"Fire and Ice"

The Misconception of a Human
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They got all of your attention. Not because they were impressive. Not because they had the numerical advantage. Not because you were afraid. You were waiting. Quietly. You were waiting for one of them to attempt a move. Just one would suffice. And you could release the arrow your had previously nocked.

“Drop that down, sweetheart. You’re going to hurt yourself…” the voice said pointing at your bow, smiling like a fallen angel.

You didn’t even blink, you just stayed still. Now you could see how he looked like. He wasn’t really tall compared to the others. But he was clearly leading them, without a doubt. Small but snappish. He seemed civilized for now, but he may not stay courteous for long. His brown hair were messy and his dark mysterious eyes were shining from excitation. Maybe it was a kind of game for him. Like the mischievous cat is playing with its prey before swallowing it down. You narrowed your eyes at him. You could almost tell without a doubt that his aura was familiar.

“We will see who will end up being hurt…” you muttered with an indifferent tone due the concentration. You stretched the rope of your bow menacingly. You were smirking unknowingly. It seemed like an eternity you hadn’t done that. You regretted blaming him because you were looking forward to it as well.

“Seyi…” Silver Boy called out to you, urge oozing from his voice. You didn’t turn your head toward him nor did you lessen your concentration. But you answered him nonetheless. Because, well, if he had a miraculous idea, then you would buy it without asking further questions. It was an emergency situation after all.

“Hmm?” you just replied.

“You shouldn’t do that… It would be better not to upset them, don’t you think?” He said like it was a sort of great alternative he had found through careful investigation. You just wanted to face palmed yourself by hearing such an evident fact coming from his mouth.

“Well, I guess demons also have their geniuses…” You mocked his remark. 

“What I mean is…” he began defending himself stubbornly before you interrupted him.

“I know what you mean. I also know our chances of winning this are approaching the one percent. And so what? Do you want to stay still, waiting for them to kill you without even fight back? Do you want to be a coward? Come back to your senses. We have no choice. You cleared things for him.

“I admit you are quite courageous, sweetheart.” the sugary voice feigned to soften, obviously referring to the fact you were ready to put a fight doomed to failure. One human and one weird pacific-like demon against eight dangerous and powerful ones. It was hopeless. A sarcastic laugh escaped your control. But there was no trace of amusement. None. Because this meant your upcoming death. Because the Jägers wouldn’t think you went that far in the forest. Because they would think you are secured with another demon to your side. Because you simply wouldn’t let them be part of such a fight. Your laugh, actually, was ironical.

“We can’t say the same for you, unfortunately” you mocked them with an evil smirk, your eye still focused on your arrow’s target. Not being the one they all expected. Your choice wasn’t a random one. You were always the best out of the Jägers to decipher the auras. But, you weren’t aiming yet, though. You didn’t want to reveal it just yet.

“Well, we like being sure everything will go smoothly”

“Aren’t you ashamed of your advantage? Isn’t it a tiny bit inglorious…?” Honestly, you were just trying to gain some time of your precious life. Whether they were ten or a thousand, you didn’t give a damn.

“You ask too much question, sweetie.” He answered your question with a disgusting smile of his. It gave you the chills how his lips curved upward, showing his pearly white teeth. You didn’t say anything back. And you weren’t mean to. That’s what he wanted. To make you voiceless, wordless. Hopeless. Because, yes, no matter how strange it may seems, words mean and will always mean one thing: hope.

“Good.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter