The one I love

Will I do it again? - Sequel to I let you go

 

I turned to look at Joonmyeon to check on him. I knew how I felt but I had no idea how about him, so it was very natural for me to want to see how he was doing. But he smiled at me and tightened his grip on my hand. ‘We’re together now, they won’t harm you anymore!’, he said. I smiled back at him and turned to see them. Hana was actually on her way to say hello, pulling Chanyeol with her: ‘Byul! I’m so happy to see you together!’, smiled Hana, while Chanyeol kept looking to the side. Joonmyeon smiled at Hana.

- I didn’t know you knew me – He told her, and Hana shrugged.

-  Well, I don’t. But if my friend Byul is holding hands with you then you must be really lucky to have her. She’s amazing – She said smiling at me.

My boyfriend hugged me. ‘She really is’, he smiled. Chanyeol, who had been looking at us, turned to look at me in the eye with a sad expression. I smiled at him.

 

‘So, are you here for the premiere?’, asked Hana while my boyfriend and hers were waiting in line to get the tickets. I nodded, waiting for the popcorn to be ready so I could get the crap out. ‘We’re here for that too’, she smiled. ‘How have you been?’, he asked again following me through the snacks shop.

- Great. I’ve been good – I told her honestly.

- Did you like the sweets I got you last time? I remembered you like Peppero so I put some boxes in there.

Wrong. Chanyeol was the one who used to go crazy with that. I liked Pejoy candy.

- Yeah, thank you – I smiled – Very nice of you.

‘Baby let’s go!’called Joonmyeon, waving at me to enter to the movie with him. I waved at Hana and followed him. ‘Aree you alright?’ he asked me while we were walking. I grabbed his arm and smiled. ‘That was weird, I’m not going to lie to you. Out of all the movie theaters in Seoul we had come to the same one, to the same movie!’, I laughed, and he nodded, grabbing my hand and putting in against his chest. ‘Byul, if you don’t feel comfortable we can go and find the same movie somewhere else’, he offered, but I shook my head and pulled him to our seats. ‘Hold on, I will go to the ladies’ room so I don’t have to interrupt later’, I smiled ashamed. Joonmyeon laughed and kissed me.

 

On my way out, I felt a hand grabbing my arm. It was Chanyeol, of course. I sighed, smiled and turned to look at him, and wiggled my arm softly, so he could let me go. ‘I didn’t know you liked horror movies’, he told me while supporting his back on the wall. I nodded, putting my hands on my pockets. I guess I wasn’t going to go to the toilet soon, right?

- You’re with him now? – Asked Chanyeol, looking down

- Yes. I am – I smiled softly.

- You were holding hands, Byul.

- Yes, we were.

- I saw that.

I looked at him and tilted my head. What do you want now, Park Chanyeol? He sighed and turned to look at me, straight in the eye. ‘What do you want?’, I asked him calmly.

- Is it real? – He asked

- What?

- Are you too together for real, Byul?

- Why would you ask something like that?

Chanyeol stood up in front of me, lowering his head to make it closer. ‘’When you went to my place to give back that note to me, I thought I was dreaming, Byul’, he began.

- It wasn’t a dream, though.

- Are you happy, Byul?

- I am trying to, yes – I told him

- I really want you to be happy, Byul – Repeated Chanyeol, holding my shoulders.

- Thank you, Chanyeol.

Chanyeol smiled suddenly, but not the way we used to. His both eyes were open, instead of being one half closed. ‘It’s been a while since I heard you calling my name that nicely’. I shrugged, ‘You called my name a couple of times, I thought that’s what you wanted me to do’. Chanyeol smiled again. ‘I like your name, remember?’

 

I smiled and shrugged again, while he sighed and shook his head slowly, changing his expression to a sadder one. I turned to go to my real ‘destination’ and on my way back stood at the hallway for a while. I had just had a conversation with the reason I had come back for, but I had had no feelings whatsoever. All I kept thinking about was Joonmyeon, and all the love he was giving to me. I smiled to myself and went back to my boyfriend.

 

‘What took you so long?’, he asked while placing the popcorn on my lap. ‘Chanyeol wanted to talk for a while’, I told him simply. I figured that if I hid that from him he would be angry if he found out. Given my luck, that was very likely to happen. Joonmyeon kissed my check and smiled. ‘I knew that. I saw Chanyeol going out to find reach you. Thank you for telling me, Byul’.

 

The movie was not quite what I had expected, but there was something else to feel happy about, and I feel that there’s no need to repeat it. Next to me, I have the best man in town. I’m sure. Anyway, after the movie, my boyfriend took me shopping. ‘Why are we doing this?’, I asked him while he pulled me to another store. Joonmyeon shrugged while putting clothes in front of me, so see how I would look in them. ‘You can’t just wear anything in Jeju’, he continued casually.

 

I stopped right there and repeated. ‘Jeju?’, but all he did was nodding casually. ‘I might have lied about what I went to get earlier’, he chuckled. I tilted my head, and he began laughing, making his way to the cashier.

- How so? – I asked him, once in the car

- I made a stop before the movie tickets and got us tickets to Jeju.

- Joonmyeon… I can’t – I told him, as I still had shifts to go to and classes to attend

- Oh, come on! – He exclaimed while patting my leg – You haven’t had a proper rest in a good while.

- That’s true, but I can’t just go and leave my obligations aside, and you can’t either!

Joonmyeon stopped at the red light and turned to look at me with a serious expression.

- Byul, that’s what you did time ago – He said.

- Yes – I growled

- I’m not taking a no for an answer, Byul. I’ve always wanted to do this with the girl I love.

Did he just say he loved me? he did, I heard it, and I felt my heart drowning in happiness. Is this what real love feels like?

- You love me? – I asked him. He chuckled

- How couldn’t I? – He asked me -  Don’t say anything, though. Having you next to me is more than I would ever ask for.

I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder. When we got off the car, I ran to his arms and kissed him. He smiled clumsily. I love him. ‘When are we leaving?’ he grabbed our bags and went inside. ‘Tomorrow, five nights, four days. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find the other way around, I should have planned it’ I smiled at him and shook my head. How come he is apologizing for that?

 

 

When I woke up that morning, he was staring calmly at me, resting his head on his hand. ‘Good morning, sunshine’, he said. I turned to the other side and stretched. He sat up, and put his shirt on. ‘We are leaving at six. We can have dinner in Jeju and then do something else. I’m sorry I couldn’t get an earlier flight’. I slapped his arm and jumped in to hug him. ‘Don’t apologize anymore, Joonmyeon. Just don’t’.

 

Soon the day was almost over and the time to arrive at Jeju was here. We went for dinner to a luxurious and beautiful place, and then for a walk in the beach. Maybe it was because of the flight, or for our daily bike trip that we did before the plane, but we found ourselves dead tired and as soon as we got to the hotel, we fell asleep next to each other.

 

Finally I feel I did the right thing. And yes, I am going to allow myself to go back again and repeat how happy I feel and how perfect he is because I feel that I deserve it. Yes, I do.

 

I wish I could be able to describe how I feel, but only one word comes to mind. I love him.

 

I love Kim Joonmyeon, and I’m telling him about it.