Teared

Substitute Love

****Flashback*****

Jong Kook arrived at the hospital to see a few forlorn faces. The first thing he did was to walk up her manager and questioned her. He wished that the phone call he picked up earlier was a joke, or perhaps he was too intoxicated that he had misunderstood her words. However, he collapsed when he heard “I’m sorry…” He stood by the corner, trying to digest the truth.

“This is not possible, I only saw her earlier in the day.” He mumbled. As times passed, more questions starting popping out of his mind and he continuously questioned himself. “Is this a joke? Seong Im must be avoiding me that is why she got her manager to say such things, right? This can’t be true, can it?” Soon, all these questions turned to blames. He blamed himself. He blamed himself for not insisting her to stay. Had he not agree to her request, had he just be more persistence, more persuasive, she might have agreed to stay.

“How could fate play such tricks on me?” He uttered. “We were supposed to get married, you agreed to my proposal. We were getting ready for our life together. And then you decided to leave me for your dream.” He recalled the day when she suggested calling off the wedding. He was stunned by her suggestion. She was so determined and it seemed that no words could change her mind. Hence, he half heartily agreed.

“I should have been more persuasive. Why did I let you go? Or maybe… I should have gone to the airport with you. Why did I heed to your request and allow you to leave alone. You were supposed to leave for only three years or so, not forever…” He continued to mumble as tears streamed down his face. If this did not happen, he could have waited for her, or even went after her. He would have travelled around the world with her, accompanied her as she performed. But right now, this tiny possibility of getting her back is gone. She would never be by his side because it was impossible. “She is gone… for good.” His mind echoed.

“Hyung, I’m sorry for your lost...” Dong Hoon offered his condolences. All this happened too abruptly, he had not even figured out why Jong Kook was drinking and they received the news that Seong Im is dead.  Both Gary and he looked at the devastated Jong Kook, not knowing what else they can be done.

 “I should have been more persistence Dong Hoon yah.” Jong Kook told the puzzled Dong Hoon which confused him further. “I should have stopped her from leaving…”

“Hyung, there is nothing you can do.” Gary added. “Death is inevitable. If her time is up, you could not have stopped her from leaving the world…” Both of them tried to comfort him, not knowing his meaning of ‘leaving’ was letting her go to New York.

 “There is… If I had convinced her to stay, this would not happen. I should have been more persistence. I should have persuaded her to stay…”

**** End of Flashback****

“It’s all my fault.” Ji Hyo repeatedly uttered as she stood outside the emergency room. “Song Ji Hyo, why did you have to call him? Congrats, you had caused him to be in an accident, just like how you caused your parents’ death." She mocked herself. "You are a jinx. You brought nothing but trouble to everyone.” She continuously mumbled until someone patted her shoulder. She looked up and saw Gary standing in front of her.

She was too afraid to call his parents. They were travelling around the world and she did not want to worry them. She was pretty sure Jong Kook would not want them to know about it either. While she was on the way to the hospital, she could only called Gary, her voice trembling in fear trying to explain to him the incident. However, her mind was not cooperating in her and Gary could not comprehend what she was saying. Gary asked her to calm down while making his way down to her location.

“What’s going on? Did something happen to Jong Kook Hyung?” Gary asked.

“It’s my fault…” She repeated. “I caused him to be in this state…” She looked down and murmured as her tears fell, her voice quivered while she mentioning the same sentence repeatedly.

“Song Ji Hyo! You have to calm down!” Gary shook her slightly and she looked up. “Reorganize your thoughts, then start explaining again. There is no use if you continue to mumble your way.”

Ji Hyo paused for a moment then did what she was told. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before explaining what had happened. “Today…. Everything seemed wrong… I was having this weird feeling in the day but Oppa said I was paranoid…” She hesitated, remembering the bad premonition. “Then I was worried when he wasn’t back like he was supposed to. So I called him while he was on his way home. We were talking and all of the sudden, I heard a loud bang coming from the phone and it went dead. When I tried to call back, I could not get through…. The next thing I knew I was informed that he was in a car accident.” Her tears rushed down uncontrollably, feeling the guilt that was rushing to her mind.

 “It’s all my fault Gary Oppa. I should not have called him. Jong Kook Oppa must have seen the multiple missed calls I left and called back because he was worried. I should have not been so paranoid. I should have listened to him. Maybe, he will not be lying in the room right now...” The more she thought about it, the guiltier she felt. She covered her face as her sobbing turned louder. She fell weak on her knees.

As a friend, Gary offered his embrace. He rested her head on his shoulder as she continued to sob. They stayed in the same position till the arrival of Dong Hoon. By the time, Ji Hyo had stopped tearing and the three of them sat outside of emergency room, waiting for good news. She closed her eyes and prayed, wishing that Jong Kook would be fine. She turned to look at Dong Hoon who was walking away to inform Byul that he was in the hospital, then Gary who was staring at the corner of wall, looking as worried as her.

That sudden moment, she felt sorry for Gary. She remembered how Gary was always by her side when she needed someone. The first ever time she cried about Jong Kook, he was the one beside her too. Gary had always taken notice of her little behavior, always caring for her when she needed help. Even when she pushed him away due to her own selfish reasons, Gary was still by her side. Jong Kook had mentioned the incident when she was drunk, Gary was the one to save her from causing more trouble, and she had yet to thank him for it.

“I’m sorry Gary Oppa.” She apologized, hanging her head. She was sorry that she pushed him away. She felt bad that even though Jong Kook had asked her to talk to Gary, she never did. She felt guilty that it took this moment of crisis to call him. She had called him not only because that Gary was Jong kook’s best friend, but also because she trusted him so much. There was no need to avoid Gary. He had always known his place even before she knew the truth. He had never acted inappropriately. She was the one who had overreacted due to her foolishness.  “I don’t expect you to forgive me for my selfishness. I should not have acted the way I did. You are my good friend and you definitely do not deserve such treatment.”

 “Mong Ji, there is no need for apology. Like I said before, I’m always around when you need me. You are like the sister I never had. Have been, and always will be.”

“Aren’t you mad at me? Mad at what I did to you?” She asked.

“Why should I?” Gary questioned. “You are just being you, Mong Ji. ” Hearing those words from Gary brought a tiny smile to her face. There was no need for additional words. The two of them had understood each other and knew their places. Gary will always have a special place in Ji Hyo’s heart. He will always be a good friend, a good brother she was glad to have. And Ji Hyo too, will always occupy a special place in Gary’s heart. Even though he knew that they will never be lovers, he was contented just to be by her side.

“Everything will turn out to be fine Ji Hyo yah.” Gary draped his hands around her shoulder as he reassured her. Dong Hoon too, offered his words of assurance and the trio patiently waited. Thereafter, the doctor walked out, informing the trio that Jong Kook was out of danger. However, he was still in a coma and had to be kept under observation. He was then transferred to a private ward.

-----------------

For the next few days, Ji Hyo had accompanied the unconscious Jong kook. She had requested Kwang Soo to manage the café while she stayed in the hospital. She had spent most of the day in his ward and was only willing to leave the hospital when Gary or Dong Hoon had urged her to rest. Even so, she only took a couple of hours of sleep, changed a fresh set of clothes, then travel back to the hospital. It had almost become a routine where Gary or Dong Hoon had to lecture her until she reluctantly catch more sleep by resting on the couch of Jong Kook’s private ward.   

A week passed but nothing had changed. The trio remained positive and the routine continued. Like the past few days, Ji Hyo would grab a cup of coffee from the vending machine before going into the ward. She trudged along the corridor,crossing path with a few nurses that were conversing.

“Have you heard, the patient from ward 5A had passed away this morning.”

She froze when she overheard those nurses talking about it. She knew the patient. He was the owner of the vehicle that crashed into Jong Kook’s car. She ever wanted to barge into the room to blame the man but Gary had stopped her from acting rashly, saying it was pointless because the man was unconscious just like Jong Kook.

“Song Ji Hyo, Jong Kook will be fine.” She thought to herself. “That man was in a more serious condition… That’s why… He did not make it…” She tried to convince herself as she entered the ward. When she stood in front of the door, she imagined that Jong Kook was sitting upright smiling at him. However reality kicked in when she opened the door, Jong Kook remained in the same position. She placed the coffee on the side table and sat beside him.

“Oppa, it’s been a week.” She spoke to him. “You are going to lose all your muscle at this rate.” She tried to joke but she could not bring herself to smile. “Do you know, the person that crashed into your car… had passed away…” Her voice turned softer. “You are not allowed to do the same thing Kim Jong Kook. Do you understand?” She looked at him but he remained unresponsive.

“When are you going to wake up Kim Jong Kook?” Ji Hyo held his hand and asked. “I’m tired of coming to the hospital just to watch you sleep.” She sandwiched his hand between her hand and face. “I’m supposed to be the sleepyhead Kim Jong Kook, not you.” She blinked and tears streamed down her cheeks. “Wake up, will you?” Her voice muffled.

“I need you Oppa…. Don’t leave me.” She uttered dejectedly. For the past few days, she had held back her tears, putting up a strong front for everyone. However, after hearing the death involved party, fear started to creep in and her shield weaken. Her lips quivered as tears continued to stream down. “Wake up please….”

“Mong Ji.” She heard Gary calling her and quickly wiped off her tears. “You came by too early again. Yesterday you promised you would only drop by in the afternoon.” He reminded her.

“I had enough sleep at home. Plus I feel like staying a little longer today so I came down earlier.” Ji Hyo continued to look at Jong Kook and avoided his stare. Gary sighed, knowing that her voice had betrayed her act. He knew she was crying, but decided not to probe her knowing she was hiding it. “This won’t do Ji Hyo yah, you need to sleep more. I don't want to see you being admitted to the next ward for exhaustion.  You need to get more rest.”

“I will. I just wanted to see him a little longer today.”

“Have you eaten?” Gary heard no response from her. “This won’t do too Ji Hyo. Don’t neglect your health. You have to eat. Let me get some food for you.”

“Is alright Gary Oppa, I can do it myself.” She let go of his hand and walked towards the door. “I will be back soon.” Not wanting to trouble him, she left the room and proceeded to the vending machine. Gary then turned to look at Jong Kook. He noticed a subtle movement from his hand and started calling out to him. “Hyung! Jong Kook Hyung!”

Jong Kook slowly opened his eyes. His eyes wandered about the room, taking in the unfamiliar setting before finally meeting Gary's. Holding his gaze Jong Kook asked weakly, "What’s going on… Why am I here…”

“You met an accident.” Gary briefly explained. “You are finally awake Hyung. We were so worried for you. You had been unconscious for more than a week.” Gary smiled. “Just wait, let me call for the doctor.”

When Gary rushed towards the counter, he met Ji Hyo who was walking back to the ward. Gary smiled at her, implying there is good news waiting in the room. She quickened her steps and opened the door. She fixed his gaze at the awoken Jong Kook and ran towards him. “Jong Kook Oppa, you are awake!” She held his hand.

“Hey Babe…. You are here…” Jong Kook smiled weakly.

“I’m always here Oppa.” This time, tears of relief welled up in her eyes before slowly tracing their way down her face. “Don’t do that to me anymore Jong Kook Oppa. You scared the hell out of me. I cannot lose you Oppa.”

“Then don’t you… leave me again…” Jong Kook requested weakly. “I don’t … want to lose… you either… Stay by my side, will you?”

 Ji Hyo was a little confused at Jong Kook’s incoherent words. “I’m here Oppa. I will always be by your side. I won’t leave you.”

“Thank you.” Jong Kook then smiled. He gripped her hand a little tighter and she held it close to her face. The two then gazed at each other lovingly before Ji Hyo spoke again. “I love you, Kim Jong Kook.” She confessed, not knowing the next thing he said almost killed her heart. 

“I love you too, Cheon Seong Im.”

 

--------------