Chapter 1

Howl

 

Chapter 1

 

Kai POV

 

            I was almost asleep when I heard the door to my bedroom creak open, “Minah, go back to sleep,” I groaned.

            I heard the four year olds feet pat across the floor and then felt her attempt to climb up on the bed.

            I opened my eyes, “Minah, go back to bed.  It’s late.”

            “I had a bad dream.”

            I knew she was lying just so I would let her sleep with me, “You and I both know that isn’t true.”

            “Fine,” she frowned, “just help me up please, daddy.”

            I sighed in surrender, “Okay Minah, you can sleep here, just for tonight.”

            “Yay!”

            I placed my hands under her arms and pulled her up on the bed.

            “Get under the covers,” I told her pulling up the blankets.

            “Thank you for letting me sleep with you again daddy!” she said.

            “Your welcome Peanut, but this is the last time, okay?”

            She giggled, “You said that yesterday daddy!”

            I smiled and pulled her against my chest, “you’re too smart for me.”

            When her giggling stopped she said, “Daddy, will you tell me about mommy again?”

            “Of course I will, but tomorrow.  Right now, we need to sleep.”

            She stretched out her arms and yawned, “Okay daddy.”

 

            I was awoken the next morning by Minah climbing on top of me.

            “Daddy, daddy!” said yelled, “wake up, wake up!”

            “Okay, okay Minah.  I’m awake.”

            “Good, Lulu has breakfast ready!”

            “Does he now, what did he make?”

            “Come down stairs and see!”

            Minah jumped off the bed and ran down the hallway to the stairs and then to the breakfast nook.

            Before going down to breakfast, I took a quick shower and threw on some cloths.

            “Daddy, come on!!” Minah yelled to me from downstairs.

            “I’m coming,” I called back to her as I went down the steps.

            Minah was already sitting patiently at the table, waiting for Luhan and Kyungsoo to finish making breakfast.

            I sat down next to her at the table while the other pack members started to file in and take their seats.

            “Here you go,” said Luhan setting a plate in front of Minah, “a cute bunny shaped chocolate chip pancake for a very cute little girl.”

            “Thank you Lulu!  It looks so yummy,” she dug in.

            “Minah,” I said taking the fork and knife away from her, “take smaller bites or you’ll choke,” I started to cut her pancakes for her.

            “Daddy, I can do it myself!” she wined.

            “No, you’re still too little to be using a knife.”

            She frowned and crossed her arms, “no I’m not.”

            “Don’t pout, Minah,” said Chanyeol, “or else your face will get stuck like that.”

            Her eyes widened, “okay, I won’t pout anymore, I promise.”

            After breakfast, everyone was putting their plates in the sink when I realized that two of our pack members were not there.

            “Hey,” I asked, “where are Sehun and Baekhyun?”

            “Patrolling the boarder,” answered Chen.

            “Taemin was on our land again,” said Kris.

            I frowned.

            “Daddy,” Minah tugged on my shirt, “your face will get stuck like that!”

            I laughed and scooped her up in my arms, “your right, I’m sorry Peanut.  Let’s go get dressed, okay?”

            “Okay!” she leaped from my arms and ran up the stairs to her room.

            “I’ll be right up okay.”

            “I’ll pick out my outfit while I wait!”

            I looked at Kris who was sipping on a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper.

            “Why was he on our land again?”

            “That’s what we’re trying to figure out Kai.  He’s still mad at you for killing his mate.”

            “I’m just as mad about my mate as he is about his, but you don’t see me trespassing on SHINee’s land…”

            “Taemin doesn’t believe in your reason for killing her.”

            “She tried to take Minah from me, and then she killed ChoHee, I had a rational reason to kill NaEun.”

            “Taemin doesn’t see it as rational” Kris folded up the paper, “look at the issue from his point of view.  If ChoHee had killed NaEun and then Taemin killed ChoHee in return, how would you feel?”

            “You have a point…but ChoHee wouldn’t try to take someone else’s baby from them…NaEun did…”

            “Both you and Taemin know how it feels to lose the one you love.  The only difference is that you have Minah to keep you going, Taemin doesn’t.  He’s probably suffering twice as much as you.”

            Before we could finish our conversation, Minah came running back down the stairs.

            She peeked her head into the breakfast nook and said, “Daddy, your taking too long!”

            “I’m sorry Minah, I’m coming now.”

            I went with her up the stairs and into her room.

            On her bed, Minah had an outfit all picked out.  Minus the socks, she hates socks.

            I kneeled in front of her and stripped her of her pink pajamas, replacing them with a plaid, fall colored dress.

            “Go pick out socks now,” I told her.

            “But daddy, I hate socks.  There so bunchy…”

            “Well if you’re going to play outside today, you need to wear them.  It’s too cold to go barefoot.”

            “I’ll be okay; I’ll just put on my boots without socks on.”

            “No, you’re not doing that.”

            “Why not!?” she crossed her arms and pouted again.

            “Because, I said so, and didn’t you hear what Chanyeol said earlier?  Your face is going to get stuck if you keep pouting.”

            “I know,” she said going over to her sock drawer, “I heard him.”

            Minah was putting on her purple socks when I heard the front door open and Sehun call from the living room, “Hey guys, you better get in here!”

            I picked up Minah and together we went to the living room to see what was going on.  The entire pack was circled around the couch.

            “What’s going on?” I asked.

Lying on the couch unconscious in front of us was a girl…a human girl.