Chapter 24 - The Finale

Why I Like You

The very person I was trying to forget was here in front of my eyes all along. The waiter was Kyuhyun and I did not know.

My eyes began to tear as I began to realise Kyuhyun was here for me. He took my hand and we ran outside of the restaurant, together.

Yonghwa stared in shock as he saw this. He didn’t even bother running after us.

 

“Kyu-“ I said as I tried to hold back my tears and keep up with him.

“Shh, I’ll explain everything to you once we get far enough from Yonghwa…” he said in a voice I could barely hear but it was very clear once I had processed his words.

We reached a park soon and we sat on the swings, not tired at all from running since we were together at last.

“Seohyun… Wait, Joohyun…” he said softly as he stared at the night sky.

“I missed you Kyu…” I said as I stared at him intently. All of the feelings I had been keeping within me for the past month could not be explained but all I needed was him to be by my side.

“I’m so sorry Joohyun…” he said as he looked me in the eyes with sorrow.

I would’ve forgiven him for leaving me but his eyes said that there was something else that he had kept hidden inside of him.

“I didn’t mean to… I’d never meant to take her life…” he then continued.

“Take her life? What are you talking about?” I asked. I could tell he was having a hard time with this and somehow I wished he never started talking.

He took a deep breath and sighed. “Hate me or leave me if you want… But I will tell you the whole truth.”

I stayed silent as I stared at him. Even if I wanted to hate him, my love for him overcame any hate.

“I used to be in a gang… Super Junior,” he said as he chuckled weakly, “Yeah, silly name for a gang, right? Well… we were against a gang called SHINee and they pulled out a knife on me. Your mother jumped in front of me and…”

I stood up to hug him. “It wasn’t your fault… I understand…” I cried out.

He didn’t hug me back and instead continued to say, “She told me to tell you that she will always love you and that I should take care of you for her… Instead I feel like I’m hurting you even more… First with the ‘girlfriend’ thing and then Yonghwa issue.”

I shook my head. “I’m glad she saved someone amazing… I’m sure she’s happy that you’re by my side now!”

“I hope so…” he said as he said as he held me close to him. I could smell the scent of him, a smell of home and belonging.

“After all, she did ask you to take care of me and you’re doing that right now,” I said as I laughed softly.

We sat together like this for around 5 minutes in silence, glad that we were able to be together right now.

“I'm really sorry…” he uttered softly once again to break the silence.

“As long as you’re by my side now, everything will be okay,” I assured as I buried myself into his warmth.

He pulled me away slightly to look into my eyes. “I promise I will never leave your side again…” he said seriously before he went in to kiss me softly on the lips.

 

- Two Year Later -

A beautiful bride walked down the aisle as the groom stared at the beauty in wonder. They couldn’t keep their eyes off each other the whole time the priest spoke.

They followed what the priest told them to repeat and when the bride uttered these two words, “I do,” they kissed immediately before the priest even told them too.

The audience all went “Aww~” and so did Kyuhyun and I.

Everyone had been expecting Minho and Yoona to get married soon and we were both extremely happy for them.

We headed outside of the church when the ceremony ended. Yoona was about to throw the bouquet but I was going to let the others catch it. I went to stand next to Kyuhyun but he nudged me to move back to where all the other girls were to catch the bouquet.

“I’m going to throw it in 3, 2, 1” she said cheerfully as she faced her back towards us.

Surprisingly, the bouquet landed into my arms without me even trying.I looked at the bouquet and then at Kyuhyun. Yoona walked up to me and whispered into my ear, “It’s just about time that I will attend you and Kyuhyun’s wedding too~” she teased and giggled.

I blushed, turned around to hit Yoona playfully and to tell her to stop teasing me but by the time I did, she was already rushing off to Minho and towards their limo. I laughed and walked back towards Kyuhyun, showing him the bouquet.

I could tell that his face was turning red when he saw the bouquet. But before I reached him, someone put their arm around me and said jokingly, “Does that mean we’re going to get married soon?”

“Yah~ you scared me Yong oppa!” I said as I punched his arm jokingly.

He laughed, held his arms up playfully, to defend himself from any future attacks from the female ahead of him, before he exclaimed, “Sorry I couldn’t help it!”

Kyuhyun took my hand and pulled me back toward him. “Yah~ she’s my lady” he said as he poking his tongue playfully at Yonghwa, allowing his lips to turn downwards into a frown.

Yonghwa nodded and uttered in defeat, “Okay okay! ...I’ll leave you two lovebirds to it then~” he then continued and walked off to his group of friends.

A week after the incident at the restaurant, he came to apologise to the both of us for causing all the misery he created and he explained the terms of the agreement he made with Kyuhyun. He coolly let me go be happy with Kyuhyun and we had stayed childhood friends. I was actually surprised with how calm and composed he was on the day even though I knew he was unwilling inside. Although he didn’t tell me, I knew he had found someone else recently because he was more cheerful than usual.  

 

“Kyuhyu-“ I said before Jessica cut me off as she came along, hand-in-hand with an unfamiliar boy who was loosening his tie.

She whispered to him something and I was guessing it was for him to act more proper.

“Ah Sica~ You finally got back together with Jay?” Kyuhyun exclaimed happily.

She blushed and nodded. Jay waved at us and said, “Annyong!”

I smiled at them and said, “Ah~ You two look really cute together!”

Jessica mumbled shyly, “Thank you, Cho Kyuhyun… truly.”

Kyuhyun ruffled her hair playfully and smiled at Jessica. “I’m glad you found happiness!”

She swatted his hand and said cheerfully, “Aish~! I don’t need you to tell me what I already know! Let's go, Jay!”

He nodded and they walked off. They seemed really happy together and I somehow wished for my relationship with Kyuhyun to always stay like that too.

 

We were finally alone together in peace and silence. We wrapped our arms around each other, leaning our foreheads on each other’s.  

“Kyuhyun…” I then continued to say from earlier. “Even though I caught the bouquet earlier, don’t feel pressured that we should get married soon. This wasn't the reason why I started liking you~ My whole life now belongs to you and as long as I know that I’m with you, that’s enough for me…”

He kissed me lightly on the forehead before he answered me, “What if it’s not enough for me?”

He unwrapped his arms around me and reached into his pocket, pulling out a case which held a simple 1.5 carat, diamond ring. He went on his knees and tears of happiness began to form.

“Will you marry me, Seo Joohyun?” he asked, hopefully.

I stared at him in disbelief and overwhelming happiness for a moment.

“Of course I will!” I exclaimed as I hugged him, making him fall over.

He laughed and looked me in the eyes, “Saranghae Seohyun…”

“Nado saranghae…” I said as I held his hand, staring deeply into his eyes as well.

 

Even though we had already been through so many obstacles and hardshops together, this day only marked the beginning of our new life together as one.

 

[[This is the last chapter of Why I Like You! I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Thank you for supporting my fic and sticking by it /eventhoughialwaystookagestoupdate! Happy one year anniversary my boo~ I love you so much! <3]]