Chapter 22

Midnight Lovers

 

 

 

The dungeon was dark, the only sound being their breathing and the distant sound of dripping water from leaks in the crumbling walls. But even though the dark, Yesung could make out the hunched figure of Kyuhyun in the jail cell.

“Kill him, my love.” Siwon whispers with a sneer, running his hands through the raven dark hair and leaning forward to smell the sweet scent of him, grinning devilishly.

Yesung swallows hard though as he stares at the former king before him behind the bars. His grip tightening around the dagger he had in hand.

“Once you kill him, everything will be over. This rebellion will come to an end, and it will just be you and I.” Siwon says, pushing his lover closer to the open jail cell.

Don’t! Don’t listen to him! He’s deceiving you! Jongwoon shouts in his head.

Yesung takes a step closer and he could see the amount of defeat in Kyuhyun’s dark eyes when he looks up at him.

Please don’t, he loves you!

Yesung’s expression stays impassive and stoic as he finally stands before the brunette, pressing the tip of the blade against his chin before slowly gliding it down his chest, stopping right over his heart. Kyuhyun just stares up at him, his eyes never leaving the others.

“Do it.” Kyuhyun says quietly.

“But it hurts, Kyuhyun. It hurts me to do this to you.” Yesung whispers, holding back his tears.

“Do what you have to do, Jongwoon.” Kyuhyun says, choosing to use his lover’s name. “You have no other choice, and I believe in you.”

Yesung smiles softly as he leans forward, pressing their lips together lightly. “Forgive me.” He whispers, before plunging the blade deep into the other’s chest.

The sound of Siwon’s laughter fills the vast dungeon as Kyuhyun collapses down onto his knees, Yesung following his movements, throwing his arms around the others neck and holds him close as Kyuhyun reaches up to pull the dagger back out, speeding the blood flow.

“My love, you have served me well. Let us go and celebrate his death.”  The elder reaches forward and pulls the angel away from Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun trying desperately to hold on to the other at least, but Siwon pushes him away and drags Yesung back from him.

Kyuhyun collapses onto the ground, gasping for breath as the bloodied dagger fell to the floor with a loud clatter, his vision blurring from the pain. He gasps out the other’s name, wanting desperately just for the other to stay with him at least, but the loud resonating sound of the dungeon doors closing added to his defeat.

Almost immediately after they had left the dungeons, Yesung excused himself and escaped to the dark confines of his room, curling up in his bed under the sheets, crying.

He doesn’t know who he is anymore.
He just killed a man; a man who had actually cared for him.

And deep inside his mind, he could also hear Jongwoon weeping for his lost lover, broken that he was unable to help Kyuhyun.

Yesung curls up tighter under the covers as he sobs. All he wanted was someone to love and care for him. He yearns for nothing but comfort, but all he receives back is other people’s benefits and being used over and over again.

And now the person he loved is gone too.

Was this how Kyuhyun felt when Jongwoon died?