Stupid the Cat

Family? You & Me

 

"The loof. The loof. The loof is on Fiuh." 
 
Himchan's voice rung through the speakers in my laptop.
 
No one was home, since it's a weekend and the maids were out.
It's weird how weekends are when my parents are super busy and I'm here like "WE HURRICANE" 
 
My schedule was completely free today- 
What a lovely day. 
Maybe I should stroll outside and let the paparazzis take picture of me, just to let the public know that I'm alive.
Maybe I should go do something-
 
All this money. 
All this fame. 
And I'm watching a B.A.P music video. 
 
A forbidden idea popped into my head, and I found myself  typing in "Naver.com" (korean google lol) and looking for voluntary animal events.
 
It's freaking Seoul city- 
There has to be at least 5 events that I can attend to help the needy animals.
 
Father opposed to my charity events, so I was not to be related with any of the "cheap labor" as he called it, but I secretely snuck out once or twice. 
It's not like I'm forever banned from doing something good for once in my miserable life. 
 
"Ah-"
I happily cheered as the event I loved to participate was available and looking for volunteers. 
The president of this charity group is one of the maid's daughters- I had become quick friends with over my childhood days, and she helps me participate in public events secretely once in a while.
 
President of the Animal Angels Club- Jin Seorin.
 
I lit up with anticipation as I scrolled down my phone contacts. 
I tapped her number and waited as the phone rang. 
 
"Minhee-yah! *Arf* How are you? *Woof*" Seorin unnie answered. 
 
"Busy much? I can help. Where are you?" I giggled, hearing the lovely sounds of the happy animals. 
 
"The usual place- your favorite park,Jung Minhee." She laughed.
 
"I'll be right there!" I quickly replied, and hung up, rushing to my closet. 
 
It's been a while since I helped out the doggies and kitties.
I used to follow my Umma there but now she's too busy- 
Might as do it by myself. 
I'm 16 now. I can take care of myself. 
 
I slipped into a casual black leggings and cotton spandex shorts, throwing a big T-shirt over a black undershirt. 
I'll probably get wet just by touching one of the doggies so opaque and casual is a requirement. 
I tied my hair in a high ponytail and slapped a cap on top, hiding my identity like usual. 
I sighed-
I'll always have to cover my public image for the good of everyone. 
 
I grabbed my purse and headed out, thankful that not a single maid was on sight.
I left a note on Jihye's room, saying where I was and when I might be back. 
She'll worry to death if I don't tell her where I was.
 
I skipped down to the garage and hopped into my car, ready to see my lovely angels.
Animals were the only things that won't judge me by rules. 
They would listen to me and my hand, comfort me in a way that no one ever had, and it's just me and them, understanding each other through something more than just fake reputations set up by misconceptions of society.
 
Many of the animals there are brave warriors that fought against animal abuse, starvation, dehydration, blindness,missing legs, and so much more. 
They teach me a lesson that no matter how tough life might me, you can always smile and be happy. 
They would wag their tails and purr in happiness no matter how painful a memory they have. 
 
I was now nearing the park, and the sight of water tubs and soggy dogs made me squeal in joy. 
I got out of my car and ran to the site, grabbing Seorin unnie. 
"UNNIE!!" I squealed, happy to see her.
 
"Minhee-yah! I have dog fur on me!" She protested, her hands covered with foam. 
 
"Where are all the dry towels?" One of the volunteers asked, and Seorin unnie had to go help her. 
 
"Hey there pretty! Getting washed up today?" I giggled at a huge Dalmatian that was soaking wet and shivering in a water tub filled with bubbles and black and white fur. 
I grabbed a pair of rubber gloves on a desk nearby and started rinsing the dog, feeling my heart drop when I saw his ripped and scarred  ear.
 
Humans are so cruel- 
And even when I'm trying my hardest to save these poor lovelies, more and more people find ways to harm them. 
It's not like we're much better than them. 
Like I said- animals are the closest friends I never had. 
 
Rubbing down all the leftover foam, the Dalmatian stayed calm and seemed to grin, the summer sunlight glinting off his shiny fur. 
"Somebody's happy today~" I laughed, rubbing the dog's sweet spot behind his good ear. 
 
A volunteer came over and took it from there, and I explored more of the brave little creatures- 
 
And my eyes stopped on one.
 
....... HOLY 
 
BABO?!?!?!  
 
I literally ran over to the animal crate and stared wide-eyed at the cat. 
Orange fur- stripes- big eyes- 
Stupid looks- cute whiskers- 
IT'S FREAKING BABO THE CAT. 
 
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! 
Isn't he supposed to be dead by now?!
What happened?! 
Like WHAT?!
 
I opened the crate, held the calm cat, and walked over to Seorin unnie. 
 
"Unnie- How old is this cat?" I asked nervously.
 
"Oh him- he's about 10 to 11 years old. He's only got a few more years left on him." Seorin unnie sighed, wiping her soggy hands on a towel. 
 
"C..can I take him?" I bit my lip, softly rubbing Babo's neck- 
His special place that he liked besides the back of his ears.
 
"If it won't depress you, I guess there's no reason to say no. He's only got few years Minhee- are you sure?" She doubted, worrying that I'll just be taking a bundle of sadness- 
But it's so, SO much more. 
 
He's a treasure from the past. 
 
"All right. You can take him. His papers are by his crate and please be careful." Seorin unnie patted my back, and I nodded. 
 
"I'll get going now. Gomaweo unnie." I thanked, my heart beating quickly.
 
"No, Thank you Minhee- for giving him a new life before passing away. He looks like he had a rough past." Seorin unnie nudged me supportively, and I took Babo's papers, crate, and the cat himself to my car. 
 
Holding the old cat, I murmured, "What happened to you sweetie?" 
Something's wrong- 
 
Daehyun oppa loved this cat more than anything. 
 
What in the world happened? 
 
 
____ Youngjae's POV____
 
* ring ring* 
 
"Yeobosaeyo?" I picked up-
Dance practice went by quick.
 
"Youngjae oppa. Where are you?" 
 
My eyes lit up at her voice.
"Minhee?" I asked, confused.
 
"Yeah. Are you with Daehyun op- Ani, Daehyun-ssi?" She asked in a cursory manner- 
Did something happen? 
 
"Daehyun? Yeah- he's right here with me." I glanced at my friend, who was now looking back at me in curiosity at the mention of his name. 
 
"What?" Daehyun mouthed, coming closer.
 
I shook my head. 
"Why?" I asked, sounding more bitter than I intended to. 
 
"It's an emergency." She blurted, obviously disturbed. 
 
So I ended giving her the address to the TS company, and the members left one by one. 
 
"Daehyun." I grabbed Daehyun's shoulder, stopping him. 
 
"Uh?" He asked, turning around.
 
"You should stay a bit later. Your choreography was a bit off today.the schedule's free today- practice. Arasso?" I firmly suggested, needing him to stay here. 
 
"Ah... Arasso." He nodded, not really catching my authorative tone. 
 
I nodded, and turned to find a perfect hiding spot-
 
"Aren't you leaving Youngjae-hyung?" Jongup asked, swinging a towel over his neck.
 
"Yeah. I'll come later- go ahead without me." I replied, and ran to the locker room.
 
 
____ Daehyun's POV___
 
I wasn't that bad , right?
Why is Youngjae suddenly judging me?
But I do need to work more on the choreography with our Comeback stage coming up- 
So I just nodded, knowing I have nothing better to do. 
 
"Badman" Blasted through the speakers, and my muscles moved fluently to the well-memorized song. 
Powerful as a hurricane,
y as a criminal- 
Smooth as a cup of coffee..
 
I stood stably and hit the high notes, careful to not push myself too far and create a harsh, coarse sound. 
I was too busy dancing and singing, that I didn't recognize a figure coming in the building.
Probably one of the back dancers who forgot their stuff- 
The figure just stood there, her cap hiding her face. 
 
And I froze at the sight of orange fluff in her arms. 
 
It... It's not possible..... 
 
 
I ran to the figure, almost tackling the unidentified girl. 
"Who are you?!"
I dangerously asked, grabbing her arms. 
She looked up in fear, and I instantly regretted my actions- 
Minhee. 
 
"Minhee-yah..." I whispered, dropping my grasp on her arms. 
 
"Y-your c... cat." She spoke in fear, scared I might attack her again. 
She the familiar animal in her arms, her head hanging down to avoid any contact. 
 
My heart crumbled a bit at seeing her being scared of me like other people usually were a long time ago, but it hurts more that she has a reason to be scared of me without my past financial background and well-known thuggish personality- 
I've changed....
But she won't know. 
 
"I..I found Babo..." She mumbled, slowly reaching out the cat to me.
 
I softly laughed- 
How ironic.
"He left when you did you know. You should keep him. Nobody liked me back then anyways. "
I eyed the little devil in her arms as it casually its paws.
 
She looked at me with those eyes- 
The hurt, sympathetic, pitying eyes she glanced at me with as she pushed me inside the closet. 
A look of panic that made my heart squeeze in pain for causing such an emotion to come from another. 
 
"C...can I keep him?" She asked carefully, her wide eyes making my heart skip a bit- 
She was always that cute dongsaeng. 
And as much as I like to say she isn't and never was,  she is adorable. 
 
"The cat's all yours. Wasn't mine in the first place."
 I shrugged bitterly, looking down at my ex-cat. He seemed happy in Minhee's arms. 
That little backstabber. 
 
"O..okay." She mumbled and paused a bit, contemplating on how to act appropriately. 
"I'll be going now, Daehyun-ssi." 
She bit her lip- 
We are still both edgy with that strange word. 
Ssi. 
A bitter taste danced in my tongue, and a surge of sad anger shot up through my throat. 
 
She was turning around with Babo in her arms, when I called out, 
"Minhee-yah." 
 
She turned around, trying to hide the fact that she was relieved that I called her what I always used to. 
"Can you call me by my name again?" I asked without thinking, and didn't regret it.
Just my name... 
Just the way to she used to call out with that pretty smile I'd think about...
 
"Daehyun..." She gulped down, sighing in patient tolerance.
"Oppa." She finished, holding Babo closer to her heart. 
 
*And that's all I needed* "Gomaweo Minhee." I whispered, letting her bow and walk away. 
 
Just like seeing her through the crack of the broken closet door, I'm now staring at her back once again as she leaves through the dance studio's polished, wooden doors.
How time changed us- 
How it twisted us inside out, 
It's sickening, really. 
 
 
___ Youngjae's POV___
 
This is bad. 
It's exactly how I didn't want things to be. 
 
Minhee left, and Daehyun was now getting his things to go to the dorm. 
The unbelievable conversation rung again in my ears, and I could only ask one thing : 
 
W..what are they to each other? 
 
....How will I be able to get closer to her without being noticed? 
 
 
 
 
 
_____ Author's Note _____
 
Another Update ^^ 
i decided not to update anything long as usual, since I have a lot of the storyline to make up for. 
 
Happy Readinghhh <3 
I'll always love you all. 
My SubBunniesss and RabbitReaders <33
(Ew what the hell with these random finger-curling puke-hurling nicknames?! *insert virtual slap*)