Prologue

Howl

Prologue

 

Kai POV

 

            The first time I saw her, I was hunting in the woods outside of our small town.  I was alone, which wasn’t aloud among our kind. 

            She too, was hunting alone.

            I watched her from behind a tree as she stalked a family of rabbits.  Her beautiful jet black fir sparkled as the sunlight hit it.

            I approached her slowly.  She was startled at first but relaxed instantly as I shifted back into my human form.

            I stared at her without saying a word until she too shifted to her human form.

            She was even more beautiful as a human; long straight black hair that cascaded around her shoulders and sparkling blue eyes.

            “I’m Lee ChoHee,” she said in a soft whisper, “from the Diamond pack.”

            “I’m Kim Jongin,” I responded, “from the Exo pack.  But you can call me Kai.”

            We stared into each other’s eyes for what seemed like hours.

            “ChoHee,” I said, “I think that you’re my-”

            “Mate,” she finished for me.

 

            ChoHee and I were 17, or so we appeared in our human forms when we met.

            After realizing that I was her mate, she transferred schools to be with me and my pack.

            Exo was more than excited that I had found my mate and welcomed her with open arms.

            After high school, ChoHee and I were married and she joined the Exo pack.

 

            We were lying in bed during our honeymoon when she said, “Jongin, lets have a baby.”

            “Are you sure?” I asked.

            She was smiling so big I could tell that this is what she wanted, “Yes, I’m sure.”

            It was going to be both of our first times having .  In our world, no wolf dared sleep with another living being that wasn’t their mate.  It just wasn’t how our brains worked.  The thought of engaging in ual activity without a mate repulsed us.

            “You won’t be able to shift into a wolf while you’re pregnant.”

            “I know, I don’t care,” she said, “I want to have a baby with you, Jongin.”

            I kissed her passionately and pulled her under the covers.

           

            Nine months later, ChoHee gave birth to a beautiful baby girl we named Minah.

            Minah had amazing blue eyes like her mother, but thick brown hair like mine.  She was perfect.

           

            It was in the middle of the night, the rest of the pack was asleep in their rooms when we were attacked.

            ChoHee and I were nestled together in our room while Minah slept in the basinet beside our bed.

            Both ChoHee and I felt an unknown presence and bolted awake. 

            I was jumped out of bed and got on all fours while ChoHee went for Minah.

            I growled at the female wolf that had trespassed into our room, “Who are you.”

            She shifted into her human form, I recognized her immediately.  She was NaEun from the A-Pink pack…Taemin’s mate.

            “What are you doing here, NaEun,” I hissed.

            She bared her teeth at me and spat, “Why should you be gifted a child and not me!?”

            I remembered in High School, after Taemin and she had found each other they found out that she was unable to have children in neither her human or wolf form.  She was devastated.

            “So what,” I questioned her, “you’re here to take my baby?”

            “You’re exactly right Kai.  You and ChoHee can always have another child, but Taemin and I can’t.  Just give her to me and I’ll never bother you again.”

            “Over my dead body!” I lunged at her and shifted mid air. 

            In middle school, before Taemin and I made our first shift, we were inseparable.  He was my best friend.  Then the day came that we both made our first shift…he was destined to be part of the SHINee pack, and I belonged to Exo.  Enemy packs.

            Taemin and I could no longer be friends.

            SHINee and Exo’s hatred towards each other was infamous.  Every pack knew that they were enemies and no pack ever tried to get between them during their falling outs.

            To the human eye, it just looked like two groups of friends in High School that couldn’t get along.  There were fist fights in the courtyard, and a lot of trips to the principal’s office.  No human knew about the feud between our packs that dated back thousands of years.

            A-Pink was always allied with Exo, but after Taemin and NaEun found each other, A-Pink allied themselves with SHINee.

            Because both packs are such great enemies, they always kept tabs on each other.  That’s how Exo knew about NaEun’s inability to conceive.

            I slammed into NaEun and drove her into the floor.  She gasped in pain but quickly recovered and kicked me across the room into the wall.

            It happened so fast after that.  Minah was ripped from ChoHee’s arms and thrown across the room.  I shifted back to human and jumped after my daughter, catching her mid air.

            I heard ChoHee scream and turned to see NaEun as a wolf, her jaw clenched tightly over ChoHee’s throat.

            “No!” I set my baby down and shifted again.  I lunged at NaEun, the force of my body hit her so hard that she had no choice but to release my wife and fly into the nightstand. 

            “Kai!” I heard my pack running down the halls of the Exo mansion to my room.

            I ripped away the flesh from NaEun’s body with my teeth.  When she stopped moving, I shifted back to a human and backed away from her body.

            The door to my room flung open, Sehun went to Minah and scooped her up off the floor.

            “Kai, what did you do!?” shouted Kyungsoo.

            “She attacked my family,” I answered monotone.

            Lay went to check on ChoHee, “Kai…” he said, “ChoHee’s dead…”

            My eyes widened and I turned slowly to look Lay in the eyes, “No.”

            I jumped on the bed and pulled my wife into my arms.  Her jugular and wind pipe were both ripped open.  There was blood everywhere.

            I collapsed on top of ChoHee and cried.

 

            The next day, Kris and Tao buried ChoHee deep in the woods and we called a meeting with SHINee on the boarder where our lands met.

            Sehun carried a bundled up Minah and I dragged NaEun’s body behind me.

            Both alpaha’s faced each other, “What do you want Kris,” said SHINee’s alpha Onew.

            “Last night, one of yours came onto our land and killed ChoHee and tried to take her and Kai’s daughter.”

            “That’s impossible,” said Jonghyun.

            I stepped up to the boarder and dropped NaEun’s body in front of Taemin.

            “Stay away from my family,” I said through clenched teeth.

            Taemin stared at his bloodied mate that lay at his feet, “You killed her!?”

            “She killed my mate, I had no choice,” I told my ex-best friend.

            “So you killed mine in return!?” shouted Taemin.

            He lunged at me but Minho pulled him back.

            I turned from the enemy pack and took Minah out of Sehun’s arms and led my pack back to the house.