Confused

Substitute Love

“Ji Hyo-sii, is that all? I could help you clean the tables too.” Jong Kook offered.

“It’s alright, you had helped enough, Thanks Jong Kook-sii.” Ji Hyo rejected. “Just make yourselves comfortable, I will clear up the rest.”

Jong Kook rested at the usual corner of the café feeling slightly worn out. He had not frequent the gym since he came back to Seoul. Having to work at the desk for so long, he had never expected managing a café for one day required so much energy. He began to respect the stamina Ji Hyo and Lizzy had for being the only two girls to work the whole day. “Can’t believe I’m feeling so exhausted.” He casually commented.

 “Well, I guess you just have to get used to it. I thought you might have more stamina since I believe you constantly visit the gym.” Ji Hyo joked. “Here is your reward for the day.” She placed a cup of tea on the table.

“Only tea? I expected at least a meal or something.” Jong Kook joked.

“Then let me buy you a meal after I’m done.” Ji Hyo smiled. “Give me 10 minutes.”

When Ji Hyo arrived at the café in the morning, she was surprised to see Jong Kook waiting at the door of the café. When questioned, Jong Kook mentioned he would like to help her out for the day in replace of Lizzy as a way to repay her for his behavior when they first met. Initially, Ji Hyo rejected profusely, saying that there was not a need to do so at all. However, she just can’t seems to win any argument against Jong Kook, she was so convinced by Jong Kook’s proposal she had no way of rejecting. “This man has a way of convincing people. I wonder what he does.” Ji Hyo thought at that moment. 

Jong Kook seemed to have a gift of learning things fast. In less than half a day, he managed to understand how Ji Hyo managed her café and worked with her without any hindrance. Ji Hyo was glad that she had Jong Kook’s help for the day. Part of the reason was due to the additional help she had, another reason was because she was able to see Jong Kook. As much as she did not want to admit, she truly enjoyed Jong Kook’s company for the day. Jong Kook had been nothing but be so caring and helpful to her and she was truly grateful about it.

 While waiting for Ji Hyo, Jong Kook was rested his head on the back of the sofa. Even though it was tiring, he felt as fulfilling as doing a day of workout. His body was slightly fatigued while his mind was drained out. As he let his mind drift away while succumbing to fatigue, he dozed off.

By the time Ji Hyo was done, she saw Jong Kook had fallen asleep. She was hesitating if she should wake him up but decided to let him rest a while since he looked so worn out. She sat beside Jong Kook and started to observe his face. Her eyes slowly moved from looking at his closing eyes, to his nose and his lips. Her heart skipped a beat as she wondered how it would feel if their lips touched. “Yah Song Ji Hyo! What is your mind thinking?! Don’t think of stupid stuffs!” Ji Hyo felt her cheeks getting hotter as she knocked the back of her head on the sofa. In the midst of calming herself down, she closed her eyes and relaxed. Unknowingly, she drifted off unconsciously.

------------

Some time passed and Jong Kook slowly opened his eyes, he realized he had dozed off in the café. His head was tilted and resting on someone else’s head.  When he turned to look at who was it, he realized that Ji Hyo was sleeping with her head on his shoulder too. Jong Kook’s heart was thumping fast. He had no idea how long they had been lying on each other. He moved his head away with minimal movement as he could not bear to wake her up. He continued to stay in the same position wondering what he should do next. 

Jong Kook reflected what he was doing the whole day. “Kim Jong Kook, what are you doing? Are you sure you are doing the right thing?” He thought to himself. In his mind, he felt so confused. He cared for the woman beside him. However, he was not sure his action was right. Is he treating her like Seong Im? Was all his care and concern for Seong Im or for Ji Hyo herself?  “Seong im ah, what is going on? What is happening to me?”

In a short moment, he felt some movement on his left shoulder. Ji Hyo slowly opened her eyes and realized she was sleeping on Jong Kook’s shoulder. She jolted up, feeling embarrassed. “Sorry…”

“It’s okay.” Jong Kook looked at his watch to check the timing. To their surprise, it was already half past 3am in the morning and both of them had slept for a few hours. Both of them turn quiet; wondering how long had they been staying together in that position. In the midst of the silence, a growling sound coming from the stomach was heard. “Aish, Song Ji Hyo, why can’t you control your own stomach?!” She spoke in her mind as her cheek flushed.

Jong Kook giggled knowing the fact that the woman was hungry. “Shall we find something to eat?” He asked. “But it seems that everywhere around this area is closed at this timing.”

“I know of a place.” She answered. “And they served pretty decent food at this timing.”

“Then shall we go?”

Ji Hyo left her car in the mall and Jong Kook drove to the location where Ji Hyo suggested. They arrived at a mini shop near a club. Jong Kook was amazed by the amount of people hanging around the area. They sat down after ordering the food. Jong Kook looked around the surrounding to find quite a number of slightly drunk people.

“I’m surprised there is a place like this.”

Ji Hyo chuckled. “I came here for supper sometimes after drinking.”

“After going to a club?” Jong Kook asked. “You really do love partying, don’t you?”

The food arrived and they made small talks while eating. They laughed and started to know each other better. They seemly had forgotten the awkward moment they had previously.

“I had not asked you this Jong Kook-sii, but what did you do for a living?” Ji Hyo asked. “I’m curious. You seem to have so much free time to be able to help me.”

“I worked for JK Group.”

“The company that owns the mall?” Ji Hyo questioned. “What do you work as?”

“Erm….” Jong Kook hesitated before answering, but he sees no reason to hide the fact. “Actually….  I’m the successor of the Group.”

When Ji Hyo heard what Jong Kook said, she choked on her food and began coughing rapidly. Jong Kook pulled himself closer to her and patted her on her back while she reached out to drink the water on the table. “Are you joking?” Ji Hyo asked but got her answer from Jong Kook’s serious face. “Did I just make the owner of the mall work for me?!” Ji Hyo said in shocking yet apologetic tone.

“It’s nothing Ji Hyo-sii. Please don’t mind that fact.” Jong Kook said. “I volunteered remember? Don’t get too apologetic.”

“I’m more surprised by the fact. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You didn’t ask… So….”

“Now I don’t feel so guilty anymore. I feel that you deserved it.” Ji Hyo smirked.

“What?!” Jong Kook asked and both of them laughed. “But as a boss, I have to learn from you Ji Hyo –sii. It’s rare to see an owner doing almost everything by herself.”

“I definitely have to put in more effort especially for the starting few months in a new area. I have to adapt to the crowd that was quite different was the previous location I’m in.” Ji Hyo mentioned. “This café is my brother and my baby.”

“Where is your brother? Is he not helping you?”

“He is serving mandatory military service now. It’s just busier these days. When my help and brother is back, I will be doing much lesser work. I might even stay at home and sleep the whole day.”

Jong Kook laughed at Ji Hyo’s comment. “It’s funny how she was saying how she like partying, then being all serious about the café and the next thing she was talking about sleeping.” Jong Kook thought. “She is really interestingly unpredictable.”

“What about you Jong Kook-sii?” Ji Hyo asked. “What is your story?”

“What story?”

“Why were you drunk on the day I met you?”

Jong Kook turned quiet. He was not expecting Ji Hyo asking this question. He wanted to talk to Ji Hyo about it on that day when he waited for her. However, he had forgotten about it since then, and was not sure if he should say it now. He felt that it would be totally different feeling to explain to Ji Hyo now; especially he was being confused right now.

“If you don’t want to say, is okay. I was just being curious.” Ji Hyo mentioned.

“Not about that… Let me send you home first. It’s getting late. You still have to work tomorrow.” Jong Kook said.

Both of them got onto to Jong Kook’s car and Jong Kook drove Ji Hyo’s home. “Seong Im…” Jong Kook began after a moment of silence in the car. “She was my fiancée. A year ago, we were supposed to get married. However, she passed away. That day when we first met, it was exactly a year after she died.” Jong Kook turned quiet as remembering the fact about Seong Im was unpleasant. However, it was easy to control his feeling right now as he channelled his concentration on the road.

“I’m sorry… I reminded you of something bad.” Ji Hyo felt sorry of reminding Jong Kook’s past. Initially, she thought Seong Im was probably a girl that broke up with him. However, she never expected it was something worse than that.

“It’s okay. I wanted to talk to you about that on that day when I waited for you the first time. I thought I need to explain my inappropriate behavior. Plus you and her… You two… “

“We looked alike?” Ji Hyo interrupted.

“Err.. Yes… That’s why that day…. I thought I saw her again…” Jong Kook hesitantly said.

“I see…” Ji Hyo guessed it as much since the day when Gary called her by that name too. Somehow, Ji Hyo felt slightly uncomfortable hearing that words from Jong Kook. She was not able to understand where is that feeling coming from. “Do you still love her?” She asked, not understanding the rational of her asking that question.

“Yes…” Jong Kook answered.

“Do I remind you of her?”

“Sometimes…”

“Did your concern for me come out from the love for her?”

Jong Kook was not able to answer the question. He was too surprised by this unexpected question and truthfully, he was not able to get an answer immediately. He was not able to say no but somehow to him that concern was not coming from Seong Im either. He was unable to explain his feelings right now. “I…”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to answer that. That question was out of the blue. ” Ji Hyo interrupted.

Just at that time, they arrived at Ji Hyo’s apartment. Ji Hyo hastily thanked and said good bye to Jong Kook and rushed up to her apartment before Jong Kook could say anything. She felt her heartbeat beating fast from running up to her apartment so she tried to pour some water to calm herself down. As she was drinking the water, a teardrop fell from her left eye unknowingly.

“Why do I feel a slight heartache when he was not able to answer me just now…”