Chapter 20

Howl

 

Chapter 20      

 

Third Person POV

 

            Kai continued to gasp for air.  His arm and leg were almost completely healed now and he began to stand.

            He shifted and ran to the black wolf that stood over his enemy’s body.  It was her…his eye’s were not deceiving him.

            Taemin struggled to stand, his spine wasn’t broken, but it was severely injured.

            “Just give up Taemin, you can’t fight anymore,” said Kai.

            But Taemin didn’t listen to him and shifted; however, he struggled to stay in his wolf form.  Still, he charged Kai and he let himself get tackled.  He easily threw Taemin off him, but he kept coming.

            Taemin had begun to heal and could hold himself in battle once again.  He snapped his jaw at Kai but was once again pushed off by the black wolf.  Together, Kai and ChoHee charged Taemin and ripped him open. 

            He no longer moved.  The battle was over.

            Kai shifted back to his human form and collapsed in the snow, exhausted.

            “Daddy!”  Minah ran into her father’s arms and hugged him and tightly as she could.

            “Hey Peanut!” he kissed the top of her head.

            Minah pulled away and looked at the black wolf that stood behind her father, “hi mommy.”

            The black wolf shifted and smiled at her daughter, “Hi Minah.”  ChoHee reached her hand out to her daughter and lightly cupped her check, “you’re so beautiful.”

            Minah giggled, “Daddy says I look like you.”

            ChoHee smiled and took her husbands hand.

            “I’ve missed you so much,” he said.

            “I know,” she replied, “but I never really left you, you know.”

            Kai smiled and kissed his wife for the first time in four years.

            She pulled away and said, “Jongin, I’m not yours to kiss anymore.  You have a new mate, whose good for you and Minah, I approve of her.  So go to her, she needs you right now.”

            Kai picked up Minah and walked up the porch to where Sehun held Jaemi’s unconscious body.

            “Hi ChoHee,” he said stunned.

            “Hey Sehun, I missed you.”

            The rest of Exo stood at the base of the porch, each of their mouths open in shock. 

            Kai, Minah and ChoHee all kneeled next to Jaemi.

            “Jongin,” said Sehun, “She’s dying…the bite isn’t changing her like it should be.”

            Kris walked up the stairs of the porch and knelt beside them, “She’s dying because the bite was given to her by someone other than her mate…If there’s any hope in saving her...Kai…you need to change her now.”

            Kai nodded in understanding.  He shifted and sunk his teeth into the same spot that Taemin had bitten earlier and almost instantly Jaemi began to heal.  She was beginning to make her first shift.

            Kai shifted back and took her from Sehun and held her.

            ChoHee held her daughter and smoothed her hair back soothingly.

            Jaemi shifted into a beautiful snow white wolf and slowly her eyes fluttered open.  She stood and stared into her mate’s eyes.

            Kai took her face in his hands and touched his forehead to her cheek.

            Jaemi shifted back into her human form and hugged her mate as tightly as she could.

            “You’re so stupid,” she said, “I thought you were going to die.”

            “I did too for a minute,” he laughed nervously.

            She pulled away and looked at the spirit of her mate’s wife, “ChoHee…thank you for coming to help.”

            “Of course, Jaemi, but I can’t stay much longer; I’m giving you my blessing to be with Jongin and Minah forever.  So don’t die like I did or else he’ll be sad again, and I hate seeing him sad.”

            “I love you mommy,” said Minah as she clung to her mother.

            “I love you too Minah, but I have to go now, okay?  Promise me you’ll take care of daddy.”

            “I promise!”

            ChoHee kissed her daughter and handed her to Jaemi.

            Kai took his wife’s hand and kissed her gently on the lips, “I’ll always love you,” he whispered.

            “And I’ll always love you,” she kissed him again, “stop crying Jongin; you have Minah and a beautiful mate.”

            He wiped his tears and smiled at his wife.

            ChoHee moved onto Sehun and gave him a great big hug, “thank you for helping Jongin raise Minah.”

            He laughed, “It was nothing.”

            She finished saying her goodbyes to the other members of Exo then disappeared into the woods.

            Kai pulled Jaemi and Minah into him and kissed them both on the top of the head, “Come on, let’s go home.”

 

            That morning, Exo, Super Junior and Girls Generation buried each of the fallen wolves, allies and enemies. 

            “It’s such a shame,” said Jaemi.

            “What is?” asked Kai.

            “That Taemin couldn’t find it in his heart to forgive you…”

            He shrugged, “he was too far gone to rationalize…”

            “It’s like I said all those weeks ago,” said Kris, “you have Minah to keep you going.  Taemin had nothing.”

            Kai turned to face Minho, “What will you do now that…”

            He shrugged, “Before I leave to get my family, I think I’ll stop by the house and burn it down…and I’ll rebuild it for a new pack.”

            “We’d love to help rebuild,” said Kris, “F(x) will be happy they’ll finally have a home of their own.”

            He laughed, “I know Jinri will be happy she’ll finally be able to have her pack visit without having to worry about her pack and mine ripping each others heads off.”

            “We’ll see ya ‘round Minho,” said Kai shaking his hand.

            “Bye guys,” he shifted and took off towards the SHINee mansion.

           

            Minah was fast asleep by the time they had all returned back to the house.  Kai tucked her into bed and both he and Jaemi kissed her goodnight.

            They retreated into the hallway and shared a deep kiss.

            “How’s it feel being a wolf now?” he asked his mate.

            “Kind of weird…not what I expected,” she answered.

            “Good weird or bad weird?”

            “Good weird…when I first shifted, I felt all tingly inside, like it was the right thing.  I’m not sure how I’m going to explain this to my dad though,” she laughed.

            “Who says he needs to know?”

            “Jongin, it isn’t right to hide things from your parents.”

            “I think some things are better off unsaid.”

            “Like what?”

            “Well, being a supernatural being for one thing,” he leaned in to whisper in her ear, “and your life.”

            Jaemi blushed deeply.

            “Are you ready?”

            She nodded, and together they entered their bedroom, and locked the door behind them.  In that moment, Jaemi sent a silent thank you into the universe for letting her get lost in the woods that day and for being found by a pack of wolves.  And because of that incident, she found the love of her life and she will always and forever be by his side, as his mate, his lover, his friend, and his wolf.

            So howl.

 

A/N: stay tuned for an epilogue!  I can’t believe I killed off Taemin…my ultimate bias…oh well…I absolutely love how this story turned out!  I hope you all loved it too!!  So, subscribe, comment and up vote.