Treasure Box

Family? You & Me

 

Text Message
 
From: Umma 
 
Minhee-yah, darling. 
Go to the address listed and pick up an envelope and a small package. 
There's a man named Mr.Park who will show you where everything is. 
Love you.
~~~~~~~~
 
I blinked at the screen, looking at the address. 
Maybe this is why I was in the States in the first place.
For business.
Of course.
 
I twirled a brush through my hair for the last time and sighed, looking at the full-body mirror reflecting an image of a sad girl. 
 
A sad, miserable, lonely girl who I definitely was foreign to. 
 
I grabbed my travel bag (http://imgur.com/Q3AaMEt), fixed my new outfit, (http://imgur.com/bwL2J1M), and headed out the room to meet Jihye and manager Kang at the breakfast lobby. 
 
As I swung the door, I accidentally, cerimoniously rammed into a chest. 
 
"aiiggoooo" I whined and rubbed my head, looking up to my giant wall.
 
"Oh Yongguk oppa!" 
I exclaimed, face brightening up like a girl in front of her favorite rapper. 
(No critisism towards Zelo though)
 
 
 
_____ Your POV_____
 
 
"Ah Minhee" 
Yongguk chuckled, the little heiress reminding him of a little wandering puppy, not a girl who caused a panic attack on an invincible vocal idol. 
 
"Where's the rest of the guys?" 
Minhee asked, looking around for Umma Himchan or Baby Zelo. 
 
"They're still sleeping. Youngjae and Daehyun should be coming sooner or later though" 
Youngguk spoke, slightly wondering what the mention of Daehyun's name will do to Minhee. 
 
As suspected, Minhee's expression faltered and broke into a heavy pout. 
But unexpectedly, her lower lip quivered like a baby, and she held back a childish tear. 
Like a big baby.
 
So much for being the National Heiress.
 
Because this Jung Minhee was acting like an elementary schooler in front of another grown adult right now.
 
Does she not hide her emotions? 
Yongguk wondered, quite taken a back by the innocence this easy society target was portraying. 
It was always hide or come out as an easy target for the media to tear apart- 
And if she acted like this all the time, Yongguk could only imagine how the society would take her in as one of South Korea's representatives of economy and aristocrat-image.
She'd be decived so much. 
 
But trying his best not to think about her background and duties, he cleared his throat and called for her attention.
"Minhee-yah?" 
Yongguk felt his tone go from formal to baby-ish, as if he was suddenly talking to a 9-year-old.
 
"H..huh?" 
Minhee stuttered, catching herself.
Aish she did it again. 
When she blanked out, she had a habit of acting like a spoiled baby- 
One of her major flaws. 
 
"Are you okay?" 
Yongguk sighed- 
He was asking this question too much recently. 
 
"Yeah.. I just.. I don't know.. I blanked out?" 
Minhee bit her lip nervously- 
It was as if she just exposed the fact that she's a bad kid in front of a teacher that liked her. 
 
"Yah-"
Yongguk patted Minhee's head.
"It's okay." 
He smiled his fatherly, gummy smile, bringing a bright one to Minhee's small lips. 
 
"Shall we go to breakfast together?" 
Yongguk held out his arm, and Minhee giddily took it. 
 
Meanwhile, only heartbeats reverberated through Daehyun's ears as the sound of the elevator descending relieved Daehyun of his hiding position. 
 
Minhee still had that flaw- 
He tought she'd grow out of that dangerous habit by now, but no.
It's only gotten worse. 
 
Her behavior is the reason Daehyun was so protective and responsible of her in their childhood days, but now it's like taking into a whole new level-
A business heiress acting like a vulnerable baby- 
Oh the erts that will try to take advantage of her innocence. 
 
"Yah what the are you doing on the wall?" 
Youngjae walked up, trying to fix his morning hair. 
 
"Nothing. Just nothing." 
Daehyun replied through his clenched teeth- 
But deep inside, he was all happy. 
Jumpy and giddy even. 
For that little side of Minhee was all his, and something special that reminded Daehyun that not everything was lost, and their friendship was indeed preserved well in their hearts for 10 long years. 
 
Helplessly smiling, Daehyun pressed the button for an elevator and waited, trying to stop himself from bursting out in a craze of joyful laughter. 
 
"Yah.. Jung Daehyun.. Are you bipolar?" 
Youngjae asked, rubbing sleep from his eyes. 
 
Daehyun literally had to bite his lips in order to not laugh out like a maniac. 
 
"Uh.. Daehyun oppa... Are you bipolar?" 
Minhee's words from a small incindent rung through Daehyun's ears.
 
Oh the coincidence.
 
And though it worsened the pain in Daehyun's guilty heart, the small moments filled him up with a feeling he missed too much. 
The feeling only Minhee could make him feel.
Happiness and .. Something else. 
 
 
---------------------------------
 
"I'll be running an errand for my Mother today manager Kang. Apparently she has business in Detroit." 
Minhee announced, and everybody expected it. 
 
But Youngjae. 
 
Youngjae stopped mid-chew as the words "Mother", "errand", and "Detroit" shoved a hard punch down his throat. 
 
Youngjae coughed and swallowed his water, trying not to gain unnecessary attention. 
 
Minhee gave him an odd look and continued with her dainty breakfast, consisting of strawberry toast and light, low-fat yogurt.
 
Youngjae mentally discriminated against her elite behaviors and continued eating- 
What has her rich- Mother planned up her sleeves now? 
Especially in Detroit? 
 
Youngjae's stomach coiled oddly, and he gave the idea a thought. 
And his plan now requires disguise (as usual), stealth njnja moves, and a cold heart ready to face the ugly truth.
 
"Hyung, do I have any schedule today?" 
Youngjae asked his manager, who shook a casual 'no'.
After all, Youngjae is done with all his set filming for his solo scenes. 
 
"We start recording all-member shoots around 4 PM today. Go knock yourself out for 7 hours." 
Manager Kang informed as best as possible with a mouthful of grits. 
 
And nobody caught Youngjae's dark smirk sliding up his lips as his ingenious plan worked itself out in his head. 
 
There was a reason as to why he was called the "Brain" of B.A.P.
 
 
 
 
--------------------------------
 
 
 
 
____ Minhee's POV____ 
 
Around the corner... Around the corne- 
Ah hah! 
 
I grinned as a little shop came into view, reaching the destination of the address Umma sent me. 
The sign was painted on an old hangboard with beautiful Korean and English, and I knew right then that this is the place.
 
I carefully opened the door, peeking in as the smell of old wood and baked bread welcomed me. 
http://imgur.com/5efL3US
 
 
"Gyesaeyo*? (Is anybody here?)" 
I asked, shyly stepping my feet in front of the other, careful not to disturb the beautiful place- 
From the sun-light seeping window sills and antique decorations, I knew immediately that this place had a special, sentimenal value to whoever owned this place. 
As if there is unspoken memories hidden in every corner of the woven baskets and containers filled with elegant pastries and lovely bread. 
 
"May I help you?" 
A middle-aged man came out from the back kitchen, his presence dusted with flour and kindness. 
 
"Ah-Ahnhyunghaesaeyo..." 
I trailed my greeting, puzzled at the surprised expression the man gave me. 
He seemed to be in complete and total shock. 
"Uh... Ahjusshi? Are you okay?" 
I asked worriedly, and the man shook his head.
 
"Ah- yes. Sorry young lady, you just reminded me so much of my younger sister." 
He chuckled, leaning over the counter. 
 
"How may I help you?" 
He asked, wiping off his flour-covered hands on his apron. 
 
"My Mother has sent me to retrieve a form from you." 
I smiled, looking around the pretty place.
 
"And who may be the Mother of a lovely girl right here?"
The man heartily laughed, and I giggled along with him. 
 
"Oh I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Jung Minhee, the heiress of the Jung company of South Korea." I proudly introduced, placing a hand out.
 
The man's eyes widened, and he gently shook my hand. 
"I thought I'd never see the day that the Nation's Heiress would be standing in my bakery." 
The man joked, and I giggled lightly. 
 
"It's just Minhee- nothing else." 
I shrugged, and the man returned a chuckle. 
 
"Well, it's nice to meet you Minhee. I'm Yoo Ji Hoon, but call me Ahjusshi or Uncle Ji." 
The man warmly spoke, his eyes reminding me of home-
 
Not the scary mansion, but the home I had with Daehyun oppa in the classroom, and the home I had with Mrs. Yoo. 
I felt at home. 
 
"Well, Uncle Ji, I was told that Mother has been in contact with you over the phone?" 
I asked, eyeing a suspicious vase near the freshly baked bread display.
 
"Ah- yes. I have what she needs." 
His sad voice caught my attention back, and I tore my eyes from that weird moving vase by the window now.
Maybe there's a cat. 
 
Uncle Ji grabbed a familiar box, covered with delicate wrappings- 
As if the box was hidden and treasured for a long time. 
 
"Miss Minhee, I beg of you.... Please.. Please take care of this box. It holds the world's most valued treasures. This is my farewell to what must leave, but this is a hello to what the future beholds." 
His smile radiated a wise and knowledgable warmth, and I found myself nodding enthusiastically- 
 
I would protect this man's treasure of all harm. 
 
Then, I heard a stumble and a ring of a bell as something exited through the door. 
 
"Aish- it must be the stupid cat." 
Uncle Ji sighed, and returned back to his happy self. 
 
I laughed and looked down at the delicate antique box in my hands- 
Something... Just something made me want to cradle it like a baby. 
 
"Well, This is all that you have to take back home. Visit me again- I'll have chocolate strawberry pastries ready." 
Uncle Ji brushed his hands together, taking in a gulp of oxygen. 
 
"I'll come back someday."
I smiled, promising myself that I will.
I'd like to feel comfortable like this again-
Away from strange judgements.
 
Uncle Ji gave me a farewell nod and headed inside the kitchen once again, picking up where he left off by kneading the day's dough.
 
I walked away carefully, placing the delicate box inside my well-cushioned back pack, and grabbed the door handles. 
 
"Have a safe flight home Jinhee!" 
Uncle Ji called out from the kitchen.
 
"But my name's not Jinh-"
I stopped myself, knowing it was useless to explain over the noise of dough being pounded on to the wooden board. 
 
Such a silly ahjusshi. 
 
Smiling, I walked into the beautiful sunlight to head into the day. 
 
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ extended~~~~~~
 
I have 2 hours to kill before 4 PM. 
 
Jihye was in the hotel taking business calls, and the rest of B.A.P was uh...who knows where. 
 
But I was standing around, waiting for manager Kang to pick me up. 
 
I wandered around places, taking in the beauty of this free city- 
 
In South Korea, the streets are always jam-packed with pollution machine cars, and there were only rare patches of green to be seen, all suffocated by gray concrete. 
 
But here, it's so wild- 
So free
 
Land everywhere, open space, clear blue sky, and visible road crossings. 
 
It made me never want to go back "home." 
To that empty mansion.
 
*beep* *beep* 
 
I whirled around to the source of the noise, only to be facing the familiar car, ready to pick me up. 
 
I opened the passenger door, and hopped in to see Daehyun oppa's hands on the steering wheel. 
And no one else was in the car.
 
"Daehyun oppa! Whenil*?"
 (Why - What's happening? {usually we say "omo whenil" when someone does something out of the blue. Like me doing the dishes and mom comes in all like "OMO WHENIL" hahaha} )
 
I laughed, not even sure if he had a legitimate Driver's License in the state of Michigan. 
 
"Just picking you up as always." 
He laughed back, and I pouted. 
 
It was true- 
He always picked me up. 
Whether it was just to hang out or when I was scared of Dad's guards, Daehyun's soothing words would pick me up and get me running back on track better than before. 
 
"Whatever, sir Knight in Shining Armor." 
I rolled my eyes- 
The car supposedly fit all the descriptions of a "white horse".
 
"We got 2 hours to kill. Anything on your mind before I force you to come to the Cheesecake Factory with me?" 
He asked.
 
Woah he actually asked me if he could eat cheesecake.
In front of cheesecake, the existance of "manners" used to be completely absent from this man's mind- 
He must be greatly controlling himself. 
 
"You're actually asking my opinion on whether or not you should eat cheesecake?" 
I asked, simply amsued at the fact. 
 
"No. It was a rhetorical question. Cheesecake Factory it is!" 
Daehyun laughed like a little maniac, and I couldn't help but smile at the cute yet frightening sight. 
 
We sped on down the road with the guidance of Korean Siri, and reached the nearest Cheesecake Factory cafe. 
This idol star + cheescakes + driving = publicly unsafe driving.
Making a mental note, I trembled out of the car, having to calm myself down from the speed shock- 
I was too sure that he just broke all the road laws in Michigan. 
 
"Here I come my darlings~~~" 
Daehyun sung, and I shakily trailed behind him, following him inside the cafe. 
 
The time I reached the counter, Daehyun oppa was literally googly-eyed over at the display shelf, having the time of his life. 
 
"He must love cheesecakes"
The pretty blonde employee laughed from the counter, her godly hair flowing perfectly. 
 
I rolled my eyes and scoffed, 
"You have no idea." 
 
When Daehyun oppa finally came to the counter with his order, I went ahead and grabbed my debit card-
It's going to be too much trouble getting all the cash out with his cheesecake loving appetite. 
 
"Four cheesecakes for the lover boy and anything for you?" 
The girl asked, and I was slightly annoyed by the way her flirty smile shamelessly stayed on Daehyun as her eyes landed on me. 
 
"Nope." 
I replied out flat, sliding down my debit card.
 
I pretended not to care when Daehyun oppa leaned in with a smile, and whispered something into the blondie's ear- 
I thought he couldn't speak English? 
 
I forcefully grabbed the tray contaning four cheesecakes for the fatty, and huffed into a booth near the window, plopping my down and crossing my legs. 
 
After a few moments, Daehyun slid in the seat in front of my slightly annoyed self and grinned happily, as if he hadn't done a single wrong in the world. 
Of course he hasn't, it's just that he'd treat a stranger.. A pretty stranger as if he was treating me. 
 
I suddenly grew self conscious and smoothed out my hair- 
Why can't I be eye-catching? 
With an ugly pout, I regretted all those moments Umma invited me for gold face massages and yoga lessons. 
 
 
______ Daehyun's POV________
 
 
This is the hardest moment I ever had to endure, with grown-up Minhee in front of a tray of cheesecakes. 
My two favorite delicious things in the wor-
 
Snap out of it Daehyun. 
Cheesecakes love you. 
Don't cheat on cheesecakes. 
 
But even as I grabbed a fork, my eyes trailed up Minhee's perfectly tinted lips and to her beautiful almond eyes-
I silently thanked God that she wasn't a big fan of makeup.
Her natural beauty is what made her glow- 
Even more prettier than the strawberry glaze icing on this cheesecake. 
 
"Stop staring at her and eat." 
Minhee snapped, her cute little pout being more obivious. 
 
Wait what- 
Her?
 
"Staring at who?" 
I asked, dropping down the fork in my mouth. 
 
"Her" 
Minhee simply looked at the girl  behind the counter, her eyes giving me these weird looks. 
 
"Yah- what are you talking about?" 
I grinned- 
Is this what I think it is-? 
"Minhee-yah."
 
She looked up, her adorably pissed off facial expression only hyping me up. 
 
"Are you jealous?" 
I smiled, sending her over the edge. 
 
"O-of What?" 
She spluttered in denial, crossing her arms. 
 
"Of me staring at that pretty blonde girl over there." 
I played along,  pretending to like the employee. 
 
"She's really pretty..."
Minhee mumbled, suddenly twisting her hair and playing with the hem of her skirt, her pout automatically coming out. 
 
"And so are you." 
I softly spoke, catching Minhee's attention immediately. 
I suddenly felt like my heart was lying out there in the mercy of this little girl who probably thinks I'm crazy right now. 
 
"O..o..oppa.. What did you say?" 
She whispered back, making my stomach do flips in a weird way - 
What DID  I just say?
 
Trying to casually play it off, I leaned back and looked away. 
" You look pretty today."
I repeated, heartbeats skipping as Minhee's lips curved up a smile. 
 
"Prettier than her?" 
Minhee playfully raised an eyebrow, making me gulp saliva. 
 
"Uh..eung* (yeah)" 
I mumbled, clearing my throat. 
 
"Then why were you leaning in her ear REALLY close like this?" 
Minhee suddenly leaned over the table between us and placed her lips right next to my ears. 
 
She's innocent, but I'm not.
OOOHHH GOD.
 
My breath awkwardly hitched as the 17 year old girl leaned closer to my ear- 
 
"And you spoke to her like this" 
Minhee whined, dropping back down to her original seat.
 
"Y-yahh. What were you doing?" 
I exclaimed, too shocked by the minor's sudden actions.
 
"Asking you a question." 
She innocently replied, taking a fork and scooping up a portion of my cheesecake.
 
The sight of my cheesecakes going down someone else's throat brought me back to my senses, and I begrudgingly took a fork and stabbed a larger portion into my mouth. 
"I spoke to the girl because-" 
I mumbled mid-chew, wondering how to tell her all this today. 
 
"Can you turn on the song 'Coffee Shop' by B.A.P for me and my pretty date here?" 
I had whispered to the k-pop enthusiast employee. 
She smiled at the sweetness of the situation, and  
 
that was all I said.
 
Telling her the truth that she's pretty AND telling her we're on a date? 
To my selfish mind, it was perfectly fine but to Minhee's oblivious mind, it was violation of relationships. 
 
"Aniya (Nope). Nevermind." 
I smiled, shaking the thought off. 
I looked back at the plate of the half-eaten treats- 
 
Cheesecakes. 
The only thing I dared myself to be selfish about. 
 
And now even the heaven of cheesecakes wasn't enough for my hungry, hungry soul. 
 
I sat back uneasily as the song I requested came on, playing its fluent swaying notes as my voice started out the song. 
 
"Ahchim haetsal ae noon eul ttheu go 
handphone shi gael bo go"
 
At least the Daehyun in the song was having an easy time- 
I wasn't feeling so pure or soft right now.
 
 
 
 
_____ Your POV_____ 
 
 
 
The couple was enjoying the rest of their dessert while a dumbfounded singer was hiding himself behind a bush nearby, gaping at the scene he witnessed.
 
Daehyun 
Was 
Sharing
Cheesecakes. 
 
But in a easier term to explain, 
Daehyun was having the time of his life. 
 
Youngjae grit his teeth and sighed in frustration- 
Maybe this is for the best. 
Maybe when his best friend knows what Minhee actually looks like inside, he'll be too broken hearted to care about the little things they shared. 
 
But Youngjae was scared. 
Was he doing the right thing? 
 
The image of Minhee at the bakery earlier this evening flashed inside Youngjae's head-
 
Yes. 
He is definitely doing the right thing. 
 
With that, he soundlessly left the ground and hopped into his rented car, driving off from his day's work of inspecting the suspicious girl. 
 
 
 
 
 
{ A/N }
 
So! 
An extended chapter for all the missing updates ^^ 
forgive...me? 
 
it's been a while since I posted an Author's Note ^^; 
I just wanted to say Hi to all my new subbies, and Thank you for bearing with the random updates lol 
I have a notepad FILLED with Fanfics, but I never seem to have time to finish them completely. 
But to all who read this fic, I won't let you down :)
I promise to you and myself that this fic will be finished whether I love it or not-
Because I finish what I start. 
And I'm not writing this because anybody's forcing me (oh heck no look at the views- I'm just another author out there in a world of many wonderful authors) 
But just for the love of daydreaming. HAHA 
so you can count on me to daydream longer from now. 
Happphyyy Readddhhiinnghhh!!