Returned

Substitute Love

I thought I had lost everything… Till I met her…


“Hyung! Welcome back Hyung!”

‘Yah Dong Hoon ah.” Jong Kook hugged his best friend after landing at Seoul. Being away for almost a year, it feels good to see his best friend again. Jong Kook left Seoul for New York after losing the love of his life,  Cheon Seong Im.

A Year ago, he was the happiest man on earth, Jong Kook was getting ready to be married to his fiancé. Everything was perfect, they were preparing to get engaged, and thereafter they would go to New York for their Honeymoon. New York was a special place to them. That was the place where they first met, fell in love and started their relationship. Jong Kook had never felt so certain about a woman in his life before. He knew from the moment when their relationship began, he was ready to spend the rest of his life with her. However, fate seems to be playing a trick on him, just a month before their wedding, an accident had acclaimed her life. Jong Kook was devastated. From that day onwards, he could never truly feel anymore. He had decided to continue their supposed honeymoon trip, alone.

“Hyung, it’s good to have you back again.” Ha Dong Hoon mentioned. “Everyone here had missed you.”

“Sorry Dong Hoon, I needed the trip to calm myself down.” Jong Kook explained. Dong Hoon nodded. He understands what his hyung meant. He had known him for more than 10 years. It wasn’t possible to not understand him well. He knew the loss of Seong Im was a huge blow as he never seen his hyung loved anyone more than her. He knew he couldn’t stop him from leaving a year ago. Under the huge muscle of Jong Kook, was actually an emotional being. He saw his hyung fell apart when he heard the devastating news regarding her death. “Perhaps the trip will make him feel better.” He thought at that time.

“Lets go. Gary Hyung is waiting.” Dong Hoon said as he carried Jong Kook’s luggage.  It was an hour long drive before they reached the destination, the restaurant that was open by Kang Gary, his other best friend. The three of them had been good friends for more than a decade. Before the incident, they usually hang out at least once a week, mostly at Kang Gary’s restaurant as it is opened in Jk Mall, which is convenient for the three of them.

 Jk Mall was owned by Jk Group, and Jong Kook was the successor of Jk Group. After taking over the company from his father, Jong Kook had done a fantastic job bringing the organization from the verge of facing bankruptcy to a successful one. In the industry, everyone has a nickname for him, Jong Kook the commander. He was able to successfully command and lead everyone in the organization to the success they had garnered till now.

 Before he left for New York, he had asked his most trusted employee Gap Jin to take care of the organization. Gap Jin did not fail him; he had done a great job managing the organization after his departure which made him felt relieved. That was one reason he was able to leave Seoul without any worry. Now that he is back, he had decided to focus on his career instead of thinking about Seong Im. Because he knew, Seong Im would not want him to waste his life away mourning for her. It might be hard, but he will try to put her death behind him and focus on what’s ahead. He decided not to get into another relationship as he knew, nobody could ever replace Seong Im in his heart.

 Arriving at the restaurant, Jong Kook was greeted and led into their VIP room by Kang Gary. The three of them hanged out like how they did in the past. Catching up what had happened for the past 1 year. It’s as if nothing had changed, except for the fact that the glow that Jong Kook used to have was gone. He was a little quieter compared to the past where he was more naggy when lecturing his two dong saeng.

“Hyung, what is your plan after coming back?” Dong Hoon asked.

“I will be heading back to the company tomorrow. It’s time for me to assume my responsibilities.” Jong Kook replied.

“Jong Kook Hyung, shouldn’t you rest for a few more days. You had a long flight from New York. Are you sure you will have the energy to work tomorrow? “

“ It’s okay. I had left Gap Jin to do my work for me for too long. It’s about time for me to resume my duties.” Jong Kook answered. Dong Hoon and Gary looked at each other. They know it is useless to continue to advice their hyung as he would still insist on working tomorrow. Deep down in their heart, they know that Jong Kook just want to use work to numb himself from the loss of Seong Im.

“Then let’s call it a day.” Dong Hoon said. “You need some rest before starting work tomorrow.”

“You two go ahead, I will be heading some where else after the closing.” Gary mentioned.

“Hyung. Just wait outside. I will go get the car.”

Jong Kook walked out of the restaurant, waited outside the mall looking around at the surrounding. He doesn’t deny it, after staying at New York for a year, he does miss this place. Being alone waiting for Dong Hoon, he can’t help but to think of Seong Im again….

****Flashback****

Location: New York City, Empire State of building

At the top of empire state of building, this is where he met her…

Jong Kook was looking at the scenery of New York at the top of empire state of building. He was on a business trip and his business associate had recommended him to visit here since it was his first visit to New York. There were many people admiring the scenery, but he noticed this especially excited girl. She seemed so excited jumping around and taking photograph everywhere. “She is very beautiful...” He thought to himself. Her long hair that was flowing while she was jumping around, her sweet smile and big eyes that were so mesmerizing while she was excited being here.

The girl stopped jumping after noticing someone was staring at her. Slowly, she walked towards Jong Kook. “Did she catch me staring at her?” His heart started pounding after realizing he was caught. In a flash, she was right in front of him. “Excuse me… “Jong Kook’s heart almost stopped, trying to make up any excuse he could think of when he was questioned. “Could you…. Take a photo…” The girl was doing the action of taking a photo.

Jong Kook heaved a sigh of relief. He helped the girl take her photo while she pose excitedly. “Thank you!” She exclaim happily while skipping away. “Thankfully, she didn’t catch me” Jong Kook murmured. After the girl left, Jong Kook noticed a bracelet that was on the floor, he remembered it was on the girl while she was posing with her twist sign. “It must have dropped when she was taking her camera back.” Jong Kook thought to himself. He picked up the bracelet, looked at the heart shape pendant on it. There was some carving on the pendant.

“C.S.I”

***** End of Flashback *****

“Seong Im ah, how I wish you could be here with me right now…” Jong kook keeping his eyes closed trying not to let his emotions overwhelmed him again. Even though it has been a year, the emptiness he felt when Seong Im left was still around. No matter how much he tried, he could never feel complete again.

As he opened his eyes, looking around and wonder where Dong Hoon is, he saw a mysterious figure from far that caught him by surprise. There was a woman with her hair neatly tied up, wearing full black jumpsuit with a black leather jacket crossing the street at the junction. What caught his attention wasn’t her dressing or her action but rather her face.  His small eyes opened so wide because he could not believe what he saw.

“Seong Im…”