Sensed

Substitute Love

****Flashback******    

Seong Im packed and took her luggage out of her apartment. She took one last look at her door and went down to her lobby with a heavy heart. That night, she had informed Jong Kook about the offer that came to her doorstep. She had requested Jong Kook to call off the wedding as she had decided to take up the offer. Jong Kook tried to persuade her to postpone the marriage instead of giving up the relationship but to no avail. She had confessed to him that this was her dream all along and she could not bear to give it up. She had once decided to give up that dream and settled down with him out of love but she was not ready at all.  Being torn by love and her dream, she had made the choice to choose her dream.

She hesitated to call Jong Kook for the last time, but decided not to. However, to her surprise, Jong Kook was waiting outside of her building when she went downstairs.

“Jong Kook Oppa…” Seong Im greeted him with an apologetic and regretful tone.

“So you really have decided to give up our wedding? Give up our love?” He questioned.

“I love you Oppa. I really do. But… maybe I’m not ready to settle down just yet. I don’t want to marry you and always think about the dream that I could have. It’s going to be at least three years… or even more… I don’t want you to wait, it’s going to be a liability… for both of us.“

“I guess there is no way that you would change your mind right?”

“Sorry Jong Kook Oppa… I’m really sorry…” Seong Im mumbled. “I got to go now…”

As Seong Im was about to leave, Jong Kook held her hand and stopped her. “Let me send you off, please?” Jong Kook requested. Seong Im smiled, trying to hold back her tears. Instead of heeding to his request, she buried herself into his chest. A goodbye hug, which was the only thing she could give him right now. “Forget me Jong Kook Oppa, find someone else that could make you happier than me. Promise me.” She softly whispered.

“Seong Im...” Jong Kook uttered. “How?”

“When one day you did, tell me. I will be happy for you.” Seong Im told him as she slowly pulled away. “Goodbye Oppa, we shall part from here.” She went off and never looked back, leaving Jong Kook standing by himself.

That night, Jong Kook could only drown himself in sorrow while Gary and Dong Hoon looked at him with confusion. He did not have a chance to tell his two dongsaengs. He thought, even till this morning when Seong Im left, he had a chance to change her mind. They did not know that she left, and he had no idea how to tell them either. His two best friends tried to probe him, but he had no clue where to start. He could only let out an empty laughter when they asked what went wrong.

“Hyung, your phone rang. The ID showed that it is Seong Im.” Gary handed him his phone that had been ringing continuously. Jong Kook quickly got took his phone and answered it. His eyes opened wide in shock, woke up from the dizziness he was feeling when he heard the voice through the phone.

“Jong Kook-sii, Seong Im… is dead.”

**** End of Flashback****

Ji Hyo sauntered towards the kitchen with a pounding head while her fiancé stared at her. The first moment when she woke up, she smiled sheepishly at her fiancé knowing that she was going to be in trouble. She had a little too fun much last night, and she needed Jong Kook to save her despite knowing she was going to get reprimanded by him. “I should probably stop you from meeting your best friend. You two and your unhealthy habits got to stop.” Jong Kook mentioned across the room as she continued to daydream while pouring a cup of water for herself.

Last night, Ji Hyo and Ji Min went for dinner and a little too much to drink. The two best friends were excitedly talking about the preparation of Ji Hyo’s wedding, the design of the wedding dress, the location of their wedding venue and more importantly, her hen’s night. They were excitedly talking and Ji Min decided to hold her a little pre-bachelorette party. They had slightly a little more fun than expected. Ultimately, she had Jong Kook to pick her up when she was pretty intoxicated.

She grinned sleepily when she heard his nagging voice across the room. He repeatedly nagged on how bad alcohol was and how she should cut down the amount of intake. Throughout his incessant nagging, she heard him uttered these words. “Could kill… Can die…” It was then, a bad and sharp feeling pierced through her heart. She dropped the glass she was originally holding.

Jong Kook heard the sound of shattering glass and rushed towards the kitchen. “Ji Hyo yah, are you alright?” Jong Kook questioned with concerned while Ji Hyo blankly stared at the shattered glass. She was in a state of shock seeing the shattered glass along with that bad feeling she had a moment ago.  “Ji Hyo!” Jong Kook shook her slightly after getting no response from her.

Regaining her senses, she looked back at the man who was looking back with a pair of concerning eyes. She hugged him swiftly, tightening her grip as seconds passed. What was the feeling she had a moment ago. It was like a bad inkling, a similar one she had when she lost her parents. She panicked, grabbing him tightly and not wanting to let him go. Jong Kook was surprised by her sudden action, but patted her head to comfort her. “Everything is okay, Ji Hyo.” He tried to assure her by reciprocating the hug.

“Something is wrong…” Ji Hyo uttered. “Something does not seems right.”

“I know… I will clean up the broken glass.” Jong Kook told her. “Have some rest Ji Hyo. You must have been too tired, that’s why…”

“It’s not that, I sensed something bad...” Ji Hyo said. “It was like the day… when my parents died.”

“You are thinking too much again, everything is fine.” Jong Kook mentioned. “Remembered the previous week you were also overthinking before my parent’s arrival? Eventually, everything turned out more than fine, you were getting along with my mother and we were happier than ever.”

“I know… But after that bad dream I had previously, I can’t help but to be a little jumpy.” Ji Hyo admitted. “I really feel that something is about to happen Oppa… Something bad is going to happen to you…”

“Don’t think so much Ji Hyo.” Jong Kook cupped her face and kissed her forehead as a form of assurance. “Maybe you had too much to drink last night, that’s why your hand was weaken and that's why you dropped the glass.” Jong Kook tried to reason to her. “Get some rest for the day, I will call Kwang Soo and inform him you are not going to the café.”

“But…”

“No more buts, only rest.” Jong Kook lightly shoved her to the room.  He saw her slowly trudged back to the bed and lay on it. She closed her eyes and tried to have more rest. She attempted to sleep but her mind was occupied by the inkling she had. It all happened too sudden and she was unable to comprehend what was the source of it. She tried to convince herself the same way that Jong Kook did but the bad feeling continued to haunt her. She tossed and turned until she saw Jong Kook fully dressed, getting ready to leave the house.

 “Where are you going?” Ji Hyo asked him. “I thought you had nothing on for the day.”

“I have some last minute work to be done.” Jong Kook answered. “I will get home as soon as I’m done. Meanwhile, don’t overthink and rest.”

“Oppa.” She called him and he turned around to look at her. “What were you saying when I dropped the glass earlier?”

Jong Kook was a little puzzled by Ji Hyo’s question but still answered her. “I was saying too much alcohol could kill. Even the strongest person can die from alcohol poisoning.” Jong Kook sighed when he saw Ji Hyo looked a little scared by his words. “Ji Hyo, I didn’t mean to scare you by saying those words. I just want you to cut down the alcohol intake.” He explained.

She nodded slightly but she was still frightened. In her mind, she was not really concentrating about how alcohol could kill, but rather the sharp feeling that came along with it. Even though Jong Kook had said those words to her, she felt that it was going to be directed at Jong Kook.  “Could you at least accompany me till I fall asleep?” She pleaded and Jong Kook gave in.

He lay beside and cuddled her tenderly. “Ji Hyo yah, try and get some rest. By the time you are awake, I should be back. I promise.” Jong Kook smiled and Ji Hyo felt slightly relieved. He hummed a tune for her as she let her guard down. Slowly, she fell back to sleep.

----------------

Hours passed and Ji Hyo felt more refreshed after a better rest. Her stomach was growling so she gradually opened her eyes and made her way to the kitchen. Upon arrival at the kitchen counter, she felt a piercing pain coming through the sole of her foot. She lifted it up and realized that there was a tiny shard of glass that was not cleaned up. Her foot was bleeding so she carefully made her way to nearest chair. With her foot being in pain, a sudden thought flashed into her mind that Jong Kook was not home. She looked through her phone and saw that Jong Kook left her a couple of messages saying that he would be coming home slightly later. She was once again reminded of her bad inkling.

Today had been a strange day. Firstly, she had that bad feeling. Secondly, Jong Kook had to leave his house because he had some emergency matters to attend. Thirdly, Jong Kook is coming home late and he only informed her through texts.  Receiving text was not a problem but it felt strange. She was not worried that he was hiding something, but she wondered if he was in any form of trouble. Instead of letting her thoughts continued to mess up her mind, she decided to call him to find out where he was right now.

She dialled the number repeatedly yet his line was engaged. Her mind was more messed up than before as she could not get through him. What’s worse, the pain of her foot reminded her that she was bleeding. She added her bleeding foot to the list thing that made the whole day strange. As she about to put down her phone, it rang and she quickly answered it.

“Yobuseyo. My sleeping beauty, you are awake! I expected you to sleep longer.” Ji Hyo heaved a sigh of relief when she heard Jong Kook’s voice emitting through the phone. “Are you feeling better? Did you really miss me so much that you had to call me repeatedly?” Ji Hyo heard Jong Kook’s chuckle through the phone and was glad that nothing seemed wrong on Jong Kook’ side.

“Kim Jong Kook-sii, I’m trying to find out where my fiancé went. He promised me that he would be back by the time that I’m awake. Yet the house is empty and I’m alone. Do you have any ideas where he went?” Ji Hyo questioned jokingly.

“Actually he is on his way home now.  I was supposed to reach home earlier but something cropped up and I had to make a detour. That’s why I’m slightly off schedule.”

“Oppa, you scared me. I thought something had happened to you.” Ji Hyo told him. “Everything seemed weird today.” She commented.

“You are being a little paranoid again.”

“It’s not about being paranoid. It’s just that inkling I had kept haunting me. Then somehow you did not come back on time and I cut my foot…”

“You cut your foot?!” Jong Kook sounded surprised.

“It was just a tiny shard of broken glass, nothing too much of a big deal. You breaking your promise and coming back late was a bigger one. Don’t scare me like that Oppa, not after the inkling I had earlier. Are you going to be back soon?” She further questioned.

“Relax Ji Hyo yah, I’m on my way home now. You are going to see me in fifteen to twenty minutes.”

“I hope so...” Ji Hyo sighed once again. “Just be safe Jong Kook Oppa. I miss you.”

“And I missed you too.” Jong Kook replied. “Ji Hyo, I will be back as soon as possible. Clean up your wound first. When you are done, I should be back home. By then, you will be inside my arms, telling me you could not breathe because I hugged you too tightly or whining to me, asking me to help you with your injury.” He giggled and Ji Hyo let out a smile.

“I will be waiting. I love you Oppa.” Ji Hyo said lovingly.

“And I love y…” All of a sudden, it happened too fast. Ji Hyo heard a loud screech and followed by a crash. The next thing she knew, the phone went dead.

 “Jong Kook Oppa?! JONG KOOK OPPA!!!!” She shouted through the phone.

-------

Will edit the mistakes later. Thanks for reading. :)

Ps: Don't talk on the phone while driving please! safety is important!