05

Silently, Giddily.

Soohyun gestured for Hyunwoo to flip over the wall quickly. The last thing they wanted was to get caught red-handed by their new discipline mistress. The two ran down the streets as if their lives depended on it. Reaching the bottom of the slope, they laughed at one another heartily. It was a good escape, a good game against school rules. It wouldn’t hurt to skip school once in a while. After all, you only live once, right?

The two were happily strolling to the nearby arcade when Soohyun suddenly grabbed Hyunwoo by his arm. It was a forceful grip which surprised Hyunwoo himself. The two found themselves in the alley nearby, beside crushed boxes. Hyunwoo was about to speak when Soohyun placed his hands over his mouth. His fingertips brushed past his lips and he could feel his back against his body. It felt weird, really weird.

His question was answered when Hyunwoo saw their discipline mistress walk by, looking straight, with coffee and snacks in hand. Soohyun released Hyunwoo the moment she was out of sight and heaved a sigh of relief. His breath tickled the back of his neck and Hyunwoo bit his lips, wishing his heart would stop acting against his will. It was wrong.

“Let’s g-”

“I’m not feeling well, Soohyun. Got to go.” Hyunwoo suddenly said as he walked away quickly.

Soohyun watch his best friend’s abrupt departure and Hyunwoo completely ignored him when he shouted his name.

“This boy, he’s acting so abnormally these days.” He thought.

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong with you, Lee Hyunwoo?!” Hyunwoo smacked his head and shook it repeatedly.

He hated how he acted when he was around his best friend now. It was as if he really was like what Eunji said of them. A thought crossed his mind.

 

“What if I really did like Soohyun all this time?”

-
 

Soohyun came to class the next day and the first thing he did was scan the classroom for his best friend. It did not take long to spot him. It sort of surprised him that Hyunwoo wasn’t sitting by the window with his headphones on. He was standing beside Jieun, the girl in class whom he has avoided since semester began. He knew she had a thing for him and Soohyun clearly remembered Hyunwoo saying he’d avoid her lest she gets the wrong idea.

“Then what is he doing beside her, now?” he thought to himself.

Hyunwoo had long spotted Soohyun enter class but he refused to look his way. He didn’t know how he would act again if they met eyes once more. He then laughed at Jieun’s not-so-funny joke a little too hard. She slapped his arm lightly and he wondered why his heart didn’t accelerate. He wished it did because he wanted to feel normal. The bell rang and the students scattered back to their seats. Hyunwoo sat beside Soohyun and he turned to him.

“Are you feeling better today?”

He didn’t look him in the eye but he gave his usual smile, nodding slightly.

Hyunwoo wished he didn't ask because to Soohyun, it was probably just a casual question.

But Hyunwoo imagined it as affection, and he hated it so much.