Legal Documents

Family? You & Me

 

"Young miss, wake up. You have a big day today!"
 Jihye's voice called, shifting me in my sleep. 
 
"Five mor-more minuuuttees" I grumbled.
 
"But you have to go to the law department  center today, miss. To see Jung Daehyun for the misprinted information?" She spoke, shooting me straight up from my bed. 
 
Oh right.
I gulped.
Daehyun
 
I washed my face and hurridely slipped into my black pants and white blazer, keeping my "public" look with a chic and professional style. 
I let my black hair cascade down, only a white ribbon pin to hold my long strands of locks covering my eyes to the side. 
I applied light makeup, nothing heavy- just a blush on my eyelids and a hint of lip gloss, and headed out the door. 
 
"Miss Minhee- you haven't eaten your breakfast" The chef-maid called out, interrupted by me as I put up a hand to stop her. 
 
"It's all right ahjumma! I'll grab a salad on the way! Thank you!" I called out, heading out the doors. 
I hopped in the sleek black limo, which sped towards the document informations center in no time. 
I played with my fingers nervously, feeling a sudden knot in my stomach curl and uncurl at a constant pace.
 
I'm going to meet the person who sung the songs I treasured so much- 
The very person I missed so much despite the bitter past.... Will he remeber me?
The person who kept me sane in my cage called a mansion, the person who I watched from a distance for so long....
 
"We're here miss." The driver announced, opening the doors.
I quietly snuck out and made my way to the legal center, making sure not to attract too much attention. 
Paparazzis can lead to very serious misunderstandings. 
 
Orange folder documents at hand, I sat by one of the chairs inside the building waiting room with the lawyer.
I already discussed the problems with the documents, and had to wait for the...other person to come and confirm the misprint. 
 
Suddenly, the coffee-brown haired guy appeared, his frame clothed with a casual white collared blouse and black jeans.
My breath shortened, and I came back to my senses as he sat down next to me. 
 
"I've heard about the misprint in the documents, and yes, I am not the second-in-line heir of the Jung family." He spoke quickly and firmly, his voice making my insides quiver.
 
Reality woke me, and I continued,
"How long will it take to clear him off the documents?" 
"It will take about two to three months, depending on the nation's family tree association's progress.
You two will need to go through questioning and other information confirmation, so I will give you guys a call for the appointments."
The lawyer stated, taking the documents in his hands.
He explained some more things we have to do, then bid us farewells as his next appointment caught up to him. 
The doors closed, and it was me and Daehyun.
 
"Ha- You must be very important huh?" He scoffed, throwing me into confusion- 
Where's that caring, kind guy I was expecting..? 
 
"Wh..What do you mean?" I asked, tilting my head. 
 
"Wah.. It bothered you THAT much that my face was wedged in your family tree? Your prestigious family tree diagram?" He spoke coldly. 
"Ah- where are my manners? My name's Jung Daehyun, a singer who you probably don't know about, and it's such a...honor.. to meet the youngest heiress of South Korea's Jung family. " He spoke. 
 
My jaw hung down, and I gasped in horror. 
Finding my voice, I sputtered out, 
"B.A..P's v-vocal... How are so rude?" 
 
"Oh I'm sorry princess, was I rude? Let me kiss your feet." He mocked sardonically, pushing me to edges even further. 
 
"Juhgeeyo* (Look here) Daehyun-ssi." I growled, fists clenching. 
He looked up with a twinge of sadness behind his eyes, driving my disappointed nerves to their poor limits- 
Because I was sad too.
"I didn't make that mistake on the family tree diagram. The diagram stands for our family's long inherited pride. You were just a mistake on the paper, and my family was confused. That's why we're here. It's a misprint." I continued, trying to calm my nerves down. 
 
"Can't you just let it slip? Do you read your family tree everyday? Is it THAT bothersome that my face is mistakenly put in there for some reason? This, the process of cancelling out my face off some paper is annoying me. I don't really want to participate in this part just to make sure my face is clean off a piece of paper."
He groaned, glaring at me disapprovingly. 
 
"I apologize for your inconvinience. But please don't mock my family. It's the only thing I treasure, and you're disappointing me." I spat, all my expectations crumbling beneathe my feet.
That seemed to get Daehyun's attention, and he asked
 "Why is your family so important to you? And how the hell do I disappoint you?" 
 
I flinched at his angry tone.
"My family worked their way from rock bottom to success, and they prove that everyday that they won't take anything for granted. I get it if you mock me. But don't mock those honorable people that works hard to raise South Korea's weak economy for the people. Daehyun-ssi. I listen to all your songs. I thought you might be more caring, more understanding- I know you're a singer, and I'm a person too. Not a stuck-up princess you might think I am. So stop looking down at me." 
I spoke, keeping my pride. 
 
Seeing my clenched fists, he half-heartedly whispered, 
"Sorry." 
 
I just scoffed at him and gave him a unbelievable glare. 
"Daehyun-ssi. I can't believe you sing such beautiful songs with a cold heart." I mumbled, a tear escaping my eye. 
The voice that kept me awake all my mansion prison life... 
The one person I thought was good- 
Is like everyone else. Again.
They all think I'm a stuck up princess, and nobody believes in me. 
 
I stood up, wiping an escaped tear. 
"Until next time, Daehyun-ssi." I coldly spoke, and walked out of the conference room. 
 
Daehyun sat there blankly, feeling somewhat guilty,ashamed, confused, and sad.
He looked at the file of papers on the desk, shuffling through the meaningless papers. 
"Jung.. Minhee." He muttered, the name oh-so familiar in his mouth, wanting to apologize to the girl for disrespecting her family-
Quite again.
Just because he never had one really.
She had all the love a child could get while he was treated with all the unfairness a child could endure.
Feeling bitter, Daehyun walked out of  the building and got into Manger Kang's car.
 
"How'd it go?" His manager asked, veering the car into the road.
 
"I insulted a princess's pride." Daehyun scoffed, looking out the window. 
 
Manager Kang laughed, knowing well of Daehyun's way of insulting-without-real-attempt.
Deep inside, Daehyun was rolling the image of her around his head, a fuzzy and doubtful feeling washing over his memories. 
 
And the sky was clear blue, the same color of both Daehyun and Minhee's innocent, hurt, and guilty minds. 
 
-------------------------
 
~Minhee's flashback 
 
"Haha! Minhee doesn't have any friends!!" The school bully laughed, pointing her chubby fingers at me.
 
I was sobbing with my dirtied elementary school uniform, feeling abused and helpless. 
"Don't hurt me" I sobbed, feeling the merciless hands shake my shoulders. 
Only two weeks into my public elementary school year, and I'm being bullied for having fancy people follow me. 
 
"Miss Minhee!" One of my bodyguards yelled, having found me after I snuck off- 
Only to see me getting bullied. 
 
The bully ran off, fearing the man in the suit, leaving me cold and empty. 
The guard started coming towards me, and resentment grew. 
"I HATE YOU! Leave me alone!" I yelled, sprinting off into another direction. 
It's because of THEM that I was in danger. 
They serve to protect me, but brings greater threats to me. 
I ran aimlessly, just letting my feet lead me wherever. I don't care where I end up anymore- 
Just away from the people protecting me.
 
I stumbled into an abandoned classroom, one of the students' limited access rooms. 
I gasped for air and panted heavily, my tiny palms sweating in nervousness. 
 
"Aish- What are you?" A voice called out from the darkness, startling my little body. 
 
"S-sorry!" I whined, waiting for a rough punch or something.
 
"Why are you shaking? It's not cold in here." The guy stepped out from the shadows, closing his book. 
 
"Someone's chasing me. Can I stay here for a while?"  I asked, looking back at the door for any sound of blown cover. 
 
"As long as you don't bother me" He shrugged, leaning on the wall and opening his book back up. 
"What's your name?" He asked, eyes solely focused on the book pages. 
 
"Jung Minhee." I answered, kind of hating my last name. 
 
He seemed to tense up, which is the usual response I got. 
Settling down, his careless tone turned into a cold one as he spoke, "We have the same last name- Funny how situations are different." 
 
I tilted my head and asked, "What situation?" 
 
"Guards are chasing princesses down on your side, and I have to guard myself to fill my stomach." He scoffed, flapping over a page from his book. 
 
"Doesn't your mom cook for you?" I asked, questions surfacing from many angles. 
 
"I don't have parents. Just myself, a stray cat, and a run-down house." He answered, as if it was the most normal thing to have in the world. 
He braced himself for a mocking laugh, or even just the girl leaving him- 
The typical responses he got.
 
But instead, he was surprised when Minhee, the youngest heiress of South Korea's power family- that much he already knew- asked, 
"What's your cat's name?" 
 
Something clicked in his heart, and he smiled, a feeling he wasn't used to.
"His name's Babo. He wonders around all the time and rarely comes home, but he knows he belongs with me, because he's stupid." 
 
"Babo's not stupid- He's smart. He comes back to you everytime, so he must be smart to know his way back to you." I laughed, seeing his warm smile. 
 
The boy looked up at me as if I was a weird foreigner, but dropped his guard as he held out a hand. 
"My name's Daehyun. Jung Daehyun."
 
I took it as he gave a light shake, then   we burst into little laughs.
"Why are we laughing?" I asked, wiping a humored tear. 
 
"Because you're everything I'm not. We're so opposite but we're talking together" Daehyun chuckled, his face looking like a cat's face. 
 
"You look like a cat- Maybe I should call you Babo." I giggled, imitating whiskers and ears. 
 
We laughed for few good minutes when suddenly, the door opened. 
"There you are miss!" The guard called out. 
"Are you alright? Anywhere hurt?" He pestered me with questions when I realized Daehyun disappeared.
Looking for my friend, I scanned the area and didn't see a single hair. 
Where did he go? 
"Let's go home miss." The guard spoke, dragging my hand away. 
 
"Daehyun...." I mumbled, feeling lost. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
      My first encounter with the singer had happened so long ago- 
He was a elementary school 3rd year when I just entered, and we met at a restricted abandoned classroom accidentally.
I was hoping he'd somehow remeber me- 
But of course he doesn't. I was immediately transferred to a private school after Dad was informed that I was bullied, a year after the incident.
And he's a celebrity now. 
It's everything he wanted to be- 
So why try to pester him with my bits of sad memories and remind him of his worst days? 
 
"Babo"
I muttered, looking out the car window. 
Then, as the thought that I was going back to my home surfaced, I felt suffocated. 
Too hard to breathe- 
 
"Mr.Woo, can you drop me off here? I want to catch some air. I'll walk back home."
I choked, and the driver immediately obeyed. 
 
"Don't push yourself so hard miss." He pleaded, helping me out of the car. 
 
I nodded to him in gratitude, and walked to the enterance of the park. 
The summer breeze and the tree's whispers were the only things that could calm me now- 
Daehyun's voice now suffocates me. 
 
My face fell as I rewound my thoughts to the meeting- 
How he doesn't remeber me, 
How he turned same as everyone else. 
He was the only hope in me that some people are good in this world, and now the only ray of sunlight was tamped out from my heart.
 
Is there anybody out there who will see me for just a normal girl? Someone who'll throw out my name just to hold me close, care for me without the greed for money and popularity? 
... Anybody? 
I gripped my Chanel purse tighter, feeling my Swarovski crystals choke my throat.
 
"Excuse me- A..Are you all right?" A sweet voice asked in concern, and I felt myself fall towards the ground, only to be caught by a pair of arms. 
Regaining my conciousness, I straightened myself and apologzied.
 
"Omo! Jwesonghapneeda* (formal sorry)"
Then, I gasped as his masked face revealed his identity- 
I'd recognize those baby cheeks anywhere....
It can't be- 
 
Yoo Youngjae, lead vocal of B.A.P.
 
"Yoo Youngjae-ssi?" I whispered, asking myself more than asking him. 
He looked surprised, and tugged down his mask. 
 
"Guess I'm caught. But what about you Jung Minhee-ssi?" He chuckled, and I pouted. 
Everywhere I go- 
I'm the youngest heiress of the Jung family, the precious princess.
 
"Follow me." He smiled, gesturing to the many people surrouding the park.
I followed him obediently, his hand casually grabbing mine. 
On one side, I was squealing at the fact that B.A.P's lead vocal was holding my hand, and on the other side, I was paranoid and started to think that he might be a man in disguise trying to kidnap me for ransom.
No, psh- this isn't a One Shot music video.
 
I tried to duck my face from bypassers but knew it was useless anyways. 
When we stepped into a clearing, I sighed in relief. 
"Where are we?"
I asked, needing to know my way back. 
"A quiet place."
He smiled, his eye-smile and baby cheeks showing. 
He gestured to a small bench, which I carefully sat down in. 
 
"So- what happened with Daehyun? I apologize for his rude actions.. He doesn't know anything does he?" He spoke, reading through my mind.
 
So that's why he found me...
"Ah- no! It's okay! It's the usual treatment I get. I'm surprised you're so understanding." I replied, waving my hands in front of me in protest. 
 
"So what brings you to the park Miss Minhee?" He asked. 
 
I felt uncomfortable with the use of the title "miss", so I requested, "Please don't call me Miss... I hate the title.. I came to the park because.. I don't want to go home." 
 
"So I call you Minhee and you call me Youngjae-ssi? No- it doesn't sound right.. Can you call me oppa?" His baby smile melted me, and I found myself nodding. 
 
I soon found myself just letting all the gushed up feelings out- 
To a random idol star I bumped into.
"The mansion house suffocates me. It always does. I wanted to be free so much but.. Chains hold me down. This has been my burden all my life" I sadly smiled, sighing at my pathethic story. 
 
"What brings the lead vocal of B.A.P here? Aren't you gearing up for a new album release?" I asked. 
 
"Maybe I came here to see you-" he chuckled, then said, " I'm kidding- I came to take a walk. I'm a person too, so can't I take a simple walk?" 
 
His response woke me, and I found myself asking inside questions. 
"I'm a person too..." I mumbled.
"So why are you chained up?" He asked. 
I slowly found the answer reveal before my eyes- 
"Because I let myself be." I answered, knowing that it's the truth. 
But I know I had to be in this situation.
I knew all along, but I didn't want to admit it.
 
"And my job is done here." He stood up, reaching out his hand towards me. 
I took it, and he pulled me up to stand. 
"It's nice to meet you Minhee. I'll probably see you more often." He bid farewell, then started to walk away. 
 
So he left. 
Just like that? 
What the fuqq just happend? 
Did I hallucinate or something? 
 
Despite the pure WEIRDNESS of the situation, or the pure FANGIRLING part of it,
..I want to see him more often.