Talked

Substitute Love

***Flashback****

Jong Kook and Seong Im were walking towards the ballroom with their hands held tight. This is the first time Seong Im was accompanying Jong Kook to his company event. Even though Seong Im was used to seeing some of the familiar faces in the company when she went up to his office, it was still very nerve wrecking for her to be in an official event as his girlfriend.

“Kookie Oppa, I feel so nervous.” Seong Im mentioned.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Jong Kook turned to look at the woman he was holding tightly.

“It’s the first time I’m going into such event.” Seong Im mentioned. “I don’t know if I will be used to it.”

“You can dance in front of a whole group of audience on the stage alone but you can’t handle a simple event?” Jong Kook laughed.

"This is different Oppa." Seong Im said. "I'm not used to situation like this."

”Babe, you will be fine. Just stay with me the whole time. If you feel uncomfortable, we will leave early okay.” Jong Kook comforted her.

 Seong Im nodded and they proceeded to enter into the ballroom. Many turned to look at the couple who just walked in, the man who was looking all suave held the hand of the woman who looked sweet and demure. Instantly, they became the center of the attention. Many came up to greet Jong Kook and he started to introduce Seong Im to his business partner. “This is my girlfriend, Cheong Seong Im.” Seong Im greeted to each of Jong Kook’s business partner professionally.

 “It is a pleasure to finally meet you in person Cheon Seong Im-sii, I can see why Mr Kim is always talking about you.” One of the business partners mentioned. “Mr Kim, you made a very good choice.”

“The best.” Jong Kook added and it made Seong Im grinned shyly while the men laughed. Short while after they came in, Jong Kook was called out to attend some urgent matter. Unwillingly, he left Seong Im alone at a table while going somewhere else. When he was away, he was afraid that Seong Im might not be able to handle the crowd alone. Therefore, he tried to settle it quickly and hurried back to look for her. To his surprise, Seong Im managed to mingle with some people around. She was seated with some of Jong Kook’s colleagues at a table making conversation comfortably. He heaved a sigh of relief as and he walked towards her side.

“So I see the lovebirds can’t be separated even for a moment.” One lady in red jokingly said. “It was a pleasure to know you Cheon Seong Im-sii, see you around.” She left after grabbing a drink from the table to make way for Jong Kook.

“It seems like you had totally familiarized yourselves around here.” Jong Kook smiled as he sat beside Seong Im. “Guess I do not need to accompany you for the night already.”

“No Oppa! Please stay with me.” Seong Im quickly grabbed Jong Kook’s left arm. “You promised you would be by my side tonight.”

“Because I thought you are not used to it.” Jong Kook replied. “Turned out you totally adapted yourselves within minutes.”

“It’s all for you Oppa.” Seong Im smiled. “If I can’t handle such sitatution, you might bring some other girl as your +1 next time. How could I allow that to happen? Plus, there are so many pretty ladies around; I have to distract you from them.”

 “My little Seong Im is jealous.” Jong Kook giggled.  

“I’m not jealous!” Seong Im defended. “I just want to protect what is mine.” She said that while pouting her lips.

“That’s why you are my girl and my eyes are always for you.” Jong Kook returned her cute expression with a peck on her lips.

***End of Flashback***

“I dont understand. You two are not a couple? Not after your multiple dates?” Ji Min asked in astonishment.

Ji Hyo nodded while sipping her coffee.

“Aish Unnie, what are you thinking?!” Ji Min sounded a little agitated.

“We just thought we wanted to know each other better.” Ji Hyo explained. “We don’t want to rush into a relationship just like that.”

“We?” Ji Min questioned. “You two talked about this before?”

“No… But that was what both of us were thinking about.” Ji Hyo said. “It will be good if we remained as friends to get to know each other better first.” After that date along the Han River, to Kwang Soo and Ji Min’s disappointment, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo remained as friends. Even though they felt the mutual feelings that had for each other through the kiss, they wanted to know each other better. Neither of them wanted to risk rushing into the relationship too fast. They knew Jong Kook needed time to sort out his own feelings while Ji Hyo needed time to convince herself that she was not overthinking.

“But Unnie, do you still like him?” Ji Min questioned.

“Yes…” Ji Hyo admitted.

“And you managed to just hang out with him while knowing your own feelings?” Ji Min asked.

Ji Hyo nodded. For the past one month, they had been meeting up almost every alternate day. Jong Kook would either ask her out for dinner or meet her at the café. They avoided getting too close to each other despite being attracted to each other. However, they managed to talk comfortably to each other and knew each other better. Being a health freak as he was, Jong Kook started nagging at Ji Hyo’s unhealthy habit like skipping meals and high amount of caffeine and liquor intake.  Even though Ji Hyo could not take his constant nagging, inside her heart she felt warm and touched to know that he was so caring towards her. Furthermore, Jong Kook even became good friend with Kwang Soo where the latter would join him at the gym occasionally.

Ji Min shook her head at Ji Hyo answer. “Aish Unnie, I could never understand what you are thinking right now. So, nothing happened after that day?”

“Nothing, what do you want to happen?”

“I don’t know. The way you and Jong Kook-sii interacted made it seems that you two are more than friends already. I would not be surprised if something else happened.”

“Nothing!” Ji Hyo defended herself agitatedly after getting Ji Min’s hint. “No hug, no kissing and definitely not what you are thinking!”

“Relax Unnie. I was just joking.” Ji Min chuckled. “But, are you happy as the way it is right now?”

“I guess so. I feel comfortable like this.” Ji Hyo thought. However, deep down in her heart, she felt that she wanted something more, something more than the situation now.

“So you intend to remain as friends forever?” Ji Min asked in a concerned tone.

“Why did you ask that?”

“I don’t want you to get hurt Unnie.” Ji Min feared. “I’m afraid even though nothing is going on between you two at the moment, I feel that as the time gets longer, the emotion you are investing get greater. Ultimately, it might go haywire. You should not drag this for too long. Both you and Jong Kook-sii should do something about it if you two really like each other.”

Ji Hyo said nothing but smiled at Ji Min.

“Or you had planned to do something, like confessing?” Ji Min guessed from Ji Hyo’s sudden smile.

“No, I was just so happy that you were so concerned for me.” Ji Hyo replied. “You sound like the Unnie now.”

“Aish Ji Hyo Unnie, I’m being serious right now!” Ji Min sighed. “You should really do something about it. Either move on or break it off before something more happen. No matter what decision you make, as long as you are happy, I will be happy for you.” Ji Min stood up to hug Ji Hyo. “Please promise me you won’t drag this for too long and hurt yourselves.”

“I understand Ji Min. I will know what to do.” Ji Hyo reciprocated the hug.

“Am I interrupting something?” Jong Kook asked when he appeared out of nowhere.

“No Jong Kook-sii, I was about to leave. She is all yours.” Ji Min gave another goodbye hug to Ji Hyo. “Don’t forget about what we said earlier.” Ji Min left after waving goodbye to Kwang Soo and Lizzy.

“Are you two talking about me?” Jong Kook asked out of curiousity.

“It was some girl’s heart to heart talk.” Ji Hyo smiled. “What brought you here Jong Kook Oppa, I thought you were busy today?”

“My meeting ended early so I’m going to have dinner with Gary and Dong Hoon upstairs.” Jong Kook replied. “I thought I popped to see if you are around.”

“Your ‘weekly affair’?” JI Hyo giggled.

“You can always join us.” Jong Kook suggested. “I’m pretty sure the both of them do not mind.”

“It’s alright, but I could walk up with you though.” JI Hyo said. “I’m supposed to bring Gary Oppa coffee.”

“Then do you want to go now?” Jong Kook asked.

“Just give me a moment.” Ji Hyo quickly brewed and packed the coffee that was meant for Gary. Thereafter, both of them slowly strolled over to Gary’s restaurant.

Arriving at Gary restaurant, they were greeted by Gary who gave Jong Kook a brotherly hug and three of them made their way to the usual room.

“Mong Ji what brought you here?” Gary asked. “Are you joining us for dinner?”

“No Gary Oppa. I don’t want to spoil you brotherly moment.” JI hyo laughed. “I just came here to say hi plus giving you a special delivery.” Ji Hyo handed the cup of coffee to Gary.

“You know you are making me addicted to your coffee.” Gary joked. “But I will still finish it up. Thanks, Mong Ji.” To Gary, Ji Hyo made the best coffee. Moreover, after Ji Hyo knew Gary’s preference and taste, she brewed a special recipe solely for Gary. Since then, it was the only type of coffee he drank. “Are you sure you do not want to join us?”

“Nope, I have food downstairs. I shall get going now.” Ji Hyo waved goodbye to the two men.

“Ji Hyo yah, I will pick you up tomorrow. Don’t be late.” Jong Kook reminded her and they both smiled at each other before Ji Hyo left.

After a moment of silence, Gary started the conversation. “Hyung, are you together with Ji Hyo?” Gary finally mustered up his courage to ask the question he had wanted to ask for weeks. He could see that something is going on between the both of them, especially by the way that they looked at each other. Moreover, he did notice how comfortable they were with each other.

“No.” The word that came out of Jong Kook’s mouth surprised Gary. “But you two…”

“We are just friends... for now.” Jong Kook interrupted before Gary could continue. “Gary ah, will you be okay if I get together with Ji Hyo?” Jong Kook asked cautiously. He had wanted to ask this question for a long time. He could tell that the way Gary looked at Ji Hyo more than a friendly gaze, he just did not had a chance to ask him.

“Why not?” Gary coolly replied. “I will be happy for you hyung. If that is what you and Ji Hyo wanted, I will be really happy.”

“Really?” Jong Kook asked again. “Do you like… Ji Hyo?”

“Me?” Gary let out an empty laughter while looking away from Jong Kook. “She is like my little sister.” Gary calmed down and looked seriously towards Jong Kook. “Just don’t make my little sister cry.”

Jong Kook did not pursue further as Gary’s expression had already betrayed him. Gary liked Ji Hyo a lot and maybe much more than he expected. Nevertheless, he knew what Gary meant he said, he would really be happy if Ji Hyo was happy. “I promise you Gary, I will keep her happy.” Jong Kook promised in his mind.

“Why are you two staring at each other?” Dong Hoon who came in late was puzzled by the two’s action. “You could have started without me.” 

Two men, who turned to look Dong Hoon, looked back at each other and laughed heartily. This action made Dong Hoon more confused as he did not understand what was going on. “How could we have started without you?” Jong Kook mentioned. “Come, let’s eat.” He gestured to Dong Hoon and the three of them began eating.

While they were eating, Jong Kook looked at Gary and thought to himself. “Thanks Gary for your blessing. Now I just have to confirm Ji Hyo’s feeling.”