Understood

Substitute Love

Jong Kook went for a late morning run as he was not sleeping well the past two days.  “Did your concern for me come out from the love for her?” These words had been echoing in his mind for the past two days. He was not able to concentrate in anything and almost hurt himself in the gym yesterday. Till now, he was not able to get an answer from Ji Hyo’s question. “Did I really treat Ji Hyo as Seong Im?” He wondered while he was running. In the midst of the run, he received a call from Gary. 

“Jong Kook hyung, are you at home?” Gary asked through the phone.

“I am running, I will be heading home soon. What’s wrong?” Jong Kook replied.

“I need to talk to you. I will be coming over to your house now.”

Jong Kook ran back after ending the call with Gary. It was rare for Gary to visit him unexpectedly, especially at a timing he would be staying at his restaurant. Hence, he went back swiftly to wait for Gary.

Shortly after he reached home, Gary arrived at his doorsteps. He had asked Gary to make himself home while he went to shower. Coming out of the shower, he saw Gary had been on the phone with someone.

“Mong Ji, are you feeling better?” Gary was speaking on the phone. “It’s nothing. Don’t work too late tonight. You should rest well. Call me if you need me.” Gary smiled to the phone. Jong Kook was amused by Gary’s words. “Is he dating someone?” He was so ready to tease his dongsaeng after he ended his call.

“Gary yah, are you seeing someone?” Jong Kook asked with a smile. “Is that what you want to talk about?”

“It was Ji Hyo on the line. “ Gary replied.

“Oh…” Jong Kook’s smiled faded after hearing the name Ji Hyo. “Since when Gary were so close to Ji Hyo, is Mong Ji a nickname he gave Ji Hyo?” He wondered to himself.

“Hyung, forgive me for being so abrupt, but what happen to you and Ji Hyo?” Gary asked in a very serious tone.

“I…” Jong Kook had no words coming out for Gary’s question. His mind was once again in a state of confusion.

“She was crying last night. Ji Hyo was crying. She looked so upset.” Gary said before Jong Kook could answer anything. “Hyung, what did you do?”

“Is she feeling better Gary?” Jong Kook immediately asked with a concern tone. That instant, he felt so guilty he wanted to kill himself. He must had hurt Ji Hyo badly. That night after Ji Hyo left, he stayed outside of Ji Hyo’s apartment almost the whole night questioning himself. He knew Ji Hyo was upset, but he did not know what to do. It would be wrong to chase after her. They are just friends, she is not Seong Im, but why was he so confused of the feelings he had. He stayed outside of her apartment till the next day. When she saw her came out of her apartment, he wanted to call her. However, when he saw the zombie state she was in, he felt that maybe she did not want to see him. Instead of going after her and finding her at the café, he decided to leave her alone for the day.

“I hope so. She told me she was going to the café just now.” Gary replied him. “Hyung, it may sound harsh. But I hope you don’t hurt Ji Hyo. She is not Seong Im, you have to understand that. You can’t treat Ji Hyo like Seong Im and pretend everything is alright.”

“I know.” Jong Kook uttered. “I knew Seong Im is gone. I don’t know what I am doing Gary.” Jong Kook admitted. “When I see Ji Hyo, I was so confused. She is Song Ji Hyo, not Cheon Seong Im and I don’t see her as Cheon Seong Im. But I really want to care for her. It pains me to see her upset. I don’t know what I was thinking.” He continued. “She asked me, if my concern for her was coming for Seong Im that night…. And I could not reply her anything… Because I do not know the answer too.”

Gary finally understood why Ji Hyo was so upset last night. Somehow, he could understand how his hyung was feeling, but he was unable to defend for his hyung. Jong Kook had truly hurt Ji Hyo. He felt both of them had mutual feelings for each other. However, the feeling that Jong Kook had was a very complicated one. He knew deep down in Jong Kook’s heart, Seong Im was the one he loved. The loss of Seong Im totally killed his heart and the sudden appearance of Ji Hyo made his hyung’s feeling waiver. Gary knew Jong Kook failed to handle to situation well, but he asked himself, could he had done a better job himself? He knew the answer is no. The love Jong Kook had for Seong Im was too great and he was losing control. He could not get over Seong Im’s death even after a year and despite knowing Ji Hyo is another person, it was difficult to handle.

“Maybe you should talk to her at least.” Gary suggested. It may not be the best way, but he thought both of them should give each other a chance and talk it out. The situation was slightly unfair for Ji Hyo.

“I should, but I don’t know if she wants to see me now.” Jong Kook answered.

“But you should at least try. The least you should give her an explanation.” Gary explained.

“I will figure my way out.”

----------------

Ji Hyo was sitting at the corner of the café with her cup of Americano. After releasing some of her emotions last night, she felt that her heart was slightly relieved. She was embarrassed by the fact of crying in front of Gary but she could not felt more thankful for Gary to hear her and allowing her to cry out. “I should deliver some coffee to him.” She thought. 

She got up and went to the counter and prepared a few cups of coffee by herself for Gary and his staff. After packing all the coffee, she headed to Gary’s restaurant want to pass him those cups of coffee. When she arrived, she was greeted by one of Gary’s staff.

“Hi, how may I help you Song Ji Hyo-sii?”

“Is Gary Oppa around?” Ji Hyo asked.

“He told me he would be coming in later today…” The staff replied. “Oh, he is here.”

Ji Hyo turned around to see Gary walking into the restaurant with another man, someone she was not expected to see.

“Gary Oppa!” Ji Hyo said excitedly. “Jong Kook-sii.” Ji Hyo greeted him with a fading smile.

“Yah Mong Ji, what brought you here?” Gary asked with a big smile.

“I brought you some coffee, to thank you for last night….” Ji Hyo said while glancing at Jong Kook.

“Ahh.. There is no need to Ji Hyo yah, but still thanks for it.” Gary took the coffee from Ji Hyo and distributed it among his staff.

“Ermm… I should head back now.” Ji Hyo said while avoiding the gaze of Jong Kook. “See you around Gary Oppa.”

As Ji Hyo was about to leave the café, she heard a voice calling out for her. “Ji Hyo-sii, can I talk to you for a moment?”

“Okay.” Ji Hyo agreed hesitantly. Both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo took a longer path to Ji Hyo’s café as they slowly walked to the café.

“Ji Hyo-sii, I’m sorry.” Jong Kook started as they stopped at a corner near the cafe.

“What for Jong Kook-sii?” Ji Hyo asked.

“For that night, my words might had hurt you. So…”

“It was nothing Jong Kook-sii. Don’t take into your heart.” Ji Hyo interrupted. “I’m alright Jong Kook-sii. I have thought about it the whole night. I should be the one apologizing for the abrupt question.”

“Ji Hyo yah… I just want to explain…”

“There is nothing to explain Jong Kook-sii. We are just friends right. It was me who overreacted. I’m totally fine.” Ji Hyo gave a forced smile to Jong Kook.

Jong Kook got the hidden meaning from Ji Hyo. “Yes, we are friends.” Jong Kook returned the forced smile to Ji Hyo. “Could I still drop by your café?”

“Of course, I would not want to lose my customer. Plus it is an honor to serve a CEO.” Ji Hyo gave a fake smile. “If there is nothing else, I shall head in now.”

“Okay… See you around Ji Hyo-sii.”

Both of them went separate ways and Ji Hyo entered the café. Ji Hyo sat back at her spot calming herself down. She had handled the situation well. When she saw Jong Kook, she felt the heartache once again but resisted her tears. She thought she was prepared to see Jong Kook but turned out she was not ready at all. She was not sure of her feeling for him but yet she was hurt by his reaction that night. She did not give a chance for Jong Kook to explain as she did not want to hear what Jong Kook had to say. What if it was something she did not want to listen? Therefore, even Jong Kook could begin, she stopped him from speaking. She was glad that Jong Kook understood her hint and did not pursue further. But on the other hand, she hated the fact that Jong Kook understood her so well. It made her heart more confused than usual. “Do you like him?” She repeated the question that Gary asked her last night in her mind. “Do I really like Kim Jong Kook?” She asked herself. “We are just friends right? But why does his every action affect me so much? He made me happy and upset at the same time and it is driving me crazy.”

She spaced out with all the thoughts in her mind while staring at her cup of Americano. It was not until she heard her name being called multiple times then she realized Ji Min was in front of her. “Ji Hyo Unnie!”  

“Ah yes, Ji Min since when you are here?”

“For quite a while? You are really not called Mong Ji for nothing. I have been calling you for so many times.” Ji Min said.

“I was thinking of something.” Ji Hyo mentioned.

“Anything you want to talk about Unnie?” Ji Min questioned.

“What do you mean?”

“Yesterday when I saw how you and Gary-sii interacted, I thought you two might be an item or something. You two looked quite cute together.” Ji Min began. “But just now, I saw you talking to some muscular man outside the café. You looked so different. It seems that you are trying to hide something. However, the look that you gave him was very different. Although it seems sad, it was very intense. Unnie, is there something you want to talk about? Are you two together?”

“No…” Ji Hyo denied. “Me and Jong Kook-sii… We are just friends.”

“It seems that you are in love.” Ji Min said in a serious tone. “But it appears to be a very painful one.”

 “Ji Min yah...” Ji Hyo was amazed how observant her best friend was. They had been great friends for so long; it was very difficult for Ji Hyo to hide anything from her. Thus, Ji Hyo began pouring her heart out to Ji Min. She held back her tears while telling the story but could not conceal the sadness in her tone. “I really don’t know what I am thinking Ji Min. I’m not sure if I do like him, but he affects me greatly. This is so weird. We had not known each other for long, but this is the first time I felt this way to someone. I was so happy when he visited the café, I felt so touched when he appeared early in the morning to help me. However, when I could not get a reply for him, I felt so miserable.”

“Unnie… “Ji Min went up to Ji Hyo and gave her a warm hug. She patted on Ji Hyo’s back trying to comfort her. She knew her Unnie was very strong, unless there are major issue, she would not break down in front of anyone. The only time she ever saw her Ji Hyo cried was the passing of Ji Hyo’s parents. Other than that, Ji Hyo was a very strong woman. Sometimes she wished that Ji Hyo would not be so hard on herself. It would make her feel better if she cried her heart out instead of keeping everything inside.

“Let’s not talk about this anymore Ji Min yah.” Ji Hyo pleaded.

“Okay Unnie, if you wish. Let’s do something that we always do in the past.” Ji Min gave her a mischievous smile. “Let’s hit the club tonight.”

___________________________________

Free free to leave me any comments so to let me know my story in another person point of view. xoxo. :) Thank you for reading!