Promised

Substitute Love

“Good morning Noona!” Kwang Soo greeted Ji Hyo cheerfully at the café. However, Ji Hyo did not respond to him. He noticed a quiet Ji Hyo sitting at a corner. “Something is not right.” Kwang Soo said in his mind. Full black clothes, black face and black coffee. Immediately he knew it, Ji Hyo is having an ultra black(bad) day. “Noona.” Kwang Soo walked up to her and smiled. “You are so early today!” Kwang Soo said in a cheerful yet shaky voice. He was trying to be careful with his words in order not to make her feel worse.

“I couldn’t sleep.” Ji Hyo said coldly. Kwang Soo could tell Ji Hyo was in an extremely bad mood. On a daily basis, Ji Hyo would drink Americano for her daily dosage of caffeine. However, when Ji Hyo was having a very bad day or some sort, she would tend to drink pure black coffee. He never understood the reason why, but he guessed it was to suit her current mood, which was extremely bitter.

“Err… Have you eaten?”Kwang Soo asked. “I can go buy breakfast for you.”

“Kwang Soo yah.” Ji Hyo said. “I’m fine. I just don’t feel like talking.” 

“Okay… Just call me if you need me Noona.” Kwang Soo went to the counter.

Ji Hyo sipped her black coffee and stared blank at the table. Her mind had been preoccupied by the argument she had last night. She knew she was in the wrong for saying some spiteful words but she still felt angry and upset at Jong Kook’s reaction. She hated the fact that he was beating around the bush when she asked him about Seong Im. She would have preferred Jong Kook to be honest in the beginning rather than being questioned and hesitative when answering. The more she thought about it, her mind went on and on about his words and her mood became worse. She became irritated when she felt someone continuously tapping her shoulder and calling out to her.

“Yah Lee Kwang Soo, I told you I don’t feel like talking.” Ji Hyo turned her back and shouted. It was then when she realized the one that had been calling her name was Gary. She stood up in the shock and greeted him. “Sorry Gary Oppa… I didn’t realize it was you…”

“I pity Kwang Soo who has to suffer the wrath of you for the whole day.” Gary commented and Ji Hyo felt a little embarrassed. “Why are you having such a bad mood?”

Ji Hyo turned quiet. She was not in the mood to talk to anyone about it.

“Did you argue with Jong Kook Hyung?” Gary asked. Hearing the name that she did not want to hear, her face turned darker. Gary took her silent as an answer. “Was it because of what Dong Hoon said yesterday?”

“No!” Ji Hyo was a little agitated. “I don’t want to talk Gary Oppa. Just… don’t want to talk.”

Gary thought for a moment. “Then let’s not talk. Come, go somewhere with me.”

“Why?” Ji Hyo questioned. “Can I just stay in the café? I really don’t feel like going anywhere.”

“Just take as you are doing me a favour and accompany me for a few hours. I will promise I will send you back here safely.” Gary dragged the reluctant the Ji Hyo out with him. Gary did not want Ji Hyo to stay in the café and continue to have bad thoughts. At this rate she was going, Ji Hyo might burst out in anger and he pitied Kwang Soo who might be the one suffering it. Therefore, he decided to bring her out for a drive.

As much as Ji Hyo was unwilling to leave the cafe, she could not reject Gary’s offer. Gary looked so persistent in bringing her somewhere and she did not want to argue with another person right now. She was already feeling so frustrated and angry with one person, she did not want to build up more anger within herself by arguing with Gary. Hence, she kept quiet throughout the whole journey until they arrived at the destination where Gary drove them to.

 “Why did you bring me here Oppa?” Ji Hyo questioned when they arrived at a Karaoke/Studio room.

“I like to visit this place whenever I’m having a bad day.” Gary spoke as he handed a microphone to Ji Hyo. “Let’s sing. Even if you don’t want to sing, just shout through the mic. Don’t worry, the walls are soundproof, no one can hear you.”

Ji Hyo was amused at Gary’s absurd suggestion. She chuckled a little and Gary was glad to see Ji Hyo’s mood lifted up a little. Both of them started to pick their song choices and Ji Hyo began to sing her heart out. Unknown to Gary, Ji Hyo actually like to sing. He was actually surprised to see how Ji Hyo was enjoying it in an instance. Both of them ended up singing together for the next few hours till the both of them are tired out.

After a few hours of singing, Ji Hyo was no longer feeling angry or upset. She felt relieved being able to sing her heart out. It’s been a while she had visit a karaoke place and was actually delighted to be holding on to the microphone the whole time. “Thank you Gary Oppa.” Ji Hyo thanked him. “I know you dragged me out to make me feel better. And I really did after singing. Thank you.” Ji Hyo smiled.

“It’s nothing Mong Ji. I’m just glad you enjoyed it.” Gary replied. “So are you ready to tell me what is going on?”

Ji Hyo kept quiet again after hearing Gary’s question. This time, she was feeling better and was thinking better. She pondered for a moment before answering Gary. “It’s just…” Ji Hyo hesitated answering.

“Just tell me Ji Hyo yah, I care about you and Jong Kook Hyung a lot. If Jong Kook Hyung hurt you, tell me, I will beat him up for you.” Gary joked. “I don’t like to see you being upset.” Gary thought in his mind.

Ji Hyo giggled at Gary’s reaction. “It’s just…  Jong Kook Oppa always beat around the bush when we were mentioning about… her…” Ji Hyo said hesitantly. “Just like the New York trip he was going. It was until I questioned him repeatedly then he admitted that she used to go along with him. It makes me wonder if he had something to hide…. Something more than that.” Ji Hyo continued. “It makes me wonder if he valued her more than me…”

“Don’t think this way Ji Hyo yah.” Gary comforted her. “Jong Kook Hyung was just afraid to hurt you. He did not want to upset about it. He told you about how he used went New York with Seong… her right?” Gary avoided saying her name out. “Did he say anything else?”

“I interrupted him before he could say anything else.” Ji Hyo confessed.

“Maybe you should have let him finished.” Gary said. “Jong Kook Hyung really likes you a lot. Dong Hoon and I could tell that. He cared for you so much, that’s why he hid that fact away from you. Just let him speak if you had the chance, you would understand what he was feeling. Believe me, he was thinking for you and not her when he hid the trip from you.”

“Really?” Ji Hyo doubted. “What makes you think so?”

“Because I know.” Gary smiled at her. The fact was, last night when Gary pulled Jong Kook to the side and talked, Jong Kook had already told him the real reason behind it. He did not want to tell Ji Hyo just yet, he rather let Jong Kook be the one to do the talking. It would have helped the both of them better instead of Ji Hyo hearing this from another. “Let’s go, let me send you back to the café.”

Ji Hyo nodded and Gary drove them back to the café. Ji Hyo was happy to have Gary to talk to just now. Without Gary bringing her out, she might have let her mind ran wild and threw tantrum in the café. They were laughing and joking all the way until they entered the café together. It was then when Ji Hyo saw a familiar face inside the café waiting for her and her smile faded.

“Hey…” Jong Kook greeted and walked up to her. He came by the café and hour ago to look for Ji Hyo after cooling down. He wanted to explain and rationalize the situation last night with her. He was surprised to know from Kwang Soo that Ji Hyo had gone out with Gary. He was not feeling comfortable hearing that, especially when they had the argument last night. It was a worse feeling to see them giggling together as they entered the café then to see her smile faded when she saw him. Despite that his heart was slightly aching, he prevented his mind from assuming the worst as he trusted the both of them.  “Can we talk?” He asked her.

“I shall leave first.” Gary told the both of them. He gave Ji Hyo a glance, reminding her that she should let Jong Kook explain before making any conclusion. Ji Hyo nodded slightly and the whole reaction was seen by Jong Kook. He looked away for a moment and pretended not to see what was in front of him.

“Kwang Soo yah, Lizzy yah, I’m going out again.” Ji Hyo informed the both of them and she left the café with Jong Kook. They quietly strolled around the area without either of them speaking. They found themselves at a park near the mall after walking a distance. Unable to take the silence, Ji Hyo decided to probe him. “Oppa… you said you wanted to talk.”

The both of them sat down at a bench then Jong Kook started talking. “I’m sorry.” Jong Kook apologized while he pulled her to his embrace. “I’m sorry Ji Hyo yah. I shouldn’t shout at you.”

“And I’m sorry for saying certain things that I don’t mean it. I was angry, frustrated and upset by you. I don’t like the fact you are hiding something from me.” She reciprocated the hug shortly and let go. She was no longer angry at Jong Kook after hanging out with Gary. She would rather hear what he had to say.

“I didn’t mean to hide anything from you.” Jong Kook looked at her.

 “So are you finally going to tell me?” Ji Hyo questioned him while looking into his eyes.

“Do you really want to hear it?” Jong Kook asked her while cupping her face. “Promise me you won’t be upset after hearing what I say.” Jong Kook looked at her. After thinking for the night, he decided that maybe it’s time for them to talk about Seong Im if Ji Hyo wanted to hear about her.

“I’m not sure.” Ji Hyo admitted. “But I promise I won’t walk out away when you said it, or get angry.”

“Well, that is the least I can have.” Jong Kook smiled at her. He once again pulled her to his embrace and her head. “Have you eaten?”

“Nope. Are you going to cook for me?” Ji Hyo requested.

“Let’s go.” Jong Kook held her hands and they drove off to Jong Kook’s house. Even though Ji Hyo looked as blanked as usual, Jong Kook could tell that she was no longer as angry as last night. They went to his house and Jong Kook cooked for her. After they were done eating, Jong Kook moved closer while they were sitting at the dining table and attempted to kiss her.

“No Oppa, not until we talked.”Ji Hyo moved away from him. “Are you going to tell me now?” Ji Hyo looked up to him.

 Jong Kook held her hands and let out a huge sigh before talking. “I’m sorry Ji Hyo yah, for avoiding the topic. What do you want to know?” Ji Hyo started questioning and Jong Kook began talking to Ji Hyo about Seong Im. He started telling her about how he met Seong Im in New York, how it became special for them. He tried to answer every single thing that Ji Hyo asked without avoid the subject. He told her how he had promised Seong Im that New York was their thing. He did not want to break it even though she was gone.  

Ji Hyo’s expression changed slightly after hearing what Jong Kook had to say. She could tell that he did not lie to her, and everything he said was what she asked. They needed to talk about it, to prevent further misunderstanding in the future. Even though she was the one that was asking all the questions, wanting to know more, she was a little upset to know that they had such great relationship in the past. She looked down thinking about it, trying to hide her expression.

“Hey Ji Hyo yah, look at me.” Jong Kook tilted her head up a little to look at her. “I’m sorry, letting you hear something that made you upset.” Jong Kook held her hands. “But that’s not my real intention from hiding from you. I didn’t want to tell you because… I don’t want you to be upset.” Jong Kook told her the real reason. “Do you remember the last time you overheard something about Seong Im?” Ji Hyo nodded at Jong Kook question. “You were so upset, you wanted to leave me. You pushed me away, you walked away from me. Even though we were not together that time, I felt hurt, I felt lost when you did that. It pained me to see you tremble, to see you trying to leave me and worse, to hear you doubt me.” Jong Kook turned softer.  “I didn’t want that to happen again… You were too important. But yesterday, you decided to doubt me again…” It was Jong Kook’s turn to look away.

“Oppa.” Ji Hyo cupped his face. “I’m sorry, I really didn’t meant what I say.” Ji Hyo felt a little guilty. “I was angry and upset at your action. You tend to look upset and avoid me when we were talking about her. It made me felt uncomfortable. It was as though you had too many things you are hiding from me. It made me feel like…. A 3rd party…”

“Please don’t feel this way, Ji Hyo yah.” Jong Kook sincerely told her. “You were never one to me. You are the one and only Song Ji Hyo. You are definitely not a 3rd party to anything.”

“So just tell me about it, tell me rather than hiding the fact. I rather be upset, than be angry and frustrated.” Ji Hyo agitatedly said. “At least I know what you are thinking, than rather feel annoyed by your vague expression. We could have talk about it better, we would not have argued last night.” Ji Hyo looked at Jong Kook looked a little upset. Immediately, she knew he was thinking about her words last night. She brought his face closer to her and pressed her lips on his, hoping this kiss would comfort him. Jong Kook responded to the kiss as he wrapped his arm around her. They broke free to catch their breath while Jong Kook held her head to be lying on his chest. “Please don’t be upset Oppa.” She spoke.

“I could never get upset for long at you, you know that? Please don’t be upset too Ji Hyo, no matter what I said, my feelings don’t lie Ji Hyo yah. My heart belongs to you right now.” Jong Kook her nodding head, comforting her as he knew she might be still a little upset. It was not going to be easy for her to hear anything about Seong Im. That why he chose not to say anything in the first place. “Let’s not fight again. Promise me you won’t doubt me again.”

“Then promise me you won’t hide anything from me Oppa.” They agreed to each other’s request and locked their lips together.

---------

As they were falling asleep on their own bed that night, both had different thoughts that were occupying their mind. Even though Ji Hyo had cleared the doubts on Jong Kook, she was still having some uncertainties that was lingering on her mind. On the other hand, Jong Kook was still thinking about Gary and Ji Hyo hanging out together alone…