Rekindling the Flames of Fear

The Misconception of a Human
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was dark. Everything was. Everyone was quiet. You sat up in your bed and looked around you. In front of you, Silver Boy was peacefully breathing in and out, his eyes closed for good. To your right, Sunggyu was laying on his stomach, his face resting on his folded arm. Usually, it would be Sungjong instead, but after tonight’s matter Sunggyu almost kicked the younger male out of the mattress. To your left, Jimin. You smiled. Seeing him asleep was something incredible. When he was awake, he always seemed so tense and dull; as if he carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. But when he was asleep, it was different. He looked like a weak and lost child. It was both cute and sad to see. Because you knew it was exactly what he was. If both of you have lost your parents, his died way before yours. When he was only fifteen. When he was only a child. When he was still weak and unprepared for the life that awaited him. For the life he now led. But this view made you smile nonetheless because of the innocence and peaceful feeling oozing from his features. You fondly ran your hand through his smooth hair. After all the things he went through, he deserved it. To have serene and calm nights. He deserved it. The others were sleeping on the enormous couch.

Everyone was asleep. Everyone except you. As always, you were struggling to sleep. The reason for your tiredness wasn’t only your late patrols; it was also due to insomnia. Every night, you tossed and turned in your bed. Every night, you hardly found your way to sleep. And when you did, it wasn’t for more than two or three hours only. You get up from your sitting position and after stepping over Jimin’s body, you walked toward the kitchen where you got yourself a large fresh water-filled glass. You leaned on the counter, just in front of the window, and took a look at the outside. A welcoming starry sky. An irresistible and immaculate full moon. That was what you saw. But it wasn’t a star you were looking for. No matter what is it, unfortunately, you couldn’t find it from here…

There were so many stars out there that you couldn’t help but to look at them. Maybe the dead’s souls really joined the sky to illuminate the night, to guide the living to the path of light. To watch over them. Despite their eternal departure. After all, maybe these stories your father told you were true. But then, were your parents out there too? Were they watching you from above? You smiled as if you were mocking yourself for thinking such nonsense. You parents were nowhere. They had just disappeared into thin air. You’d tend to think that such abstractions such as Hell or Heaven didn’t exist. However, a small part of you hoped they did exist. Just to tell you they had not completely disappeared. That they were somewhere looking at their daughter. Somewhere, proud of you. Of the person you became, thanks to them. But also thanks to yourself. You missed them. You missed them so much. You wanted to see them again. You just wished they could come back and be part of your life like before. So you could tell them when something was wrong. So you could share your joy with them. So they could soothe you when you couldn’t get to sleep. At moment like this. Moments like tonight.

Ultimately, everything brought you back to your initial problem. The severe lack of sleep.  You finally released a breath you didn’t realize you were holding as you backed away from the counter. After having emptied the glass in one gulp, you left the starry heaven-like night to go back to your harsh reality. To your Circle’s members. To your weird demon. To your current, unordinary life. A life in which being in touch with evil’s forces is common. A life where killing is not forbidden. For it is the only way to survive.

You traipsed toward the living room, feeling better due to the water you just gulped down. You lay down and put your head on the pillow, looking at the ceiling. You were imagining the night sky and the numerous stars dancing, in an enchanting and mesmerizing way. As you closed your eyes slowly, relishing in the peaceful feeling, you began to recall when you would stargaze with your parents sometimes, and how your father always wanted you to take a look in the telescope stored in the garden. He would show you every possible constellation and explain their names to the curious little girl you were. You were insatiable. You couldn’t stop asking questions. And that’s how you grew fascinated by the Universe and its mysteries.

You remembered one particular night. The night of your 6th birthday. That special night when, as you were looking in the telescope, you spotted something unusual.

 

 

« “Dad!” you called him.

He was talking with your mother and you found yourself pulling on his sleeve impatiently. He looked down and smiled at you, ruffling your hair while your eyes were still glued to the telescope.

“What is it, sweetheart?” he asked then.

“Dad, the sky is sick!” you exclaimed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter