Chapter 1

Why I Like You

“Aigoo~” I let out a sigh as I looked out of the shop window, at the big school, looming over my father’s small restaurant.

There were no customers in at the moment so I wiped the tables clean, wishing my life was easier. I have always been a talented student with my studies, especially musically, though that was not enough to get into a good school. 

My family was poor, since there was only my dad and I, running a small restaurant, in the shadow of the mighty Chunhwa High School. Only the best students in Korea were allowed to attend there – and the ones with rich, influential parents.

I was not so lucky and fortunate. Being the only child, I had to quit my previous school because my mother, who was supporting the family, had recently passed away.

It was a sad time for the both me and my appa, and after that, we decided to stick together, though my appa always tells me to go back to school.

He had always had wild dreams, like sending me to the school next door once the restaurant had bloomed in sales.

I, Seo Joo Hyun, otherwise known as Seohyun by my friends had always encouraged his dreams, though I wouldn’t go even if he had the money. I only wanted the best for my Appa’s life.

Being a normal 17 year old, not going to school, and having to help out my dad’s shop, I was satisfied with life. Wait, maybe I was lying about being normal and… I wasn’t really satisfied with my life.

I’ve always wanted to see things, differently, use my talents differently. But I’ve put those dreams away in order to take care of my appa. When my mother passed away, I had always thought to myself that if my appa was happy, I would be happy as well…

-Ring ring- The bells on the restaurant door ringed as a handsome boy in the uniform from the school next door and 3 other tough looking men entered.

The boy stood out from the rest of them… he was sort of… cute. His uniform looked like it was put on clumsily; his tie was not done up, his shirt was untucked and his sleeves were rolled up, along with his blazer on.

I blushed at the thought and then I tried to get rid of those thoughts so that I could give them a seat. I went to them quickly and gave them a seat against the wall, on the left side of the restaurant.

The boy sat down lazily on the inside and others sat down on the other side.

I served them tea, trying not to stare at the boy. I then excused myself, to tell my Appa that customers had come.

Not long after I had left I heard the man in the middle shout, “YAH! CHO KYUHYUN!” I shuddered at the sudden scream. “Our boss told us that you’ve been giving him trouble lately,” I heard another say since I couldn’t help but overhear, due to how loud they were. I went out to see what had happened from the kitchen door, though I could only see the boy.

The boy, or as the men called him, Kyuhyun just smirked at them.

It made me shiver, though it did make him look more handsome. While I was lost in my thoughts, a loud bang came from their table.

I went over to their table to ask if everything was okay but before I could ask, I saw the 3 men on the ground, squirming in pain.

He smiled at me and said, “Oh, don’t mind them; I’ll clean it up later. Oh and can you get me a bowl of pork chops with rice.”

I nodded, shocked at the guys on the floor. I went back to the kitchen to give the order to my Appa, still trying to process what had happened.

I gave two more customers seats as Kyuhyun’s order was being made. He left the bodies there, which made the other customers stare.

I went up to him and tried to ask him kindly, “Umm… excuse me… Kyuhyun ssi, are you going to move them soon? Because I think the customers are uncomfortable at the moment.

He looked up at me and waved it off. “Wait… how do you know my na- Oh they’ll be gone soon,” he said to me like it was normal. He didn’t finish saying what he first said as he remembered that the men shouted his name.

His phone ringed and I went back to get his food when I heard a -ding- from the kitchen. When I had walked back out, the bodies disappeared and so did the other customers.

He said, “Bye,” on the phone and put his phone in his pocket and I was walking to his table with the food. I put the plate on the table and said to him, “Enjoy the food~” But as I was walking away, he grabbed my arm.

I blushed since no boy has ever done anything like that to me. “You’ll do,” he said as he scanned me from the head to the toes. “But we’ll need to do a lot of work. What’s your name?” What? I thought.

A lot of work…? Wait what? I didn’t think I looked that bad today, other than having my hair in a bun, a white blouse with long sleeves, tucked into my grey skirt that was a bit longer that my knee level… maybe a bit was an understatement and it was near my ankles. But I didn’t like to show my legs. I also had a red apron tied around my waist. And did I forget to mention my white, thick rimmed glasses? Yeah, that was normal for me but I think it quite suited my style and it was comfortable.

I was still shocked from his when he suddenly grabbed my arm but I answered him slowly, “Seo… Seohyun” I didn’t think it would be safe to give him my real name… I didn’t really like my real name anyway, since only my parents called me that… and it reminded me of my mother.

He smiled and said, “Nice to meet you, Seohyun. You’re going to be my girlfriend for a day.”