Scholarship

College With The Boys

 

Joyce woke up graduation morning with high hopes. She knew she had worked so hard the past years to make it to the top. She wanted to make her parents proud.

She stood in front of the mirror and fixed her long, naturally pin-straight hair. She never puts on makeup, but today was a special day so she decided to put on some of her mom’s blush and eyeliner. Joyce was always too focused on studying to worry about her appearance to others, so she did not wear makeup or do her hair differently very often. She was definitely not the typical girly girl. In fact, she was actually the opposite, she was athletic and was ready for any challenge.

 

--Joyces POV--

I looked into the mirror after applying on some makeup.

Hey, I don’t look too bad. Maybe I should try this more often..   

I fixed my graduation gown and proceeded downstairs, finding mom and dad waiting for me.

“Omo, you are SO beautiful, baby” Mom told me as she hugged me, “I am so proud”

“Working two jobs to get your tuition paid off is definitely worth it to see my baby girl graduate,” Dad hugged me after ma. I was so thankful of my parents, they worked to the bone just to earn a living for us, and I was still too young to get a job, so I relied on my parents a lot.

“I will definitely win that scholarship today ma, dad, you’ll see” I said reassuringly, smiling big.

 

--At the Graduation Ceremony--

I waited in my seat nervously as they were about to announce who ranked #1 in my grade. My heart beat fast and I prayed they would announce my name.

“And this years #1 is none other than..” The Principle started. I swear my heart could be compared to a hummingbird’s wings, “Joyce Kim!!!”

I gasped, my heart almost exploded out of my chest as I stood up to get on stage and receive my award. The principle told a speech, explaining the scholarship award, soon I followed him after to recite my thanks, trembling as I positioned the microphone towards me.

“I would like to thank my mother and my father who throughout the years have supported me and encouraged me to do well, and my teachers who have taught me and cared for me in times of need. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to place #1, thank you!” I finished and exited.

I was greeted by teachers who were almost in tears, and my mother who was weeping happily and my father who was comforting her.

 

--August 25th, a couple months into summer--

School starts in September, which is just in a few days! I almost panicked, I was so nervous. I was going to attend a really famous school, a rich school as a matter of fact. I knew I wouldn’t be able to pay half the tuition it takes to be able to take classes there without the scholarship.

I went for the mail today and saw an official letter from Seoul Academy B College. My face was instantly questioning the letter.

What? But.. I‘m definitely supposed to be in A, NOT B, oh no.

There were two Seoul Academy’s, Academy A was for girls, and Academy B was for boys.

I snuck it into my pocket and walked back into my house. I dropped off the other mail to dad at the table. I walked to the bathroom and opened it carefully. I took out a couple pieces of paper inside, first opening one and reading it.

“Dear Parent/Gaurdian,

            We are happy to inform you that Jo Yisuh Kim will be enrolled into our school, Seoul Academy B, next year on a full time scholarship…” It kept on about dress code, acknowledgements, and rules and regulations.

Jo Yisuh? What the heck?! It took me a while to realize that this ‘Jo Yisuh’ was actually me, Joyce, except  my name was separated into syllables. No wonder why they’ve mistaken me for a guy, what the hell, shouldn’t they have my correct records?

No matter what excuse I thought of, I knew I couldn’t find a loophole out of this enrollment into an all-boy school. I couldn't burden my parents anymore for my tuition, and colleges these days, we cant handle the price it pays. And I was told by my principal that once I was enrolled, my scholarship cant be switched to a different school. It’s too late to transfer now.. I told myself

I cant tell my parents this, they’d worry about me. I just kept the letter to myself, and looked at the other paper, it was my schedule, my dorm room number, and other information about uniforms and such.

Oh boy, what am I getting myself into..I told myself as I stood in front of the bathroom mirror with a pair of scissors, completely cutting off my long hair that was into a ponytail. My hair was now transformed into a crooked bob cut.

I’ll get it trimmed right at a hairdresser’s later.. I reminded myself. And anyways, it could be fun to be in an all boy school.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey readers~ This is my first fanfic.. well.. actually its my first fanfic in over 3 years, haha! Well anyways, I hope you thought that chapter one was interesting, I needed a background to start with, so it might have been a little boring, but dont worry, chapter 2 will be better! I promise!

Please comment and tell me what you think!

I will update often! I already have 10 chapters typed out, so dont worry~ Thank you, and I hope you support me ^^