Filthy Rich Princess

Family? You & Me

 

2nd day, I'm waiting for Daehyun in the conference room. 
It's one of our interview days, and of course he's late. 
 
I was negotiating ways to continue the... cleansing of my family tree with just one person as a liability, and the negotiating process kind of turned into a desperate plea from me- 
I don't want to deal with one of South Korea's talented idol stars any more than I wanted to drink straight from a clorox bottle. 
 
Seeing no end to the fact that there had to be a person from the family line, and the person of mistake, I slowly massaged my temples in frustration-
I'm only what, 19 years old? 
 
"Sorry I'm late" 
That stoic, half-hearted voice came from the doorway, whipping my head up in alarm. 
I rolled my eyes, letting out a mocking scoff.
 
"Did Daehyun-ssi get chased by his trailing paparazzis again?" I mumbled with a pout, pressing his buttons- 
He's the one who's late after all.
 
"I'd say the same to you- princess." He hissed back, not even sparing a glare towards me.
I flamed up, hating that cursed nickname- my weak point. 
The reason I was kept from the society in the first place...
Because I was a little "princess".
 
Swallowing down rage, we began signing papers as quick as possible, teeth clenching and blood boiling.
 
In midst of the cold silence, I stole a glance or two in his direction- 
Catching the full glimpse of the face I adored from my secretly hidden laptop and phone screens- 
The gift of God that lay beneathe his y layer of skin and personality. 
His angelic voice- 
 
My eyes unconciously trailed to his throat, seeing the beautiful treasure box that kept safe the key to my heart- 
His freaking voice.
 
"Miss Jung Minhee?" The lawyer caught my attention, and I woke up from the embarassing trance. 
I mentally slapped myself as I caught Daehyun's arrogant smirk, that triumphant sign of mockery slowly tantalizing me in every way possible.
 
"Y..yes?" I peeped in response, feeling the B.A.P member's eyes hovering heavily over me.
 
The lawyer was pointing out more things for me to sign personally, and Daehyun just sat there, pretending like he's in some kind of a hospital waiting room.
I hated this-
The whole process of me wearing my fancy suits in front of the guy who thought it was a stereotypical thing for such rich princesses like me, signing off professional papers- 
All the while he's just donned in casual hoodies and jeans. 
 
Everytime I saw him, or just glanced at him, there's a twinge of feeling in my guts, a feeling I truly dislike. 
Jealousy. 
He's got everything I can't have- 
And that's the first reason I loved B.A.P in the first place. 
But now it's gotten bigger than just staring at posters or watching music shows. 
Looking at his face reminded me of all the things I can't do.
All the normal things I could do. 
Weird, how I'm getting this from a K-pop star... 
But..... 
Whether he's really my secret cousin or not, I just want to...
Start again....
It's impossible for someone to act so arrogant, rude, and cold all the time. 
Or so I still believe.
 
"And we're done here." The lawyer spoke, filing the papers.
I gave him a distracted nod as the lawyer left through the doors. 
I was preparing to leave when- 
 
"Yah. Do I have something on my face?" He spoke. 
The silent wall he built crumbled to pieces. 
 
"M..mwoh? (What?)" I stuttered, checking to see if my hearing was okay. 
 
"You keep staring at my face. Is there anything on it?" He nonchlantly replied, rubbing his cheeks for any substances.
 
"A...ani (no)" I shook my head, feeling the tip of my ears burn red. 
 
"So why does little miss princess stare at me as if I'm the most important cheesecake in the world?" He scoffed, giving me a suspicious look.
 
"Oh look it's time to go" I sheepishly pointed to the clock. 
 
"That's the calender." He blinked, pointing to what I was pointing at. 
I guess it wasn't a clock after all.
 
Feeling my entire self glow red, I silently cursed myself for being so stupid in front of my, what you can call, almost a crush. 
Just a fangirl in front of her bias.  
Or so I hoped.
 
"No seriously, why do you keep staring at me?" Daehyun asked, the dead tone lifted from his approach.
 
There's no reason as to why I should open up to him- 
He's just another celebrity after all. 
"Because you remind me of a sunbae." I smiled, thinking back to our first encounter. 
"He always read in a dark classroom, and he reminds me of you." I sadly smiled. 
It's true what I said. 
At least Daehyun back then didn't act so cold to me- 
Even if he knew I was a filthy rich heiress. 
 
I felt his intense gaze burning my body. 
 
"W..why are you looking at me?" I squeaked, feeling pressured.
I grabbed the handles of my Chanel purse tighter, the heels on my feet standing unsteadily. 
 
"Because you remind me of a hoobae. (Opposite of sunbae- younger schoolmate)" He smirked, brushed past me, and left the room. 
 
Minhee's Flashback ~ ~
 
"Minhee is so rich she thinks she can prance around the field with the 5th years? You pesky little 2nd year." 
A senior girl's group ganged up on me, and I had my fingers crossed that none of my body guards would witness this. 
One more witness and Dad will throw me off this school. 
 
"I..I'm sorry unnie. I came to look for my jacket-" I whimpered, feeling their strong presence pierce through me.
 
"Sorry doesn't cut it. We have a soccer tournament soon and you're runing our practice. GET OUT." The leader unnie spat, jabbing her sharp finger at my chest, making me fall down on the dirt. 
"Awhh you ruined her expensive skirt Jaerim!" Another girl giggled, and I bit down on my teeth. 
I boldly stood back up, brushed off my skirt, and walked past them to find my jacket- 
Pretending like I can't see them. 
If they keep insisting that I act so snooty, then snooty I will be.
 
"Don't walk off when I'm talking to you little miss daddy's girl!" The leader girl Jaerim snapped. 
She grabbed my wrist harshly and turned me around. 
I gave her a cold look-over :
Her sports uniform implied that she was a soccer player, and her personality clearly pronounced that she's the head captain
 
"I'm getting my jacket." I replied, eyes flicking to her shoes and up to her face boldly, as if I looked down on her.
"YAH. Look here little princess-" She spat, twisting my wrist painfully. 
I didn't falter my little ice-princess act, and glared back at her. 
"I can hurt you in many ways unspeakable. If you step one more of your pretty cash-wrapped foot in this field-" 
 
I yanked my arm away from her, and continued to walk fast and find my school jacket. 
 
"Oh this is gonna get it-" I heard Jaerim spit out, and her friends yelping at the uncontrolable situation.
I waited for my face to land more or less gracefully into the field's hard dirt ground, but felt a body swiftly slam into my back, as if blocking the blow.
 
"Stop it Jaerim." 
A familiar voice spoke, the sound vibrations shaking my insides.
I turned around to process the situation.
 
"Minhee- are you okay?" Daehyun sunbae's concerned eyes explored my scared one, seeing right through my little facade-
Acting like I was some heartless rich girl while inside, I was shaking with fear.
I managed out a nod, and glanced curiously at Jaerim and her friends. 
They were now cowering behind Daehyun, glancing at him shyly and walking off with slight disappointment, shame, and .. Fear? 
Why would they be scared of Daehyun sunbae? He's the same year as them-
 
"Your wrist is bruising. Let's go fix you up kiddo." Daehyun sunbae smiled, gently nudging me back to the school building. 
"B..but I need to get my j..jacket" I mumbled under his now taller-than-me height, since his growth spurts are kicking in and I'm three years lower than him. 
 
"Go to the infirmary- I'll find the jacket." He gave me a push with a warming smile, which I succumbed to with a weak nod. 
 
In the infirmary, the nurse had bandaged my bruised wrist and left the room to catch her lunch break.
I quickly rushed to the window which thankfully showed the outside field.
I searched up and down, and finally my raking eyeballs landed on Daehyun sunbae's familiar frame- 
And three others, which were Jaerim and two of her little minions.
Jaerim's foot was nervously tapping the ground, and her hands were coiled shyly. 
I saw move, followed by Daehyun sunbae's ice-cold glare.
Jaerim and her friends backed off, and as Daehyun oppa's mouth moved impassively, Jaerim and her friends were sprinting back to their soccer game.
 
Daehyun sunbae's deadly expression imbedded itself in my brain, and I couldn't shake off the cold feeling creeping around the edges of doubt and fear. 
I found myself stuck to the wall, avoiding being open in the window's view- as if I was scared to be seen by him. 
With a pent-up breath, I peeked at the window to see Daehyun sunbae with my jacket in his hand. 
One of my dad's guards were walking by the field, and Daehyun sunbae casually slung my jacket across his shoulders as if it was his- 
His usual smart way of avoiding my guards.
I saw him heading to the main enterance of the school, and I ran back to the infirmary bed, pretending like I haven't seen anything. 
 
He came inside the infirmary with my jacket, wearing a warm smile- 
And now it seemed off to me.
After seeing his scary look on his face- his smile makes me want to avoid him, run away for safety. 
 
Pushing the guilty feelings aside, I returned a shy smile and scooted to the edge of the bed, swinging my feet down to the floor.
 
"Gomaewoyo (formal thank you) Daehyun sunbae." 
 
 I thanked as he slipped the dusty article of clothing into my arms. 
He caught a sight of my bandaged wrist-
"You sure you're okay?"
 He asked in doubut, gently picking up my wrist in his hands. 
I nodded, feeling nothing but strange little tingles through my arm at his touch. 
 
Biting my lips nervously, I gathered up enough courage to ask the horrifying question. 
"W..what did you say to Jaerim at the field Daehyun sunbae?" I asked.
He paused for a bit, then replied, "Something everyone wants to hear." 
 
I tilted my head at the answer.
"What do you mean everyone?" I whispered, a twitch of a warning picking at my insides.
 
"They think I'm a bad kid- so a bad kid I'll be." Hesimply answered.
I nodded, feeling like I fit into his shoes perfectly- 
My little "rich ice-princess" image had come from the whole misconception of society in the first place.
 
"I..I don't think you're bad Daehyun sunbae.." I nervously mumbled, but failed to be out of sunbae's hearing range.
 
I sensed his smile from the way he gripped my injured hand a bit tighter in his hands, and I looked up shyly. 
"So a good person I'll be to you." He smirked, his face looking perfect. 
"You're not ..them you know." Daehyun sunbae was tracing the edge of the bandage on my wrist. 
 
A spark flew up inside me at the remark, and I spoke up, 
"But they aren't enemies. We are them, Daehyun sunbae. It's not like we're different spieces of aliens." 
I laughed, not understanding his little laws of being reclusive.
 
"But they'll never understand. I'll always be the bad good-for-nothing in their eyes, and you'll always be their rich snooty princess." He groaned, his expression becoming dark. 
"I think that they are good deep inside. They'll understand if we open up, you know? Instead of hiding what's true, just let them see all of you- good and bad, and then they can point fingers at you. At least you can be proud to be yourself." I replied, putting my good hand on top of Daehyun sunbae's sad ones.
 
"And to think you're a rich little 2nd year kid." His bright smirk came back, and I unconciously sighed happily.
 
"And to think you're a 3-year older sunbae." I playfully snapped back. 
 
And the rest of the happy day passed on by with giggles and smirks.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of Minhee's Flashback
 
I was walking towards home, straightening  my expensive brand-name hoodie.
Just thinking of prices and money made my gut sick, and I let out a light groan of frustration. 
As if on cue, my phone rung in the most inconvinient way of its loud B.A.P's Coffee Shop ringtone, the chorus beginning with Daehyun's 'glorifying' voice. 
Seeing the name of my maid flash on the screen, I answered, "Yeobosaeyo?" 
 
"Miss Minhee, you have a business lecture coming up in 30 minutes. Please see to being home soon." Jihye sounded nervous, as if pressured. 
"Don't worry Jihye. I'll be home in 'round a minute or two." I sighed reassuringly, truding on in my expensive boots- 
Again, expensive.
Just in case Minhwan oppa (my blood-related brother)  faced unfortunate events, I always had to keep to the edge of my seat and stay highly educated as a heiress of the Jung business.
 
I sighed as I veered my feet off to a secret pathway, secluded from the outside world- 
The pretty cage itself. 
 
A bitter taste lingered on my tongue as I walked to the lonely front doors of my mansion. 
 
"How are you so rich Minhee?" 
His voice rung through my head, and I mouthed the words I had responded so many years ago. 
 
"Because we work hard."
 
Because we work hard....
No matter how cold and cruel.