chapter 25

Midnight Lovers

Sungmin was lying in the bed, eyes closed, body pale as I hold his hand tightly in my own. Flames covered my body as Ryeowook wept at his side. Though he knew it was not true, to his eyes, it looked as if a corpse slept beside him. This war, though died down, was not over. Though the leader of the demons was dead, the fight to keep demons and humans separated still raged. Yesung had indeed failed with taking the throne himself, just as Leeteuk and he had seen.

“If only he would accept Jongwoon, maybe things would be different.” Ryeowook whispered holding his lovers hand. Closing his eyes and cuddling up beside his lover, Ryeowook cursed Yesung’s decision to wake him. Seeing Sungmin unmoving beside him, was worse than death to him.

“I’ve made another mistake.” Yesung whispered appearing in the door and making Ryeowook look over at him with a glare. The dark angel looked pitiful to the small demon. His raven hair disheveled and his eyes dull. To Ryeowook, Kim Yesung was a walking skeleton.

“Why are you here?” Ryeowook asked, his eyes focused on the angel.

“I was thinking about what you said, about me becoming one with Jongwoon. We may have become one in body, but in mind we have not.  I remember Sungmin and Kyuhyun telling me once that you meditated so that you could see the future better. I was hoping you could help me.” Yesung asked. Ryeowook eyed the angel before standing from the bed. His eyes downcasted, already knowing that meditation would not work.

“You have a conference with the demons again today, Things are not going to fix by themselves, you need to decide if you are bringing him back or not.” Ryeowook ordered eyeing the angel with hard eyes. Yesung remained silent as he shifted on his feet.

“I have seen what will happen if you miss the date to revive them, and I promise I will kill you if you let that happen.” Ryeowook snarls sending the angel away. Ryeowook returned to Sungmin’s side, his fire spreading the angrier he became.

“You won’t die hyung, I love you.”  Ryeowook whispers kissing the man’s pale lips. He wasn’t dead, but death was crawling up him.

SUJU-SUJU-SUJU

“Ryeowook is right.” Jongwoon snaps as Yesung lays in his bed.

“I know, but what do I do? I don’t want to bring Kyuhyun back in the midst of a war.” the angel whimpered.

“We have no choice, Kyu will die if we leave him and Sungmin like this to much longer.” Jongwoon explains. Yesung sighs as he looks over at Kyuhyun again. In just moments, he would be placed before the other demons. What would he tell them? What did he do?

“Bring back our lovers.” Jongwoon orders taking over Yesung’s limbs and crawling over Kyuhyun’s body. Yesung shivered, this was why he wanted to keep Kyuhyun asleep, he was two people still, and that was challenging.

His lips touched Kyuhyun, the sweet kiss deepening as life reentered their lover. They craved those lips, craved how they molded against theirs, how safe they suddenly felt. Yesung pulls away just as Kyuhyun sits up coughing and gasping for breath.

“Kyu?” Yesung calls drawing the man’s attention. Their eyes meet, his wide and confused, Yesung’s dull and afraid.

“Jongwoon.” he replies, his voice scratchy and hoarse. Yesung quickly grabs him some water before helping him drink. When he had down two glasses, Kyuhyun tried speaking again.

“Jongwoon, what happened, where am I?” Kyuhyun asked grasping at Yesung’s hand. The battle of voices in Yesung’s head raged as he tried to speak. Jongwoon wanted to just explain everything in detail, Yesung wanted to shield Kyuhyun from the pain of death and ruling.

“Nothing my King, come on, we have to wake Sungmin.” Yesung replies helping him to stand before making our way slowly to Ryeowook’s room. Kyuhyun followed me without question, hands locked as demons bowed to their rightful King. When they arrived outside Ryeowook’s door, Yesung felt the pang of the true Jongwoon yelling against his brain.

“So, this is what you chose?” Ryeowook asked eyeing his King as the two entered the room.

“What’s going on?” Kyuhyun asked as Yesung walked over to Sungmin, repeating the kiss he had given both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook before. Ryeowook was at Sungmin’s side in an instant, holding the older’s hand as Sungmin gained conscious.

“For the past month, you have been in a coma. The war is winding down, but we still need a king, and you are that King.” Ryeowook said before hugging Sungmin close as the older drinks his water and leans against Ryeowook.

“Jongwoon, did you do all of this?” Kyuhyun asks eyeing his lover. Yesung blushed before nodding his head and moving to the older demon’s side.

“Welcome back.” he whispered feeling safe as Kyuhyun hugged him back for the first time in months.