Chapter 14

I Fell In Love With A Ballet Dancer

The cobblestones of Paris stared back at me as I dragged my suitcase to my new appartment. Business men and teenagers alike whizzed pass me as reached the metal gate of the estate. Pushing open the silver bars, the aroma of freshly cut grass hit me like a bullet. Kids were running around in a small playground as the sun began to set over the city of lights.

The grey stairs rubbed against my clean suitcase while I tried to lift it up to my new address.

'Do you need any help, Miss?' said a voice, not far behind me. I looked down. A pair of electifying blue eyes stared back. Not knowing what I should say next, he smiled softly and took the suitcase, our hands in brief contact.

'Are you new here?' he said in French.

'Yes, I'm a ballet dancer.' I followed quietly behind him, a tall and elegant figure.

'Wow, so was my mother. I grew up with ballet, you see. What's your name by the  way?'

'Byul. Or in English, Belle.' He put suitcase on the stone floor, its plastic cover skimming the ground by my door.

'Nice to meet you, Belle.' He put out his right hand, 'I'm Alex.'

"Nice to meet you too, Alex.' His face broke into a smile, the corners of his eyes slightly crinkling.

'If you need me, I'll be just downstairs.'

My apartment smelled of dust, the floor covered. The walls able to give away what the previous dancer was like, brash,aggressive. The blue sofa beckoned me over and I grabbed my phone. 17 unread messages.

'Have you landed yet?' - Kyuhyun

'Where are you now?'

'When will I be able to visit?'

'I miss you, seriously.'

'Please, please, please pick up...'

...

The image of his face flashed in my mind when I closed my eyes, my head resting on the softness of the sofa, enveloping me like being in his arms.

Later, I called him. 

'Hey.' I began.

'Uhh, this isn't really a good time now, Byul.'

'Why not?' anger began to rise up like foam.

'Nara's parents are here.' he said in a hushed tone, a baby's cry in the background, 'It's OK, daddy's here..'

'Listen, I just wanted to tell you I'm fine here, it seems like you don't have the time for me anymore.'

'Byul! Don't even think about hanging up on me. Listen, I love you. I want to say so much more, because you're the only person who I revealed my true self to. I loved you years ago and I still love you now.'

'It just feels like we're wasting eachother's time. Do I really want to be pining over someone else's husband?' I swallowed back my tears.

He hesitated.

'No you don't. I hope we're able to meet again, because I cherish our time together, and memories are to be commemorated.' It sounded as if he had started crying too.

I laid back on seat and wrapped my arms around myself, biting my lips in order to not cry out.

'I want to let you go, Kyu. When we meet again, I want to visit you in the park we first met in, and to meet your daughter. To be able to see eachother as friends and without shame. That's what I want. ' A quiet, muffled laugh rang out on the other end of the phone.

'Of course, let's set a date. Dowon Park, 7:30pm?'

'What date?'

'I don't know. Let's leave that to fate.'

'Until then?'

'Goodbye, my beautiful, sweet Byul.'

'Goodbye, Kyu, good luck.'

I could hear that he hadn't hung up yet, the rhythmic melody of his breathing echoed through the phone. 

I put my head in my hands, letting my tears rush down my cold cheeks.