Realized

Substitute Love

Ji Hyo stared at the soju that Kwang Soo had delivered to her earlier. “Noona, one bottle and that’s it.” He told her. She smiled at Kwang Soo’s silly and thoughtful action. He knew her too well. Rather than Ji Hyo going to a pub a drink, which might resulted in inevitable consequences, he had decided to bring the soju up personally.

Originally, she had the urge to drink. However, after looking at that bottle of soju, she decided to put it away and walked towards her balcony. “I should not drink… The last time I drank, it was the day before Jong Kook had met with that fateful accident…” She thought bitterly. She remembered Jong Kook had always taken care of her whenever she had a hangover, including the day tragedy struck. He was so caring, comforting her and all. “I miss you Oppa. I wish I have the courage to see you.” She thought to herself, sighing as she gazed at the sky.

Looking at the scenery, her mind drifted off to the first time Jong Kook had taken care of her. Without Jong Kook, she might have fainted in the café without anyone knowing. She still remembered branding Jong Kook as the ‘overly concerned stranger’, finding his action a little extreme for someone she had a little bad impression on the very first time she met him.

A sudden realization hit her, the scene at the hospital, it was similar to the very first time she met Jong Kook. The first time she saw Jong Kook, he was drunk and knocked onto her. He grabbed her and hugged her tightly, assuming she was Seong Im. At that time, she tried to push him away but failed. Her heart softened when she heard him whispering Seong Im’s name into her ear, asking her not to leave him. That same thing happened in the hospital; Jong Kook had once again called out Seong Im’s name after he asked her not to leave.

“And the reason I started knowing Jong Kook, was because of her. Because I looked too similar to her.” She muttered. Even during the course of their relationship, they had mentioned about her, and even argued about it. The biggest misunderstanding that happened between them was also due to her. Jong Kook was standing in front of her grave while she was feeling helpless. Ji Hyo knew, she may be the sensitive one at that point of time, but it was too much of a coincidence. Why was it on the day that she had to visit the grave, Jong Kook visited the grave too? She wondered.

When Jong Kook had proposed to her, she had stayed at his house and spent most of their time together. She thought nothing would come between them anymore, at least not Seong Im. Yet, this accident had proved otherwise.

“Without her, we would have cross path without knowing we could fall in love with each other.” The words that Jong Kook said during his proposal popped into her mind. He was right, the start of everything was her. Song Ji Hyo came into Kim Jong Kook’s life because of her, everything was her.

“I think I got it now.” She uttered to herself.

------------------

Ji Hyo sat at the usual corner of the café, sipping her favourite coffee and stared at the view outside. “It’s been a while since I sat at this spot, letting my mind wander endlessly.” She thought to herself. She recalled the last time when she sat here peacefully, was probably those days before Jong Kook met his accident, and her thoughts at that time were probably wondering how Jong Kook and she would spend their future together. “Do you think that future is possible right now? If only…”

Her thoughts were disrupted when Gary stepped into the café. She greeted him and went automatically went to the counter and brewed Gary’s cup of coffee. Gary observed her and felt relieved that she looked better. Although she was not her cheerful self, she was not looking all forlorn and depressed either. After she was done, they sat down opposite each other, sipping coffee together.

“It’s been a while since you had brewed coffee personally for me.” Gary commented. “It’s still the best coffee I ever had.”

Ji Hyo let out a tiny smile hearing his words. “I’m glad you like it Gary Oppa.” She said and looked down, smile faded slowly. “But, this might be the last time I can do this for you.”

“What do you mean Mong Ji?” Surprised by her words, he asked anxiously. “Is this the reason you wanted to talk?”

Ji Hyo then looked up and smiled weakly at him. “How is he?” She asked instead of answering his question, her tone filled with concern.

“Getting better.” He answered. “He did ask about you at times, but we told him to concentrate on resting.” Gary paused, wondering what she was thinking under her blank expression. “He is asking about you, not the one you are thinking of.”

“It’s alright Gary Oppa. I guess it doesn’t matter who is the person anymore.” Ji Hyo said flatly and Gary shot her a suspicious look, doubting what she had told him. “I had done some thinking the past few days by myself. And I think I have figured it out.”

“Gary Oppa, you are the first friend I had here, and because of that I think I should tell you this personally.” She hesitated and thought of the easiest way to put across her words. “I’m leaving.”

“What?!” Gary was stunned by her revelation. “What do you mean you are leaving?!”

“I’m leaving Seoul, for good.” She answered.

“Why? Because of what Jong Kook had called out Seong Im's name?”

She shook her head. “Jong Kook Oppa calling out Seong Im’s name, was just a confirmation. There were actually many things we did not realize during our relationship.” She told him and he got confused.

“I don’t understand.”

“Do you ever wonder why Jong Kook had remembered her but forgotten about me? Have you wondered why Jong Kook only had memories of the time right before she passed away?” She asked him. “Many might say it could be a coincidence, but there were too many coincidence happening. And I believe all these happened for a reason.”

“I still don’t understand Ji Hyo yah.”

“Which is worse? Not remembering someone? Or remembering someone as another person?” She paused and took a deep breath, gathering courage for her next sentence. “With Jong Kook only remembering me as Seong Im, along with all other things that happened, it only means one thing. I’m her substitute in Jong Kook’s life.”

“What are you thinking Mong Ji?!” Gary asked agitatedly. “I know you are upset. But, this not the way to think…”

Interrupting Gary, Ji Hyo asked. “Gary Oppa, do you remember the first time you saw me?” Gary nodded. “You called me Seong Im too.”

“The reason was….” Gary hesitated continuing his sentence. The first time when he met her, he was surprised and for a split second, he did have thoughts that she was her. However, telling her would not help the situation, it will further cements her thoughts. He tried to formulate a reason, a convincing one. But before he could even say anything, Ji Hyo had interrupted him.

“Maybe you are right. This is not the way to think of the whole incident.” Ji Hyo said after hearing no response from Gary. “But, this is how the incident had panned out. I know I could have think it positively, perhaps think that he would eventually recover his memories.  But what if he doesn’t? Do I continue to avoid him? Convince him that I’m not her? Or worse, pretend to be her?” Ji Hyo asked.

“I’m not her Gary Oppa. I can’t do it. Even if I try to convince him now, how much of the truth will he be able to accept. Even if he acknowledged her passing away and the whole story of how we knew each other, the way he treat me, it will be affected by her. It will not be the pure confusion he had initially when he met. He will not be able to differentiate who he actually loved right now. He will never be the Kim Jong Kook that only has Song Ji Hyo in his heart.” She stopped before getting more agitated.

“Given Jong Kook’s character, he would have accepted the responsibility and taken care of me, without caring the truth. But I can’t go through everything thinking that he might be treating me as a substitute.” Her voice quietened, seemingly upset by her last sentence. Calming herself down, she continued. “That’s why, for both of us, it’s best I leave.”

“That doesn’t mean you have to leave Seoul.” Gary told her. “You could still stay at Seoul. Even if you want to avoid Jong Kook, you don’t have to leave.”

“I didn’t leave just to avoid him.” She told him firmly. “I want to start afresh, maybe somewhere else. Seoul holds too many memories for Jong Kook Oppa and me. If I had stayed here, nothing will change.I can't stay here. Not this moment at least.”

Gary sighed. “There is nothing I can say that will change your mind right?” Ji Hyo shook her head lightly. “When are you leaving?”

“The day after tomorrow.” She informed him. It was the same day that Jong Kook would be getting discharged. “Can you promise me something? Take care of him. Don’t burden him with thoughts that would do nothing but harm. I trust that you understood my intention.” Gary agreed to her request and she smiled. “Thank you.”

-------------------

Ji Hyo packed up all her remaining belongings that were left at Jong Kook’s house. She carefully left it near the door and started wandering around. Like the first time she visited his house, she observed the interior, taking one last look at all of it. This would be the last time she will be staying in this house, this house that she once thought would be her future.

“If only things didn’t end up like this Jong Kook Oppa.” She uttered. “If only we could meet without complications, everything might be different.” She sat down at the couch. From her side pocket, she reached for an envelope that was addressed to Jong Kook. Opening up she read the content.

To Jong Kook,

By the time you read this letter, you would have discharged from the hospital. I sincerely hoped you had fully recovered from your injuries. Sorry for running away from the ward and never visiting you again. Believe me, I wanted to. I just did not have the courage to do so.

I know on the day that you have woken up, I promise you that I wouldn’t leave. And I know I had broken our promise. Given a choice, I wished that things did not turn out this way. I wished that we could have remained as we were. Perhaps, at this moment, we will be cuddling on the couch, watching some random drama that was playing on the tv. Perhaps, we will be walking down the street together hand in hand, admiring the scenery around us. Or perhaps, we would be walking down the aisle at this very moment, exchanging our vows and then left for our honeymoon. Yet reality had shown us that this isn’t possible. So, I had made my decision to leave.

Maybe it was fate that wanted us to meet, and then continue what she could not have done with you on her behalf. However, I couldn’t do it. I don’t want to do it. And I have chosen not to do it. The only thing I could do, was to say I’m sorry. And I truly am.

Forgive me Jong Kook Oppa, forgive me for not telling you this personally before I left. Forgive me for making this selfish decision by myself without saying anything. But, I’m leaving Seoul. And without any special reason, i might not return to this place again.

Thanks for all the memories, it was the best time of my life. Even though you may not know who I am, always remember, someone around in this world, there is something who will always love you.  

With Love,

Song Ji Hyo

‘Song Ji Hyo’. She looked at the name she signed off with and snorted. She questioned herself. What was her purpose of leaving a letter with a name that he forgot? Hoping that he would find out the person who left this letter? Leaving the letter at his house only defeats the purpose of her quietly leaving.

Yesterday, when she was done packing at her house, she sat at the table and started penning out words she wanted to tell him. At that moment, she thought it would be best that she had left him the letter, letting him know that she was apologetic. However, clearly that was not the real reason she had written all these. Just somewhere in her heart, she wished that she could leave some trace of herself behind, waiting for him to find out who she was.

She left the letter on the table and stood up wanting to leave. She walked towards the door then turned to catch one last glimpse of the house. Her gaze turned to the letter she left. No, she should not torture Jong Kook and deceive herself. If Jong Kook would remember and wants to find her, he would know where to go even without her saying anything. Instantly, she took back the letter and tore it off.

-------------------------

“Noona, what if everyone specifically requested the coffee you brewed?” Kwang Soo asked Ji Hyo. The Noona and Dongsaeng had settled at some cafeteria in the airport after settling all the check in procedure. 

 “The coffee you brew is as good as mine, Kwang Soo. You don’t need find another lame excuse to convince me.” Ji Hyo chuckled. “I know I can trust you with the café.”

Kwang Soo smiled sadly at her. “I know nothing you do will change your mind. But you could have stayed another month or two, at least till Joong Ki discharged, he is coming back soon.”

“I know you can handle the café Kwang Soo. I had informed Joong Ki of my decision. He understood and I know so do you. You had once told me that I could leave the café under your care for a few months if I ever left for honeymoon….”  She paused. “Even though that was not where I’m going right now, it should not change anything. “

 ‘I know Noona…. It’s just I’m going to miss you….” He admitted quietly.

“Yah Lee Kwang Soo. You can always call me. We could always chat over the phone. Or maybe when Joong Ki returned, you could take a day off or two and visit me.” Ji Hyo comforted him with a hug. “I think it’s about time. I should go now.”

Kwang Soo had carried her handcarry and walked her towards the gate. Carefully placed her bag on the floor, the two embraced each other and said their goodbye. Ji Hyo picked up her handcarry then turned to the crowd behind her. She surveyed the crowd, as though she was searching for someone. “What are you thinking Ji Hyo…” She thought to herself.

“Song Ji Hyo!” She heard her name as she was about to leave. Turning back, she saw the person that was running towards her. A slight disappointment prickled her heart. But she still smiled as it was someone she definitely wanted to meet before she left. “I hope I’m not too late.”

“I was just about to go in.”Ji Hyo told Gary. “I thought you would not have come.”

“I got caught in traffic.” Gary smiled at her. “You said I’m the first person that you know in Seoul, its only appropriate that I be the last too.” She chuckled at his words. “Plus, this is the last time I will be seeing you. Dong Hoon said he was sorry that he was unable to come. He wanted me to tell you to take care, and he will miss bickering with you. And I will miss you too Mong Ji…”

Ji Hyo smiled sadly. Gary and Dong Hoon were two friends that she was grateful to know during her stay in Seoul. “I will miss you too Gary Oppa. Dong Hoon Oppa too.” She said. “And him….” She thought silently.

“Any chance that I could grab your passport and prevent you from leaving right now?” Gary joked, trying to liven up her mood a little and it worked. Ji Hyo giggled and playfully slammed him on the back. “But, you are not leaving with Ace Café?” He asked with curiosity.

Ji Hyo’s gaze focus on the ground for a short moment, hinting a slight regret within herself. “When I first moved to Seoul, I brought the café along and found it to be a better fit here. The crowd, the atmosphere, everything was fitted here. It’s a pity I won’t be taking so much care from the shop itself. But my brother, he can handle it. That café is our baby, we agreed on that location together. Ace Café… belongs to Seoul. Just a pity I don’t…” She quieten down slightly.

“But maybe, if my brother is making a mess in our cafe, i might just return to takeover everything again.” She kidded , changing the solemn mood that she was feeling.

“When you decide to step foot in Seoul again, please contact me.” Gary told her. “No matter how busy I am, I will drop everything and meet you.”

“I will.” Ji Hyo smiled and they embraced each other. “Thank you for taking care of me this whole time.” She told him. “And thank you for not asking where am I going…” She thanked him in her mind. “Promise me you will help me take care of him.”

“Definitely.”

Bidding farewell to the two man, she went into the boarding area. The entire time, she didn’t turn back. She willed herself not to. “No regrets Song Ji Hyo.” She told herself. Holding her tears back, she quickened her pace and boarded the plane. Sitting at her designated seat, she gently caressed the necklace that was hanging around her neck. She sighed then took the necklace off. She gently placed it back into the box and kept it inside her bag. Closing her eyes, she rested. “I hope…” She wished in her mind.

-----------------------

 “Farewell Ji Hyo. I hope someday, you and Jong Kook hyung will meet again…” Gary said and he saw the plane took off. 

 

------------------------------------

Sorry for the long wait of this chapter. The reason for the lack of update, i guess the excuse was i'm pretty busy plus i'm trying to fit everything to the ending. Yes unfortunately, this story is coming to an end soon. :/ I'm definitely going to miss writing this.If you didn't understand JH's pov, feel free to leave me a comment. :)  Thank you for being patient with me. I hope my chapter will not disappoint. :)