Moved

Substitute Love

Tossed and turned, Jong Kook barely rested when he had finally gotten home. His body was worned out but almost every twenty minutes he was awoken thinking of Ji Hyo. He wondered if she had rested enough at home, had she finished the food she bought. When he reached home earlier, he had called Kwang Soo to inform him that Ji Hyo had made her way home and urged him to advice her to stay at home if she ever pop by the café. By night, he gave up having a proper rest and called JI Hyo. Her phone was ringing but no one answered. He called multiple times to no avail and worries crept up his mind. He drove up to her house wishing that she had not collapsed again.

In the midst of driving, Ji Hyo had finally called him back so he stopped his car on the side. Before he could answer, the line got cut off. His mind could only imagine how she had fainted and started driving in maximum speed to her house. “Ji Hyo yah!” He continuously shouted as he rapidly knocked on the door. Getting no response, he punched in her house password and barged in. As he searched her house and looked into all the rooms, he was surprised that there was no sign of Ji Hyo in the house. He called her phone again but there was no ringing sound coming from any direction. “Where did she go now?” He could only anxiously wonder.

He repeatedly dialled her number and numerous times later, the line managed to get through. “Ji Hyo yah, where are you? Why didn’t you picked up?” Jong Kook questioned.

 “Yobuseyo.” A unfamiliar man answered. “This is Kim Jong Kook-sii right?”

“Who are you?” Jong Kook was surprised and puzzled by the voice coming from her phone.

“I’m the bartender from xxx bar. The lady left her phone on the counter.”

“Keep in the phone and her in the bar for me, I will be right down.” Jong Kook quickly hunged up before the man could answer and rushed over. Thinking about Ji Hyo being in the bar maddened him. She was still feeling weak in the earlier part of the day and right now she decided to ruin her health by drinking. He got frustrated by thinking of the fact that she could be drunk at the bar.

Arriving at the bar, he saw no sight of Ji Hyo and went straight up to the bartender. “I’m Kim Jong Kook. Are you the guy who answered the phone just now?” The bartender nodded. “Where is she?”

“She left before you even called.” The bartender answered him. “I wanted to tell you but you hunged up.” He handed the phone to Jong Kook.

“Why is her phone with you? Did she come alone? Where did she go?” Jong Kook questioned.

“She came and started drinking a lot by the bar counter alone.” The bartender answered. “She was pretty drunk and almost caused a barfight. The last thing I remembered she left with a guy. They left in such a haste that she had forgotten the phone.”

“GUY?!” Jong Kook was agitated. “What guy?!”

“I don’t know.” Jong Kook could not control his anger after hearing what the bartender said and banged on the bar counter. Realizing Ji Hyo disappeared got him worried, knowing that Ji Hyo went to made him frustrated, finding out that Ji Hyo drank a lot made him angry. The worst news he had gotten was Ji Hyo disappearing with a guy when she was drunk. He ruffled his hair in frustration and left the bar with irritation. He wanted to rush somewhere to find Ji Hyo but he had no clue where he could start. He had no idea who Ji Hyo left with and he could hope that Ji Hyo is safe. There was only one thing he could do right now which was the same thing he did as last night. He banged on his car’s dashboard only to berate himself on how useless he was. 

When he arrived below her apartment, he saw a familiar car and two familiar shadows. Anger rushed into his mind when he saw Gary hugging the woman he had been looking for. “Kang Gary…” He was infuriated. He walked towards him as he was placing her in the car. In rage, he grabbed Gary by the collar and shouted. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH HER?! Trying to take advantage of her?”

Gary’s eyes showed no sign of remorse but only anger. “Doing the thing that you are supposed to do.” His tone sounded sarcastic as he pushed him away.

Jong Kook got more agitated and punched him. “I knew you had like Ji Hyo, but I had never expected you two would got something behind my  back. Left the bar together when she was drunk?” Jong Kook angrily jumped into conclusion. “What else are you going to do if I’m not around?” He yelled.

Gary wiped off the blood on the corner of the mouth and scoffed. “The only thing you can do is to punch and accuse me. What else you could do?”

“What?” Jong Kook was enraged even though he knew Gary was trying to agitate him. He almost gave Gary another punch only to be blocked and ree punch by the latter. The two men stared at each other for a moment only to cool down after they backed away from each other. Both of them back faced each other while trying to cool down. They did not mean to fight, since they were friends for a long time. The last thing they wished for was to be fighting over a woman.

They stayed in the same position and said nothing. Jong kook reflected on his rash behaviour and apologized. “I’m sorry Gary, for punching you.” Jong Kook spoke. Gary was one of his best friends, he never wanted to beat him in the first place. He was just clouded by anger and Gary’s words did not make things better.He was in the wrong and for making the first move without hearing him out. The bartender said Ji Hyo drank alone and not with anyone else. There must be a reason that Gary ended up with her.

 “The only one you need to apologize is Ji Hyo.” Gary cooled down. “Ji Hyo was hurt. She was drunk and got harassed by another guy.” Jong Kook’s eyes widen hearing what Gary said. “Nothing happened. I got her out of it and here we are.” Jong Kook exhaled in relief.

“She was crying, when she was slightly awake just now.” Gary told him. “She said she was lonely, and how much she hated you. She said you were not with her when she needed you. She saw you at Seong Im’s grave. Why now? After you avoided it for so long?”

Jong Kook froze at his words. “It’s not like this…”

“It was like that to Ji Hyo.” Gary cut his words. “She said you don’t love her.”

Jong Kook could not retalitate but stood like a statue remembering the morning that Ji Hyo demanded the three words from him.

“Do you?” Gary prompted.

“You asking me if I love her?” Jong Kook snickered. “You feel the otherwise too? No wonder Ji Hyo felt the same way.”

Before Gary could say anything, Jong Kook started. “I love her. I love her so much and it was scaring me. I am in love with her so much that is driving me crazy.” Jong Kook revealed. “The whole time when I was in New York, I could only think of Ji Hyo. It made me realized that I seemly had forgotten Seong Im. I came back early because there was something I wanted to do. And before that, I need to visit Seong Im first. I stood in front of Seong Im’s grave for the longest time, felt like I had betrayed her. Even though she was the one who left first… I still feel…”

“Feeling sorry for Seong Im?”

“Without me knowing, Ji Hyo had just erased Seong Im out of my heart, she filled up the emptiness Seong Im left for me. Those promises, memories I had were filled with Ji Hyo’s image. I could only apologize and told her my thoughts before finding Ji Hyo. I have the face my guilt then move on to find Ji Hyo. I don’t want to lose Ji Hyo… No, I cannot lose her, not after I had lost one after letting her go…”

“You two should just express your feelings to each other instead of me.” Gary commented.

“Gary ah… I…”

“Hyung, I know what you want to say.” Gary interrupted. “Yes, I like Ji Hyo, but I would never and would not be able to interfere the feelings you both had for each other. I admit, just now when Ji Hyo was crying about you, for a moment I really want to replace you in her heart. But truth is, I just want to be the one on the sideline. That is enough. I wouldn’t want to do anything except seeing her being happy. You are my hyung and I know you can keep her happy, despite what happened today.”

“Gary…”

“Do I sound too unrealistic? Please tell me I sound like a real gentleman.”

The both men laughed. “This is so you Gary. If you were not this way, you might have settled down a long time ago.”

“But I don’t regret that. Eventually I know there will be someone for me.”

“I’m sure there will be.”

“But right now, before you think for me, you need to explain everything to her.”  Gary referred to the unconscious woman. "And also tell her to stop her silly actions." He joked.

“I will.”

------------------

Surrounding was white and she saw the two people she was hoping to see the most. They came... Yet they were not smiling to see her. They turned their back on her, bringing along another person to leave together. A familiar back view, a strong build that she recognized. She wanted to run along with them, but her feet were not responding. She wanted to scream, but no voice was coming out. Three of them were slowly walking away from her and the surrounding became black. She was left alone, with no one but total darkness. “Oppa, don’t leave… Don’t leave!” She shouted.

Her eyes opened wide in shock. Her body was perspiring and she barely caught her breath. That strong build she saw leaving was standing in front of her. “Oppa!” She stood up and grabbed the person tightly.

“I’m here Ji Hyo. I won’t leave.” He her head gently and comforted her. “You are having a bad dream.”

A bad dream, she realized.  She looked around to found out she was back on her bed again. This time, it was accompanied by an extreme pounding headache that hit her hard after she calmed down. The consequences of binge drinking last night were starting to appear. She slowly let go of her grip and focused on her pounding head.

 “Wash up and eat something?” Jong Kook suggested. “You will feel better.”

Ji Hyo nodded and went to shower. Her mind was still thinking about the dream she had. She had not had a dream for long and it felt like it was a sign. Her instinct was afraid that something might happen as this was the first time she dreamt about her parents. Moreover, Jong Kook was in the dream. “I’m thinking too much.” She was trying to convince herself.

She sat down at her dining table with Jong Kook beside her. As she was eating, a question came to her mind. “Why is Jong Kook here?” She remembered going to the bar last night and drank a lot. The last piece of memory she had was seeing Gary saving her from some random guy and nothing else. There was some vague memories of her crying, but she could not remembered what exactly happened.  “Why are you here Oppa?” She asked.

“To take care of you.” Jong Kook replied. “You drank too much last night. Why don’t you take care of yourselves? You were still feeling weak in the morning, you should not had drank liquor, and you drank so much. Have you thought of the consequences? Have you thought that I was so angry to hear that you went to the bar alone and became drunk?” Jong Kook reprimanded her when he was reminded of the worries he had.

Ji Hyo looked down and kept quiet. Jong Kook was right, she was ruining her health and not thinking of what could happen yesterday. Yet, she remembered the reason she drank. She was upset, because of him. She was confused by all his action. She was upset at him.

“Ji Hyo yah.” Jong Kook slowly pulled her into his embrace and she found comfort within his arms. “I'm sorry for scolding you now. But, I was upset that you did not take care of yourselves. If Gary had not saved you last night, you would have gotten into more trouble. I was so worried for you, that’s why I was harsh.”

“Sorry…” Ji Hyo said softly.

“Could you tell me why?” Jong Kook asked.

“Because I don’t know if…”

“I do. But you said and asked out of spite didn’t you?” Jong Kook questioned.

“That day, I was feeling emotional…” She told him about how she had decided to spoil her friendship with Gary, the loss of her parents and how she needed someone by her side. “I was upset, I called you but your phone was off. I thought you were in New York. I felt so lost, lonely and alone when the feeling of losing my parents returned. I needed you, I needed you by my side, hoping that you could console me. When I was feeling down, it was the worst feeling to see you there, seeing someone I know you loved and had told me you loved. I was shocked and surprised that you came back without telling me. Then I saw you at her grave when I was the most lonely, emotional and lost. It made me feel that… I’m going to lose you too.”

“Ji Hyo…”

“And then that happened….” Ji Hyo paused. “Maybe you are right, I said that just because of the wrong reasons… But, I meant it and I wanted to know that if you could say that too... And you broke my heart when you hesitated…. I was hurt. I felt that I had lost you. Lost you to her…”

“I'm so sorry I was not there for you. If I knew, I would have rushed to your side and protect you. I will never want to hurt you or let you feel lonely or lost.” Jong Kook tightened his grip. “Also, you didn't and you won't lose me to anyone Ji Hyo yah. As long as you don’t ask me to leave you like you did, or even if you did, I’m always here for you.”

 “Why Oppa?”

“Yes Ji Hyo?”

“The past two days, the only thing I did was to push you away, but you are still here.”

“Because I really care for you.”

“That’s all?”

“Ji Hyo. Look at me.” Jong Kook loosened his grip and held her hands. He looked deep into her eyes while she looked back with curiosity. “I love you.”

Her eyes widen by his sudden confession, the three words she was waiting for.

“Because I love you, I want to fight for you. No matter how much you are going to push me away, I will still be here fighting for you. I don’t want to lose you.” Jong Kook told her.

Ji Hyo was too surprised by Jong Kook’s words and could not respond.

“I came back early without telling you, because I had something in mind. Seong Im is someone I once loved. She left me then and I was devastated. However, without her existence, we may have not met. We would have crossed path but never to realize that we could fall in love with each other. Before she died, she ever asked me something which I yet to give her an answer.

Going to New York only made me realize my feelings for you. The one I missed in New York is you. I felt guilty when I was there because I was always thinking of you and I came back with that guilt hitting me. That day, before I could do the ‘something’ I had in mind, before I could see you, I need to apologize and return her the answer. I felt so apologetic towards her when I saw her grave. I stood there for so long, trying to think of what to say and how to say. When I did, I felt that I finally let her go. And by letting her go, it makes me more determined that I don’t want to lose another person I love. I love you so much Song Ji Hyo. You filled up the emptiness and emotions that I thought I had lost. You complete me, you made me happy and you overwhelmed me.”

Tears streamed down as Ji Hyo was moved by Jong Kook’s confession. She had never had anyone telling her something so touching, so passionate. The one she love so much was feeling the same way she does. “I love you too Oppa. So much. You always make me the happiest. I'm sorry for acting the way I did yesterday. I love you so much and I can never let you go.” Ji Hyo responded with a sobbing voice. Her man’s confession was so heartwarming that happiness was an understatement. She was so touched that only tears of joys expressed her emotions.

Jong Kook used his thumbs and wiped off her tears. “This is not what I had planned in mind. But...” Jong Kook pulled away the chair that he was sitting on and kneeled on one knee. He took out a box that was kept in his side pocket and opened it. “Song Ji Hyo, the one who completes me, the one who I love, the one who I could never lose, the one I want to be with. Will you marry me?” The box contained a Solitaire Heart shaped diamond ring.

Ji Hyo covered her agaped mouth with both hands. Tears flowed even faster from the sudden proposal. She was too happy, too surprised. It took her a moment from her happiness to realize that she had not say anything. “Yes…” She circled her arms around his neck and answered.

-------

Do you know someone who is similar to 'Gary' too? Forgive me on this chapter as there were too many conversations. Hope it was up to your expectations!