Visited

Substitute Love

Ji Hyo was woken by the nauseating feeling and pounding headache. The hangover hit her hard and she was in a daze. When she was trying to fall back asleep, she heard her phone ringing. She wanted to ignore the phone call but the ringtone got too annoying after ringing for too many times. Hence, she reluctantly answered the call. “Yah! Whoever you are, you better have to good reason to call!” She shouted through the phone.

“Unnie, are you alright?”

“Oh Ji Min yah… I think I’m having a huge hangover now…” She replied Ji Min and was reminded of Ji Min’s action last night. “Yah Han Ji Min! What are you thinking last night?! How could you leave me with someone else?”

“Relax Ji Hyo Unnie, you call him in the first place. Besides, you were hoping to see him right.” Ji Min explained. “And I trust Jong Kook-sii to bring you home safely. You know you could very difficult to handle when you are drunk.” Ji Min giggled. “Anything happened?”

“Yes…. No…” Ji Hyo replied hesitantly and recalled the incident.

----------------------

Last Night Ji Hyo was pulled closer to Jong Kook as she was about to fall. Jong Kook’s arm was around her waist while her hands were placed right on his chest.  They were so close to each other that Ji Hyo could almost feel Jong Kook and her heartbeat thumping fast. That moment, she felt it; she felt the connection between both of them. She felt that the man wanted to kiss her and so does she. Ji Hyo saw the man was staring deep into her eyes then his gaze turned to her lips. Without thinking, she took the first step to close her eyes and touched his lips. She could feel the man tightening the embrace a little. The both of them closed their eyes and enjoyed the kiss more. It was as if their hearts told them they needed to feel more as they draw themselves closer. Ji Hyo slowly tried to interlock her arms around his neck. However, instead of deepening the kiss, the man quickly pushed her away….

“What was I thinking last night…” Ji Hyo questioned herself. She had gone too far from drunk calling the guy, to crying in front of him and even kissing him. Now that she was completely sober, she as so embarrassed by all her actions and words.  “I actually kissed him…. Why did I do that….” Ji Hyo was so red thinking about her action. "But eventually he still pushed me away..."

“YAH! JI HYO UNNIE!” Ji Min screamed through the phone and Ji Hyo got a shock.

“You scared me Ji Min!”

“You are the one who is scaring me when you did not reply me after a long time.” Ji Min said. “I thought you had passed out or something.”

“I was think…..” Ji Hyo hesitated before answering. “I was spacing out.”

“Aish Unnie, one day your blank-ness might scare me to death.” Ji Min mentioned. “Anyway, no matter what happened, perhaps you should thank Kim Jong Kook-sii for coming all the way down to send you home.”

“I know….” Ji Hyo replied.

“Unnie, my instinct told me that he thinks of you as more than a friend. Plus, it is because of you and not anyone else, I can feel that.” Ji Min mentioned. “He really cares for you.”

“Ji Min yah…”

“Unnie, I know the thoughts of his fiancé might be disturbing your heart. But trust me; I believe he was genuinely cares for you as Song Ji Hyo.” Ji Min assured. “If you like him, don’t let your mind control your heart.”

“I will think about it later.” Ji Hyo mentioned and both side hung up the phone after saying goodbye.

Ji Hyo was trying to fall back asleep but her mind was too occupied by Ji Min’s words. Instead of resting, she decided to call Jong Kook and thanked him.

“Yobuseyo.” A different voice answered the phone.

Ji Hyo was surprised. “I’m sorry, I must had called the wrong number.” Ji Hyo was about to hang up until she heard the man speak again.

“Wait! Song Ji Hyo-sii, is that right?” She stopped her action after hearing that man’s voice.

“Yes… who is this?”

“I’m Ha Dong Hoon, a friend of Jong Kook hyung and Gary hyung.”Dong Hoon paused for a while before speaking. “If you are wondering, Jong Kook hyung is in the hospital now.”

“Why?!”  Ji Hyo could not contain her shock. “Which hospital is he at? Can I visit him?”

Ji Hyo got the address from Dong Hoon and rushed to the hospital. When she arrived at the hospital, she noticed a guy that was staring at her the moment she came in. Instinctively, she knew that was the man on the phone. “You are Ha Dong Hoon-sii, right?” She asked that man after walking up to him.

“Yes Song Ji Hyo-sii….” Dong Hoon was slightly caught by surprise. “How did you know?”

“You had the same expression as Jong Kook-sii and Gary oppa when they first saw me.” Ji Hyo answered, “I guessed that it must be due to the same reason...”

“Oh…” Dong Hoon thought. He finally understood how his two hyungs were thinking. It was slightly difficult to accept that fact that two people could look so alike. Even though he had known Ji Hyo’s existence, he could not contain his amazement when he saw her for the first time.

“What happened to Jong Kook-sii?” She asked.

“He hurt his back.” Dong Hoon answered. “Yesterday he went to the gym and injured himself. We did ask him to visit the doctor but he insisted on resting at home. However, in the middle of the night, he called me to send him home. I was surprised when I found out he went Ilsan and was in so much pain. So, I sent him to the hospital instead. The doctor mentioned his injury was not taken care of properly and was aggravated last night. “

“It’s all my fault…” Ji Hyo uttered. After listening to Dong Hoon’s explanation, Ji Hyo felt so guilt stricken. She must have been the cause of his aggravated injury.  Yesterday she was carried by him out the club and up the stairs. Moreover, when she was struggling to break free, she was pounding him hard on the back. “How is he now?” Ji Hyo asked hesitantly. “Can I see him now?”

“He is currently resting at the private ward behind.” Dong Hoon answered. “The doctor injected some painkillers so he is sleeping deeply right now. He had not had a good rest for past few days, please try and not wake him up.”

“I will, Thank you Dong Hoon-sii.” Ji Hyo bowed slightly and turned towards the ward’s direction.

“Ji Hyo-sii…” Dong Hoon stopped her.

“Yeah?” Ji Hyo turned behind to look at him.

“Er… Nothing…” Dong Hoon mentioned. “Maybe I should not comment anything…” He thought to himself.

Ji Hyo went into the ward and spotted a sleeping Jong Kook. She sat beside him and his face. “I’m so sorry… It’s all because of me... ” Just when she was whispering, the door opened and she quickly removed her hand.

“Oh Mong Ji.” Gary sound a little surprised. “Why are you here? How did you know Jong Kook Hyung was in the hospital?” Gary asked as he closed the door.

“Gary Oppa.” Ji Hyo greeted him. “Dong Hoon-sii told me. I spoke to him when I was supposed to call Jong Kook-sii.” Ji Hyo explained. Her head was starting to pound again thinking about last night. She closed her eyes and tried to massage the temple of her head to make herself feel better.

“Ji Hyo yah. Are you alright?” Gary concerned. “You looked slightly pale.”

“I’m okay, just experiencing some headache.”

“Give me a moment.” Gary left the room and left Ji Hyo alone in Jong Kook’s room. She sat on the chair while resting her head on her hand. In actual fact, Ji Hyo came out of her house in the rush that she did not take her breakfast. The emptiness of her stomach and excessive drinking had double the effect of her headache. It was worse than usual.

 Short while later, Gary came back with a bottle of water and bread in his hand. “Here, have some water and food.” He gave the food to Ji Hyo. “You must have skipped your meals again. That’s why you looked so pale.”

“Thank you Gary Oppa. How did… you know?” Ji Hyo asked as she took the water and bread from his hand.

“Lizzy once mentioned to me that you often neglect your meal, that’s why you had a very weak stomach.” Gary answered. “Quickly eat the bread to keep your stomach filled. I do not want to visit you in the next room.”

“Thanks Gary Oppa.” Ji Hyo smiled from Gary’s little action and joke. She started to eat the bread given by Gary and felt slightly better. “Oppa, do you want some?” She offered the remaining bread to Gary.

“It’s okay. I had some food before I came.” Gary rejected.

“But you had been looking at me eating the bread.” Ji Hyo mentioned while laughing. “Here, have some.” Ji Hyo stood up and gave the bread to him.

“Just have the bread for yourselves.” Gary rejected again. “I was just worried for you Ji Hyo ah…” He thought to himself.

Ji Hyo insisted on sharing the bread as Gary rejected. They looked like a playful couple when both of them were smiling and giggling as they pushed the food to each other. Just that time, this little scene was caught by the awaken Jong Kook.

“Oh Hyung.” Gary saw the awaken Jong Kook and focused on him instead. “Are you feeling better? How could you get injured when you cared for your body the most?” Gary joked.

“I was not focusing...” Jong Kook replied weakly, seemly still feeling the drowsiness. “The two of them seems very close.” Jong Kook thought to himself, feeling a slight heartache when he saw the both of them interacting just now. “Ji Hyo-sii, why did you come? Are you feeling better?” Jong Kook asked Ji Hyo as he knew she might be suffering from hangover drinking last night.

“Why are you still so concerned for me when I’m the cause that you are in the hospital here now?” Ji Hyo thought in her mind. “Don’t be so nice to me Kim Jong Kook…. Don’t make my feelings grow…”

“Ji Hyo-sii?” Jong Kook asked again when he did not get any reply from her.

“Yeah?” Ji Hyo replied after hearing her name. “I’m okay.”

“Ji Hyo said she was having some headache.” Gary explained. “But I think she was just being herself by being blank, right Mong Ji?”

“Don’t tease me Gary Oppa.” Ji Hyo giggled. Jong Kook felt a hint of jealousy coming from his heart but concealed it by changing the topic. “Gary yah, where is Dong Hoon?”

“He is currently on the phone with Gap Jin Hyung.” Gary answered. “Let me get him in.” Gary proceeded to leave the room while leaving Ji Hyo alone with Jong Kook.

Jong Kook tried to adjust his position by sitting up. Seeing that, Ji Hyo quickly helped him and placed a pillow behind his back as a cushion.

“Ji Hyo-sii”

“Jong Kook-sii.” Both of them spoke at the same time. They looked at each other and spoke together again. “You go first.”

“It’s okay; you speak first Ji Hyo-sii.”

“I want to apologize for my behaviour last night.” Ji Hyo bowed slightly. “I was rude and speak without thinking. And because of my action, I caused you to be in the hospital…”

 “JI Hyo-sii, you don’t have to apologize, everything I did was out of my own will. It’s not your fault. I would do the same thing all over again for you.” Jong Kook assured her. Her emotions were very messed up from Jong Kook’s words. She felt more guilty hearing what Jong Kook said, yet feeling slightly delighted to know that someone could be so caring towards her but the thought of Seong Im puzzled her mind.

“And the kiss…” Ji Hyo uttered. Both of them fell silent and blushed while thinking about the kiss. Jong Kook remembered that moment when they felt connected. His heart was pounding so hard it was as if his heart was about to explode. Every part of him wanted more than a kiss; she was just too mesmerizing for him. He held her slightly tighter as she tried to hug him.”Kim Jong Kook, she is drunk. You can’t do that. She is not thinking straight and might regret it tomorrow.” His mind echoed to him and he regained his senses. Gently, he quickly let go of her.

“Hyung you are looking for me?” Dong Hoon came in along with Gary and broke the awkward silence between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo. “I had spoken to Gap Jin Hyung, he asked you not to worry about work, and he had taken care of everything.”

“Thanks a lot Dong Hoon ah.” Jong Kook received the phone from Dong Hoon that returned him.

“Anyway, I had spoken to the doctor.” Dong Hoon mentioned. “He said that there should be no problem with your nerves on the spines, but he wants you to stop strenuous exercise for a while. Also, after you may be discharged in the afternoon.

“Okay, Dong Hoon ah, don’t you have something important on later?” Jong Kook asked. “You had better get going first. I had held you up for the whole night.”

“But Hyung… Gary Hyung had to meet his supplier in the afternoon. If I’m not around, who is going to help you with your discharge procedures and send you home?” Dong Hoon asked back. “Anyway, it will happen at night, I could quickly get you home first…”

“No, you had to proceed with your plan early. You don’t want the whole proposal to be messed up and failed right? “ Jong Kook said. “I could get a cab myself. Don’t worry about me.”

“I can do it.” Ji Hyo volunteered. “I do not need to return to the café so soon.”

“It’s okay Ji Hyo-sii, there is no need to. You are feeling unwell right?”

“But I want to.” Ji Hyo insisted. “I feel better already. At least let me do something to lessen my guilt…” Ji HYo quietened but looked at Jong Kook with a pair of innocent and pleading eyes.

Jong Kook was not able to react; he wanted to reject her but he can’t seems to say no to her. Moreover, her action reminded him of how Seong Im used to look at him.  “Why are you showing me that look too? I simply can’t refuse that.” He thought to himself.

“I take your silence as a yes for now,” Ji Hyo said.

Dong Hoon looked at Jong Kook who slightly nodded. “This Hyung….” Dong Hoon shook his head. “Then Gary Hyung and I shall get going first.” 

“Er... Okay…” Gary hesitated; he did not want to leave Ji Hyo alone with Jong Kook for the moment. He was afraid that Ji Hyo might get hurt unintentionally by Jong Kook again. “Ji Hyo yah, Call me if you need anything okay.”

The two men left the ward and proceeded to the carpark where Gary would send Dong Hoon home. “Gary Hyung, You looked a bit dazed.” Dong Hoon commented. “What’s wrong?”

 “Nothing… ”

“Ji Hyo-sii really looked very similar to Seong Im.” Dong Hoon said. “No wonder Jong Kook Hyung was not being himself lately.” He mentioned. “It was such a surprise to see him getting injured. Do you think Ji Hyo- sii has anything to do with him being at Ilsan? I think I heard her saying it’s her fault.” Dong Hoon looked at Gary who was not commenting on anything. “Gary Hyung?”

“Ah yes?” Gary replied after hearing Dong Hoon calling his name. “Ji Hyo? I wonder if Ji Hyo would be okay...” Gary uttered softly.

 “This is not good. This Hyung seemed to be smitten too…” Dong Hoon instantly thought so.