Last Gift

Chu Ga Eul's Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

STUFFS TO DO:

1.      Wedding gown fitting at Kerry’s

2.      Hand in guest list to Kim planner.

3.      Decides on list of desserts to be made on the day.

4.      Check with Mr. Park whether everything is going on well.

5.      Make sure JanDi will be able to attend as my bridesmaid.

Actually, there isn’t much to do since everything will be pretty much handled by the over excited YiJeong’s mum and her auxiliaries, and also my mum who has been developing a chronic butting-in disease recently.

Three days ago when I wrote this list on my diary, I was possessed with excitement too. But now, I am looking back at the list, struck with deep fear and confusion.

So….. How should I explain this? I just received a so called mysterious call from a guy (with some kind of robotic voice) ordering me to cancel the wedding or something catastrophic will happen, and he also warned me not to report the call to anyone, or my world will just end futilely.

I know I shouldn’t take the call seriously, since it might just be an ominous prank-call or just another extortion from the psychotic JiYeon, but then I couldn’t help but to worry, if something untoward will really comes up and mess everything.

“You know. You should add kissing YiJeong to the list” YiJeong’s voice startles the soul out of me. “Yah!! Stop startling me!!” I slap his arm hard, causing him to moan in pain. I don’t know why, but nowadays he is getting ridiculously it intimidates me. He would just randomly wrap is arms around my waist, kiss my cheek and sometimes lip, and saying those cheesy things, all of it done in public, with the presence of another human beings. His behaviors was so rampant that JunPyo once told us to get a room after spilling his drinks as the effect of seeing YiJeong kissing me abruptly when we were hanging out at the lounge.                                                                                                                   

“Why are you staring blankly at the wall like a widow of a soldier?” He asks while settling himself next to me and smirks.

“No I didn’t” I deny vehemently, trying to hide my phone from his view.

“Yes you did.” He knits his eyebrows together, looking like he is trying to penetrate         my brain to read it.

“No I didn’t. Why don’t you do something better like for example, continue with your clay pot making, rather than bothering me all day long?” I babble, still trying to naturalize my intrigued feeling after the call.

“It’s pottery, and I’m not making any pots” He frowns upon my words, maybe fleetingly hurt. He is sensitive when it comes to the love of his life, pottery. He is profoundly in love with that thing, sometimes I felt like crazy woman for getting jealous over a piece of vase. It was hard, being with So Yi Jeong, it’s already suffocating enough to fight the lustful glances from other women, but still I have to compete with a four-tier-cabinet full of clay pots to get his full attention. Well, it’s not like his attention on me was not enough, but …..

“Then go and date all your vases. What are you still doing here?” I fidget, trying to shoo him away from my room.

“I need your help” He mutters while pulling a plastic pack out of his oversized sweater’s pocket.

“What help?” I ask nonchalantly.

“Help me… put this mask on” He grins, shoving a pack of charcoal face mask in my direction.

“What the ?”

“I have to look good for the wedding too”

Ok, maybe I should put away all my worries and concentrates on putting the black-coal peel off mask on his already smooth skin first.

 

*************

 

“JanDi ah. I think my heart is going to stop beating very soon” I whine while pacing front and back restlessly around the room.

“Eigooooo… Try to relax… just walk on the altar, kiss him and puff! The next second you will already be entitled as Ms. So. So Ga Eul.” JanDi tries to convince me, while munching on the giant dark chocolate cookies that were supposed to be given as door gifts for children.

“Ya!!! You still can eat in this kind of situation?” I yell out, still trying to tame the wild butterflies swarming inside my stomach.

“Why can’t I? What kind of situation is it?” She acts oblivious.

“I hope you get fat until you explode!” I glare at her, slightly irked because she is not helping at all with the predicaments I am undergoing.

“GaEul. You are looking like an angel today, wearing this beautiful gown. But if you keep on acting so batty, don’t be shocked if YiJeong ended up running away” She replies, still munching on the cookie.  Her reply caused my body to shiver uncomfortably. What if what she said comes true? What if suddenly YiJeong changed his mind? What if YiJeong comes to me and said all this while he was pretending his affections towards me for the sake of his family?  What if …..

“Don’t worry GaEul…. Everything will run out smoothly.” JanDi gives me a bear hug of cuddle, bringing me back to the state of calmness.

“Hope so” I sigh.

“Wait! Hey! Chu Ga Eul… Don’t cry…..You’ll ruin your makeup” JanDi suddenly panics, seeing tears filling up my eyes.

“I’m not”

“Oh, by the way, where is YiJeong? It’s already nearing eleven” She takes a peek at her wrist watch with a frown on her face.

“That’s why…  The guests are already filling in the hall”

“Why he is –“ My enunciation is interrupted by my ringing phone.

 

“Hel-Hello?” I whisper into the phone.

“Hello? Is this Mr. So Yi Jeong’s acquaintance?” ask a man’s voice.

“Yes. May I help you?”

“This is Seoul Hospital’s emergency department”

“Hos- hospital?”

“We hope you will remain calm, but we have to inform you that Mr. So was involved in an accident, and now is being attended by our team of doctors”

“ACCIDENT?” I hear myself yell as I feel everything inside me shattering, and the next moment, I realize I am already wailing in front of the ER, expecting for the worst to happen.

 

“So Yi Jeong? He is now in ward number six. He is in a stable condition, it’s just that we have to limit the number of visitors since he needs congruent environment in order for him to reach speedy recovery” an ER nurse explains carefully to me and the whole So Mansion who were waiting anxiously for the report of YiJeong’s current condition.

“Can- can I meet him now?” I stutter, still feeling the big sized lump blocking my throat.

“Of course, but only two persons at a time” the nurse gives me a sympathetic smile. I don’t blame her. I feel sympathetic to myself too. At this time of the day, I should be chanting the marriage covenant alongside YiJeong, but then here I am, walking nervously into ward number six, fathoming to see a plastered up YiJeong with broken limbs.

“You’re late” YiJeong’s voice caused me to lift my muddled head.

“What took you so long?” To my surprise, YiJ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter