04

Silently, Giddily.

Sometimes, the more you want to find the reason behind something, the more tangled things get. The same logic applies to how one can spend a day racking their brains, in search of something but to no avail. However, the very next day when you gave up on the search, you would realize that it has been lying at an unnoticed spot all this time. Soohyun tried figuring out the weird image of himself at the unfamiliar rooftop and the abnormal sense of familiarity towards Hyunwoo that day. He simply couldn’t comprehend why he had such thoughts, Therefore, he deduced maybe he had dreamt of the scenes before or something.

“Hmm… Does it count as deja vu?”

“Boo.”

The dazed boy jerked back in surprise and found himself staring at a laughing Hyunwoo. Rolling his eyes, Soohyun punched Hyunwoo in his arm really hard. He realized the boy has stronger biceps than before now.

“Geez. You’re so childish.” Soohyun protested.

“What were you thinking of, anyways? You seem to be so out of it these days.” Hyunwoo remarked.

“What if I say I was thinking about you?” Soohyun answered misleadingly.

Hyunwoo’s footsteps became smaller consciously and he hitched his breath. He tried to keep a straight face before letting out a small laugh. Tilting his head in the other direction, he responded, “What a joke.”

Soohyun did not reply to his remark and Hyunwoo didn’t know whether he ought to be glad. He wanted to ask if his words actually held any special meaning, but it was suspicious to ask. In the end, he could only convince himself not to think too much. He didn’t even know whether he wants to think the way he wishes for.

 

After school…

“Want to game today?” Hyunwoo asked.

“Not today.” Soohyun replied.

Hyunwoo was about to ask why when Eunji came running towards the two. She stood beside Soohyun, a little too close in Hyunwoo’s opinion. The girl fixed her bangs and let out a hearty laughter when Soohyun said she was slow like a tortoise. Apparently, Eunji was tasked to take photos of the historical places in their country for an article assignment and she insisted for Soohyun’s companionship.

“Want to come along?” Soohyun offered.

“Are you two gays or something?” Eunji blurted out.  

She was serious with her question and that was how Eunji always acted- direct and sometimes, rude.

“Of course we’re not.” Hyunwoo replied quickly, before Soohyun could.

“By the way, I’ve got to go somewhere today. Bye Soohyun, bye Eunji. Have fun.” Hyunwoo bade farewell to the two.

Hyunwoo hurried away and he turned back to steal a last glance at the two. He saw Eunji jumping up and smacking Soohyun’s back. He wished he was in her place, and then he realize it wasn’t right to think that way. Hyunwoo shook his head and forbade himself from turning around again. The thought of Eunji spending a day with his best friend made Hyunwoo feel weird.

“Are you two gays or something?”

Hyunwoo couldn’t forget the expression Soohyun had on when Eunji posed the question.