Time and Tide by sooyoung2345

VᴇʀꜱᴀEᴍᴇʀɢᴇ ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ꜱʜᴏᴘ。 — busy!
time and tide by sooyoung2345
title [5/5]
I personally like this title. Just by looking at it, I feel as if the title has an obvious connection. Tide, because they're out at sea (most likely) and Time, because, well, sailing does take time. While this is just from first glance and spectulation, I think the title still fits overall.


description/foreword [10/10]
First thing first, whoever did the poster did an amazing job. Like, honestly.
I just like the aesthetic of it in general. Anyways, moving on, the description is pretty interesting. Granted, I really like the theme you have going on. I think the pirate aspect is appealing. While it sounds slightly cliche with the part mentioning the jewel, it's fitting since pirates are, well, hunting for treasure in places. So, I think the description by itself sounds very good.

As for the foreword, I'm into it. Like, wow. I like the way it's worded, as well, it really brings that captivation in. "disintegrating into ashes and falling into the waters" just sounds so descriptive and I'm really all for it. There's really not much else to say here aside from praise. It's really good.


plot [50/50]
I usually don't read pirate au's but my lord, this is amazing. Each scene just plays out perfectly. So far, I think my favorite has to be the one in Shanghai. Specifically when he went to see the person who told him his fate. "Ocean and bloodshed", the way he laughed it off and said fate could be changed. I loved that and the way he said that we all need a bit of madness in our lives. The part at the end wasn't bad either, I think it's a decent representation of how some pirates were viewed (like outlaws).

I found the concept of Baekhyun being able to "kill" ghosts quite interesting. Usually you wouldn't think of ghosts as killable so that was a little twist there. After finishing the story though, I'm actually kind of glad you requested it. The overall plot was apparent. Baekhyun desperately wanted to revive his brother, the one that he had to watch die. That didn't change throughout the story and he went through with it in the end, even sacrificing things in return. Honestly, a 10/10 story.

Another thing, I loved the A/N at the end. It really shows how passionate you were about this story and that's literally one of my favorite things to see. It's always nice to see writers be excited over something they wrote, especially when so many people write just because they want recognition these days. That was just nice to see, really, I'm glad you enjoyed writing this story because it really showed. The amount of passion one puts into something can always make it better. Little passion is probably going to turn out worse than something full of passion.

Overall, the story was very enjoyable and I loved the overall concept of it.

writing style/flow* [20/20]
When it comes to your writing style, there really wasn't anything wrong. No grammar issues or bad word structure. There's really not much to say here since you know what you're doing in terms of writing.

As for flow, a section you wanted me to focus on, I really don't think there's anything for me to highly criticize. When you progressed from scene to scene, you did it well. It didn't feel very choppy or unorganized at all, everything came together in the end. You ease into the next part well and there really wasn't any room for confusion when reading. I've seen stories go from one scene to a completely different one and it left me confused, but this one was on point so really, you seem to know what you're doing. I feel like this story doesn't have much wrong with it because of the fact that you put so much passion and love into it.


characterization* [10/10]
I found your characters different and fairly interesting. Why? Well, they're mainly dead and Baekhyun brought their souls in (or something like that) to help him find what he is looking for. 

Baekhyun as a character was well developed. While we didn't know all the things of his life, we kind of learned to know who he was just by the things and 'flashbacks' that happened throughout the story. The passion and determination he had in reviving his brother was almost admirable. I think it was amazing how much he wanted it, how much he believed in it. Even when his brother had doubts, he was convinced it was real and no myth. I think he was blinded a bit, he seemingly had a bit of anger in him at the beginning--wanting people to know his name. He seemed to have a struggle within him revolving around his brother and how he died. Maybe a bit of doubt in himself, as well. Overall, I believe Baekhyun was an interesting character.

His brother, Baekbeom, was interesting too. A ghost that would visit his brother, not much else he could do due to being killed. While there's not much about him either, he is the passion for Baekhyun to embark on this four year journey, searching for something that might not be there. Baekbeom does have his doubts, of course, but you can tell he cares about his brother, even as a phantom. He shows his doubts to Baekhyun, maybe because he knows it's bad. Especially after the Shanghai fortune-teller incident. He's a good kid from what I've seen and it was pleasant. 

I like how we even got some background information on Minseok, a character that only popped up here and there. He had a wife he wanted to return to which was sweet. 

Overall, your characters, dead or alive, were very well thought out from what I've seen. I have no complaints.


personal enjoyment [5/5]
Honestly wasn't planning to really read all of it through but I got hooked, so oops. I really enjoyed your story and loved the fact that it wasn't circulated around romance. I know most stories are driven off romance and that gets boring so this was a nice change, honestly. The brotherly relationship between the two characters was seemingly bittersweet but I think you did a great job, really.


total of [100/100]
others: I really had nothing bad to say, good job! ♥