Chapter 24

Midnight Lovers

 

 

 

“You guys share such sweet memories…” Yesung says softly, opening his eyes.

It’s not just me and him anymore, you are part of me. You are just unaware of it. Jongwoon explains, sharing his and Kyuhyun’s memories to the demon-angel. Just like how I was you, an unawakened Angel.

“But I don’t feel like I’m fitting in right. Everything thing I’ve done is a sin. I’ve killed people, I killed Kyuhyun, and now I’m trying to take over this kingdom.”

It’s not your fault. Siwon was just brainwashing and controlling you. Jongwoon comforted reassuringly.

“But—“

“Is it Jongwoon?” A voice interrupts, causing Yesung to glance up at the newcomer, suddenly tense and cautious.

He smiles a little when he sees that it was only Ryeowook, relaxing back against the wall he was leaning against, sitting on the bed next to his still unconscious lover. He nods once in reply to the question, reaching down to gently brush back Kyuhyun’s hair lovingly.

“Well whatever he has to say, believe him. He knows best and I’m sure he does a lot of thinking back in that mind of yours when you guys aren’t talking together. “Ryeowook said, making his way over to his own lover.

“He says we’re the same person. I don’t remember any of these memories he’s showing me though.” Yesung says wistfully, biting at his lip a little as he glances longingly down at Kyuhyun.

“You’ll gain those memories back soon, don’t worry too much about it. Just embrace Jongwoon fully, accept that you are him and you both will become one. We need you and him to be able to win this war, so don’t give up yet.” The fire user says encouragingly, trying to give the other a smile of reassurance but it came out strained instead as he gently took Sungmin’s hand into his.

“And then we could bring back our lover’s, and live a happy life together with no more elder’s to control us.”

“I’ll bring him back, I promise.” Yesung says quietly, glancing over towards the other two.

Ryeowook shrugs a little. “I trust you,” was all he said before a dragging silence fell upon them, comforted only by their comatose partners.

“You should probably claim the throne soon though,” Ryeowook starts again after several minutes. “You need to take control of this kingdom now that Siwon is dead, and put it right again. The wizards have lost to you so we have no longer have a strong army. Only you could control the demons now.”

“B-But…I can’t. I-I don’t kn-know what to do!” Yesung says, panicking a little. “What am I supposed to do? How do I control a kingdom of bloodthirsty demons?”

You have to believe in yourself, and listen to whatever I have to say. Jongwoon speaks up from in his mind.

“They listen to you now, but we can’t allow them to lose their loyalty or trust towards you. Just stall them for as long as you could, put a halt to this war to give us enough time to regain our army and then bring the rightful king back to his throne.” Ryeowook says. “Listen to any advice Jongwoon has to give to you. He knows how to do this.”

“Wh-What if I panic again like last time? And collapse right in front of them?!” Yesung says, trying his hardest not to hyperventilate at the mere thought of it.

“I’m sure Jongwoon won’t let that happen this time.” Ryeowook mutters, rolling his eyes a little.

“You promise?” Yesung asks childishly, biting at his lip nervously as he slid off the bed.

“I promise.”

I promise.


Alright, maybe it didn’t go as planned. Yesung nearly had a nervous breakdown when he stepped before the mass of demons, immediately breaking out into a cold sweat and trembling uncontrollably despite Jongwoon’s comforting words, in which Yesung retorted back that Jongwoon wasn’t the one who had to stand before the thousands of evil beings.

Ryeowook could only stand by the sidelines and watch quietly as Yesung tried to take control of the unsatisfied demons. Halfway through Yesung’s stammering speech, the crowd had broke out into chaos, shouting angrily up at their current leader, upset that the throne was being tossed back and forth with no designated King to hold onto it.

Yesung only managed to regain control again when his large wings snapped open in self-defense against the chaotic screams and glares, the wings dark and menacing as they extended.

After a few more tense minutes, Yesung managed to persuade the rowdy crowd to do as he says for now, until everything is put right again. Begrudgingly, the demons had to accept, having no other to rely upon or receive information from.

You did well. Jongwoon commented from the back of Yesung’s mind as he finally finished his speech and immediately headed straight for his room.

“Liar.” Yesung mutters under his breath as he drops down onto his bed where his still unconscious lover lay upon, burying his face against the firm chest for comfort only to find none.

Jongwoon was silent for a moment, earning a frown from Yesung, knowing that he actually did do pretty badly.

Well alright, maybe not the greatest speech ever. But you at least have the demons under control correct? Jongwoon tried to reason.

Yesung just grunted in slight agreement as he shifted slightly on the bed and cuddled next to his king, still pressing his face against the chest.

You’re doing alright for now, Yesung. Don’t worry. Jongwoon comforted as the angel slowly closed his eyes, wanting nothing than to just sleep and stay in his dream land.

All we need to do now, is bring back our lover.