Chapter 4

Why I Like You

“They deserved more than that…” he said trying to calm himself down. He then looked at me and smiled. “Well I’m going to make them change their looks once and for all… just follow me.”

I followed closely behind him and was hoping not to lose him in the large crowd of people who were window shopping at the clothing stores near us.

We soon came across an expensive beauty salon and Kyuhyun went inside. Why are we-

“Seo Joo Hyun… you’re going to have a makeover today,” he said and smiled.

I was deep in shock. “Wh-What?! I never asked for one! I’m happy with what I have now and I don’t have the money to spoil myself!” I said in a rush.

“Hyunnie… don’t worry too much about that today, I’ll pay for everything!” he said and grinned proudly.

I shook my head and said, “No, It’s okay! I don’t want to be such a burden on you!”

He smiled and said to the lady, “Ahjumma! Make Hyunnie pretty!”

She looked angry when he called her Ahjumma but when she turned around and saw him, she held back her words because she thought Kyuhyun was cute. She looked at me and she looked jealous though she didn’t dare to say anything.

She smiled and she sat me down at a nearby chair. She untied my hair and started looking to see what she could do to make me prettier. She got out a curler started putting soft curls into it.

After half an hour, she finished doing the hair and make-up. I couldn’t even tell who I was. “Wahh! Kamsahamnida unni!” I said excitedly and happily.

She didn’t reply but she looked proud of herself with what she did. She suddenly turned and started batting her eyes quickly, trying hard to look pretty. I wondered why until I saw that Kyuhyun walked back into the salon. It looked like the girl was trying to flirt with him as he gave the money for the hair and make-up. He seemed unfazed about all that and I realised that I didn’t even notice that he had left earlier.

I noticed that he was wearing different attire, he was wearing a black suit, properly unlike his uniform. He still looked as good as he did before but even more so. I blushed and chose not to say anything. “Ready to leave now?” he asked.

I nodded and we started to walk to clothes shops and he made me try on expensive, pretty and very abnormal clothing… Well it was abnormal to me! (Eg. Dresses above the knee height…I never wear any clothes like dresses above the knee! O_O) 

I insisted for him to not buy me so many clothes but he bought nearly everyone that I tried on. I ended up wearing a pink dress, which was poofy at the bottom and had a big black band around my waist with a black ribbon on the side of it. I wore some black heels to compliment the dress. It was simple but I really liked it.

We finished shopping after I pestered Kyuhyun enough, saying that it was enough because I could’ve used all that money to send me back to school! I was really thankful but what I was most thankful for was being able to spend time with him.

“Kamsahamnida Kyuhyun oppa for everything!” I exclaimed happily and resisted the urge to hug him.

He looked away distantly and said, “Don’t thank me so soon…”

I wondered what he meant by that and I didn’t know how much it would hurt later on…

He said that we were to go somewhere else after this so we got into the car that took me here. We sat at the back together and it was really awkward since it was quiet.

“So… Seohyun, why don’t you like being called Seo Joohyun?” He asked me.

I felt myself getting teary just because of the name but I held back my tears since I didn’t want to ruin the things Kyuhyun bought for me… Wait… I never told him that name!  “My mother used to call me that…” I replied softly, trying to stay strong.

“Why doesn’t she call you that anymore?” he asked, unknowing of everything.

“Well… she passed away recently and it that name just reminds me of her…” I answered.

“Oh… I’m sorry for your loss…” he said softly.

After a moment of an awkward silence, I asked him bluntly without thinking, “By the way… how do you know that name?”

He looked away and his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. Another awkward silence…

We didn’t talk for the rest of the way but we soon arrived he got out of the car and was about to open the door when he opened it for me. “Kamsahamnida Kyuhyun oppa!” I said, wondering what to call him. Was he an oppa to me? I didn’t know. I got out of the car and he took my hand.

I blushed and my heart started beating faster as he did that action. “You don’t need to call me oppa… makes me feel older,” he said and looked away. “Act as though you’re my girlfriend.”

“Wh-What! Girlfriend? I just met you!” I said shyly but I didn’t hate his words. …I wondered why he emphasised on the act before… It felt like something bad was to come in the future…

“Mhmm… Just follow my lead… and can please turn around for a second?” he said.

I nodded, curious to what he was going to do.

It felt something cold being put around my neck. “I thought it would suit your clothes and my girlfriend deserves to be pampered,” he said and smirked, feeling proud of himself when I turned around to look at him.

I looked to see a diamond necklace around my neck. It was really pretty and it definitely did not suit me!

“You didn’t have to… it looks so expensive…” I said wondering how many years of school that could’ve taken me through.

“Hyunnie… don’t worry about it. This is payment for what I’m asking you to do anyway. Once our business is finished you don’t have to see me again…” he said and he somehow looked… sad about what he said at the end.

What business? Never see him again? I didn’t want that! I thought as I felt the necklace on my neck. I would’ve traded all these things he had bought for me just to see him once again…