Jewelry

The Misconception of a Human
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your body slowly started to move and you instantly felt uncomfortable. The ground was hard and your side hurt because you were lying on it. You hand brushed against the floor and you realised it was made of wood. Painfully, you opened your eyes, blinking several times in order to wake you up slowly, as your memories from what happened flowed inside your heart. When you were sure you were stable, you stood up rather hastily. You made a hesitant step forward.

 

“Silver Boy ?”

 

You wondered where he could be. Where everyone could be, since you were alone in here. Where were you to begin with? As to answer your own question, you let your orbs travel all around the place where you stood. You came to two absolute conclusions. The first one, you were alone. There wasn’t any noise and the silence was nerve wrecking. The only thing you could hear was a tiny continuous swish, probably due to the odd thin veil of white fog. You tilted your head to the side in wonder. The second one, you were in a house.  It wasn’t very rich but it was comfy and warm. The feeling was warm, but not only. It was also kind of hot in here. You turned your head and saw a door behind you. Your eyes widen at the view of the same door you had previously smashed. You recognized the house now. You remembered the heat. You remembered your fear. Your remembered the fire whirling around your limbs to trap you in his flames. You weren’t afraid this time thought. You remembered something else which had erased this feeling. The woman and her baby. You stormed into the kitchen. At least what was left of it. There were no more obstacles there; the pile of furniture had disappeared. The woman had disappeared. And so had her child. You traipsed toward the spot where they previously had been laying hopelessly in order to enjoy the rest of oxygen which had been offered to them.  The sun was rising and you turned to the small ancient window which was letting in the tiny sunrays. Something on the ground then caught your attention. A slight reflection of light. You bent forward and picked up the shining object.

“What is it ?” You asked yourself out loud to make the lack of human presence less disturbing. You turned and returned the item to inspect every angle of it. It didn’t help you to understand what it was though, it only made you think it was beautiful. The kind of mystical charm… in both senses of the word. It was a kind of necklace, except the pendant was far from being ordinary-looking. It was round, maybe 5 centimeters in diameter and golden. Obviously quite old. You weren’t an expert in this field but it didn’t look fake like all the ridiculous reproductions of antique items. This one resembled an original. The composition of the different symbols was both simple and complex. They were several engraved circles, the center of the pendant being their common center. In the first circle, encompassing only the thin edge of the pendant, were four symbols, using triangle as a base, placed at the four cardinal points exactly like on a compass. In between them were simultaneously one or two different signs. They were six of them. The second circle, the thicker, was divided into five equal parts and they were six other symbols. Finally, in the last circle, which was covering the center part of the object and horizontally divided in two parts, there was a beautiful phoenix with its wings deployed. Behind it, a round cut, its upper part was the upper half of the sun and the lower part was the lower part of the moon. The whole thing was attached to a long gold chain interlaced with a thin brown leather cord.

You were still holding it cautiously by its chain, examining it thanks to the white light pouring from the sun when a familiar noise made its way near your spot. You turned to face it but you were already absorbed in the same black hole which had probably also brought you here earlier.

You literally jumped awake, but this time you didn’t scream. Only a gasp came out of your lips. After a few seconds, you realized it was a dream and breathed out, closing your eyes again while your hand rubbed your forehead and smoothed your hair. You tried to get up but then, something tilted in your head. You were on a white bed but this wasn’t your room. Sudden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter