The Audition

No way! I am straight...right?

Yoseob was nervously cracking his knuckles as he waited for his and Hyunseung’s turn for the auditions. They were sitting outside of the studio, and screeching voices could be heard from the inside.

 

“Hmm, yeah, thanks, Jiyong hyung,”

 

  Hyunseung flipped shut his phone and sighed. He turned to Yoseob, who was staring at a girl who had just finished her audition, and was holding her head in her hands and rushing out of the studio, wailing.

 

“Jiyong hyung wished us good luck, he said that the manager may look scary, but he isn’t all that bad,” he said.

 

“But isn’t the person judging us the manager’s son? The manager died a few months ago didn’t he?” Yoseob pointed out, remembering the headlines in the newspapers 4 months ago.

 

“Oh, right…” Hyunseung said, scratching his head.

 

   Yoseob and Hyunseung were auditioning for Cube Entertainment, hoping to get in and make it big in the music industry like groups like Big Bang and SHINee, who were also under Cube. They had heard that the selection of trainees had been so strict that only 7 people managed to make it into the company last year. It had been Yoseob’s dream to debut as a singer, and that he could get into Cube with Hyunseung. Jiyong, or more commonly known as G-Dragon by people nowadays, was their childhood friend, and had debuted as a rapper and leader of Big Bang, a group gaining fast popularity now.

 

  But of course, everyone knew Jiyong was born to be a singer. His passion for singing and rapping could put most artists to shame and his natural talent in songwriting made it all the better. he was a definite ‘in’ when he auditioned for Cube a few years back.

 

  Yoseob clenched his fists together worriedly, hoping that he wouldn’t mess up in the audition later on. His concentration was broken by the sudden loud screams from the end of the hallway.

 

“OMG, its him!”

“He is so handsome! Ahh!”

“Can I get an autograph?”

“Kikwang oppa!”

 

Yoseob’s eyes doubled in size as he saw the person walking towards them, a few hundred fans at his back. He looked at Hyunseung and saw the same shocked expression on his face.

 

  “Oh my god, isn’t that AJ?” Yoseob couldn’t believe his eyes. The top star, AJ, was walking towards them. He saw Yoseob and Hyunseung and winked at them before continuing his way into the studio that held the auditions.

 

  Yoseob felt his face go scarlet when AJ had winked at him. He looked at Hyunseung, and laughed when he saw that Hyunseung had his burning face in his hands.

 

  “ AJ just walked past and I didn’t even get his autograph...” Hyunseung knocked his knuckles against his head, refusing to believe himself. Yoseob patted his friend. Hyunseung was a huge fan of AJ, and he was startled when Hyunseung suddenly grabbed him.

 

“but did you see that Yoseob? He winked at me! Winked! I think I can die happy now…” Yoseob laughed, “ I wonder why a huge star is here though, doesn’t he have an album coming up?”

 

  Hyunseung smiled, “who cares? Yoseob, he is in the audition room and that means, we will probably get to see him later on!” Hyunseung flushed at the thought and reached into his bag where he kept an autograph book, the one he always brought around with him in case he saw idols or stars in the streets. Yoseob laughed at his cute friend and leaned back into his seat, slightly relaxed.

 

-In the audition room-

 Doojoon grinned as he looked at the person who had just come in. “What’s up man!”

 

Kikwang said as he gave his cute eye smile to his boss.

 

“Kind of guessed what happened when I heard the screams outside,” Doojoon said as he high-fived his fellow superstar.

 

  “But speaking of which…” Doojoon dropped his friendly demeanor. “Why aren’t you in the recording studio, working on your new album?”

 

  Kikwang sweatdropped. He was hoping the Director wouldn’t notice. “Oh come on hyung~,” he pouted,

 

“it’s my lunch break, and it wouldn’t hurt to have your favourite star sit in for the auditions wouldn’t it?”

 

Doojoon smacked Kikwang’s head playfully with his clipboard. “Since when were you my favourite star? Aish…” Kikwang laughed and sat on the empty chair next to Doojoon. Doojoon acted annoyed but in truth he was relieved that the funny idiot had came. He was dying of boredom listening to the wannabes screech their heart out. “So, who’s next?” Kikwang asked, eyeing the clipboard in Doojoon’s hands.

 

 “It’s a pair who signed up together, hmm, Yang Yoseob and Jang Hyunseung…they have got the looks…” Doojoon said, looking at their profile pictures,

 

“but I am not expecting much, the whole bunch of people who auditioned this morning didn’t make it.” Doojoon sighed. When were they going to find good enough talent?

 

“Oh! I saw them outside just now, they were cuter in person!” Kikwang giggled as he remembered their shocked faces when he winked at them. Doojoon ignored Kikwang’s side comment and motioned to the assistant standing at the door to ask the boys to come in. she walked out and back in with the nervous looking pair.

 

Hyunseung saw Kikwang and went red, gripping his hands together tightly. The only thing he could think of now was getting his autograph. Yoseob stared at Doojoon. “Wow, he is really handsome…” he thought as he looked at Doojoon’s perfectly chiseled face and the way his expensive suit hugged his toned body. When Doojoon looked at Yoseob, he could feel butterflies fluttering nervously in his stomach.

 

Doojoon looked at the both of them skeptically, “Yang Yoseob?” “Me-e…” Yoseob stammered, raising up his hand meekly. Doojoon nodded and jotted notes on his clipboard, not noticing the way Yoseob had squeaked and blushed when he called out his name.

 

“You may start, and as for Hyunseung, you may want to sit over there,” he said, using his pen to motion to the seats at the side of the room. Hyunseung hurried to sit as Yoseob took out a CD from his bag and inserted it into the boombox he had brought along. “Hmm…” Yoseob stood in front of the mike in the middle of the room and started to introduce himself, “My name is Yang Yoseob and… I am 20 years old this year-”

 

  “Really? I thought you were around 17 years old!” Kikwang blurted, surprised. Doojoon silenced him with a glare and Kikwang smiled apologetically.

 

  Yoseob smiled and continued, “I am going to present a song and a dance, and the song I am going to be singing is Big Bang’s ‘Tonight’…” he bent down to click the ‘start’ button on the boombox.

 

“Hwaiting~” Hyunseung whispered as he looked at his friend.

 

The music came on and Yoseob’s nervousness seemed to disappear. A serious look slid in to replace Yoseob’s usual timid and meek look, and Yoseob confidently took the mike and started to sing.

  “Tonight…such a beautiful night,

 sing with me now, 2011!!

follow me
Big bang, big bang, we're back again one more time say
No way, no way, neomu swipge tto nami dwae
Big bang big bang don't stop let's play
Ok ok go go go”


  Yoseob threw in a few dance moves here and there and rapped and sang all the members parts perfectly. Kikwang watched, dazed, and looked at Doojoon, who didn’t seem too impressed…so far.

 

The music ended and Yoseob stood, waiting for the second piece of music to come on. Doojoon sat up straight as he watched Yoseob dance to the beat of the song and the lyrics. He had never heard a song like this before…

 

  “I can’t hold my breath breath breath

Sigani galsurok jeomjeom jinagalsurok oh nan deo

I can't hold my breath breath breath
I can't hold my breath breath breath”

 

The music finally stopped and Yoseob froze in his last position, panting.

 

There was applause and Yoseob looked up to see Kikwang giving him a one-man standing ovation. Yoseob blushed and stood with his hands together again, “thank you,”

 

Doojoon pulled Kikwang back to his seat and looked intensely at Yoseob, causing the poor boy to blush even more. “I have never heard of the second song…did you write it?”

 

Yoseob gave a small smile and nodded.

Doojoon grinned. He motioned for Yoseob to sit at the side and for Hyunseung to proceed with his audition.

 

-Outside the studio-

“Hey, wanna go check out this year’s auditions?” Dongwoon said as he looked at the hallway which was filled with audition-ees. Junhyung shrugged, implying that he was okay with anything. Junhyung glanced at the hallway filled with star-wannabes, who were waiting for their turn to showcase their talent. That is…if they had any.

 

Junhyung and Dongwoon walked to the studio where the auditions were held. They were done with that day’s training anyway. Dongwoon peeped through the transparent glass in the door and gasped, “Oh my god!! Junhyung, its AJ!!!”

 

  Junhyung rolled his eyes at his friend. Dongwoon, like Hyunseung, was a fan boy. A HUGE one, one which apparently had a gay crush on the star.

 

“Come on. Let me see,” Junhyung said as he gently nudged his friend out of the way to see what was going on inside the room. A boy was break dancing on the floor, with a lot of cool and acrobatic moves that seemed to blow Kikwang away, judging from the expression on his face. Doojoon seemed to smile a bit as he watched the boy dance. Junhyung whistled as he saw the boy do a flip without hands and landed with a semi split. That was a move Junhyung had been practicing for months now but had never really managed to get it right. The routine ended and the boy stood back up, panting. Junhyung got a good look at the boy’s face. He had large, doe like eyes and small cute lips, and his face was pink and flushed from dancing just now.

 

  Junhyung was straight, but maybe hanging out too much with his gay friend was turning him otherwise. His heart started to hump faster as he looked at the boy, and the once-dead butterflies in his stomach seemed to come back to life.

 

“Junhyung…” Junhyung snapped his head back at his friend, annoyed at the disturbance.

 

“Your face is really, really red, are you okay?” Junhyung blushed even redder and covered his face self-consciously.

 

“Yeah, I think I need to go back to the dorm and rest…” he said as he brisk walked away from the room.

 

“Wait up!” Dongwoon called as he chased after his friend, confused at why the usual cool and collected Junhyung was acting like this.

 

Doojoon stared at the two boys for a while before he broke into a smile. “Well, usually there is a round 2 for the auditions, but…”

 

“You two won’t seem to need it!” Kikwang said as he stood up and clapped cheerily, “Congratulations and Welcome to Cube!”

 

Hyunseung and Yoseob’s jaws dropped. They looked at each other, not daring to believe the news.

 

It gets better, I swear xD