Amused

Substitute Love

“Jong Kook Oppa, this is for you.” Lizzy placed a cup of tea on the table. “This is on the house.” She winked to Jong Kook.

“Ah Lizzy you don’t have to do that.”

“It’s alright. You are our regular customer.” Lizzy smiled. “Plus this cup is made by Ji Hyo Unnie herself. She has her own way of brewing both coffee and tea.”

Since that day, Jong Kook had been frequenting Ace café almost every day. No one would ever expect Kim Jong Kook would visit a place that served coffee not to mention becoming a regular. When Gary and Dong Hoon asked the reason, he often mentioned that Ace Café gave him a sense of comfort and soothing ability. However in their heart, they felt that the real reason is because of Ji Hyo, yet kept quiet about it.

Even though Jong Kook and Ji Hyo said they will get to know each other better, they never actually had a real conversation since that day. Most of their conversation never got passed 10 sentences which included the usual greeting. Jong Kook would usually sit quietly at a corner with his laptop while Ji Hyo is busy managing her café. More often than not, Jong Kook found himself observing Ji Hyo unknowingly.

“Jong Kook Oppa, isn't Ji Hyo Unnie very attractive? ” Lizzy whispered. “I caught you staring at her a lot of times.”

“Ahh…” Jong Kook reddened, embarrassed by his own action.

“Don’t worry, Ji Hyo Unnie is pretty blank about such things.” Lizzy giggled. “If you like her, just go for it! She may look cold on the outside; she is actually a very nice Unnie. Plus she is only shy by the day. She can go real crazy when she started drinking!”

“Drinking?” Jong Kook wondered.

“Yeah! Ji Hyo Unnie really loves drinking. She toned down a little now because the café is slightly busy with less help. But if Ji Min Unnie comes back they might go crazy par…”

“Yah Lizzy!” Ji Hyo yelled after overhearing Lizzy’s words. “What nonsense are you talking about?!”

“But Unnie… I’m speaking the truth…”

“You love drinking?” Jong Kook gave Ji Hyo a questioning look as Ji Hyo walked towards the direction.

“Yes I love to drink. What’s wrong? Do i look as though I can’t drink?” Ji Hyo answered sounding slightly defensive.

“No. That’s not what I meant.” Jong Kook said. “I’m just slightly surprised. It’s just out of my expectation.”

“You only live life once right. Shouldn’t you enjoy it somehow?” Ji Hyo questioned.

Hearing these words from Ji Hyo, Jong Kook was reminded of the past……

******** Flashback********

Jong Kook and Seong Im head over to Gary’s restaurant after Seong Im’s dance performance. It was the first time that Gary and Dong Hoon met up with Seong Im since they started dating. However, it seems as though they met for a long time. There was no awkwardness in between them and she managed to catch up every single conversation with them. Seong Im was lively, cheerful and very open to strangers. It was no surprise that she managed to capture their hyung’s heart. She was really attractive.

“So Seong Im-sii..” Gary asked.

“Just call me Seong Im, Gary oppa. There is no need to be so formal.” Seong Im smiled.

“Ah yes Seong Im.” Gary laughed, finding it funny how she was so comfortable talking to someone whom she met for the first time. “How are you going to celebrate since your dance performance was successful?”

“This way!” spreading her arms indicating this dinner was how she was celebrating her successful performance.

“Eyy Hyung. This is how you treat you girlfriend. I’m slightly disappointed hyung…” Dong Hoon said jokingly.

“No. She insisted she wants a quiet dinner instead of a noisy party. That’s why I brought her here. “Jong Kook defended.

“At least we need to celebrate.” Gary stood up. “Let me get some soju for celebration.”

“AH Gary Oppa! It’s okay.” Seong Im politely rejected. “I don’t drink. In fact, I have not drank liquor before in my life.”

“Seriously? You have never drink a drop in your life?!”

“Yeah. I mean you only live life once right? So you should appreciate life by staying healthy. Liquor is really not good for your health. So oppa, try to avoid drinking as much as possible.” Seong Im looked towards Jong Kook. 

Both Dong Hoon and Gary laughed. “Hyung you really found a female version of you, someone who is just as health conscious as you.” Gary mentioned

“No! Seong Im is more health conscious. She had never drink a drop in her life while Jong Kook Hyung still drinks occasionally. You lost Hyung.” Dong Hoon said.

Four of them laughed and continued their dinner.

********* End of Flashback**********

Jong Kook laughed. He was amused by the fact that two people who looked the same  expressed this sentence so differently. “Seong Im ah, I wonder how would you feel if you two knew each other.”

“What’s so funny?” Ji hyo questioned in anger.

“Nothing, I just thought you are interestingly cute.” Jong Kook smiled.

Ji Hyo blushed. She did not know what to react in this unexpected answer. “Err... I will get busy now.”

“Why are you blushing Song Ji Hyo?! It was just a random comment! I bet he don't even meant it!” Ji Hyo scolded herself in the mind as she was walking back to the counter. Unknowingly, she began to stare at Jong Kook whenever she had nothing on hand. That was the first time she saw Jong Kook laughed and realized she had never actually looked at him properly. That stranger that she met was actually quite a handsome man. With his small eyes, killer smile, muscular body and charming voice, he could actually melt a few people hearts. “No wonder Lizzy likes to talk to him.”

Before Ji Hyo knew it, that handsome man was in front of him. “Ji Hyo-sii.”

“Ah yes?” Ji Hyo replied, feeling startled by the sudden appearance of the man.

“Thanks for the tea. The taste was perfect.” Jong Kook said.

“You are welcome.. Jong Kook-sii.” Ji Hyo replied hesitantly, letting her imagination run wild as Jong Kook spoke. She was not concentrating on the content he spoke, but rather the sound of voice, which she instantly found it appealing.

“Ji Hyo-sii, Ji Hyo-sii. Are you alright?” Jong Kook asked in a worried tone. He was afraid the woman in front of him might pass out as she was staring at him blankly. “Are you feeling unwell?”

“Oh yes, just a little tired.” Ji Hyo replied, trying to cover the fact that she was actually too concentrated on him instead of his words.

“You should get more help since your business is doing so well.”

“I do have help, but he went on a long leave. He was supposed to get me a temporary replacement, but eventually the temporary replacement never came.” Ji Hyo answered. 

“So you are not going to find more replacement?”

“We still can manage at the moment. Anyway he is coming back soon.”

“And when he comes back, Ji Hyo Unnie will kill him.” Lizzy jokingly interrupted. “But Unnie, are you sure you can manage by yourselves tomorrow? I could tell my mother ….”

“Yes Lizzy I can, just go and accompany your mother, she needs someone to be with her at the hospital.”

“You are going to be alone at the cafe tomorrow?! Didn't you collapse the previous time when you were alone?” Jong Kook who was surprised, asked her with concern. He knew Ji Hyo could not handle working alone, the flow of customer was slightly overwhelming for one person to manage.

“It's too late to find a replacement now right? I will be okay this time. It shouldn’t be a problem. I will remember to eat.”

“What if you got too busy and your gastric acted up again? “

“I won’t, I’m strong.”

“Don’t be stubborn, if you are, you would not be lying down in pain like that time.”

“Yah! I did not!”

“You did, and I don’t want to see you lying down in pain again. It pains my heart to see you lying in that way.” Jong Kook said. “What are you thinking Kim Jong Kook? Do you realize what you are saying?” Jong Kook yelled in his mind, he was afraid that Ji Hyo might misunderstand him. They are just friends; it was all weird for him to say such things out. But in his heart, he was really concerned for her. It really pained his heart to imagine Ji Hyo collapsing like that day. However, he was confused if the feelings were directed to Ji Hyo or the Seong Im in his heart.

On the other hand, JiHyo was trying to process what she heard. “Did I hear it wrongly? What was that for?” She wondered as she was not able to comprehend the meaning of that man’s words. Her heart fluttered a little when the words from Jong Kook kept echoing in her mind. “He sounded like he genuinely cared, but why? Does he… like me?” Ji Hyo thought but reassured herself she was thinking too much.

Trying to break the awkward silence both of them intended to mouth some words but stopped when they saw each other trying to talk. That awkward moment last for almost a minute till a customer came towards the counter. Ji Hyo was relieved as she had something she to attend but still replied politely assured Jong Kook, “I will take care of myself. Thank you Jong Kook-sii, I appreciated your words.”