Chapter 8

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Left thumb brushed against the phone in his hand while the other hand held loosely a smaller hand. He looked worriedly at the young boy next to him before releasing a sigh. What should he do with him now? It’s not like his mother did not change her old phone number nor he knew where they’re currently living in; it’s not possible to ask Jaeyoon anyway since he apparently begged for him not to call his mother. But what would Jessica think of him when she found her son... with him in the middle of the night? Taeyeon scratched his nape as stressful thoughts started consuming his head.

“Uncle Taengoo?” Taeyeon stopped walking and crouched down on Jaeyoon’s level. “Please don’t call Mommy...” Taeyeon sighed for the umpteenth time that night.

He nodded his head and scooped Jaeyoon in his arms. “Even if I’d like to call your mum right now, I told you I don’t have anything to contact her. I’ve been wanting to Jaeyoon; your mum must be so frantic now, looking for you.” Jaeyoon hugged his neck and wrapped his legs around his waist. He nestled his head on his shoulder before Taeyeon heard him sobbing. He patted his back.

“I’m afraid... Mommy... I don’t wanna be scolded again... she’d cry...” Jaeyoon whispered in his ear, fingers played with the collar of his work shirt.

Taeyeon nodded his head and continued walking, time to time patting his back for comfort. “I’ll ask her not to scold you if you promise me something Jaeyoon,” he told him before halting again to pull Jaeyoon away from his hug. However Jaeyoon had his head low. “Look at me,” the kid slowly lifted his head up and looked at his eyes. “Promise me if you don’t wanna be scolded by your mum.” Taeyeon’s tone was a bit cold.

Jaeyoon dropped his gaze from him before nodding. “Promise Uncle Taengoo.”

Taeyeon pushed him again in his embrace. “I’ll tell you later.”

***

Taeyeon opened the microwave oven and retrieved the cup of milk he heated for Jaeyoon. He walked to the living room, seeing him still sulking, he let out another sigh. He placed the cup on the coffee table and sat on the carpet with him. Taeyeon did not have any idea where to drop him off and the only place where he could be safe at that night was his apartment.

“Drink your milk,” he pushed the cup towards him and Jaeyoon immediately sipped on it. “Now tell me why you were wandering alone at night time? Honestly, Jaeyoon.”

Jaeyoon nodded his head before crawling on Taeyeon’s lap. “I have no daddy anymore Uncle Taengoo,” he admitted softly, tucking his head under Taeyeon’s chin.

 Taeyeon’s forehead scrunched up in confusion. “Say that again?” he asked as he cupped Jaeyoon’s face. He looked earnestly in his eyes only to find tears slowly building around the corners of his eyes. Jaeyoon threw his limbs around his chest again and hugged him.

“Daddy won’t spend time with me and Mommy no more... even Christmas Uncle Taengoo... It’s... unfair...” He told him, still holding Taeyeon’s torso.

Taeyeon scratched his head. That quite explained why Taeyeon never saw his father yet. “So you ran away?” He asked gently, trying not to offend Jaeyoon for he knew the poor boy has been feeling guilty already.

Jaeyoon bobbed his head, “I was mad at daddy.”

“Jaeyoon,” Taeyeon called. Jaeyoon didn’t respond but just nestled his head on his chest. “Remember you’ve promised me something, right?” Jaeyoon gave a small nod. “Don’t ever run away like this just because you were upset alright? You were lucky it was my friend who found you, next time who knows?” He finally looked up at him, with big round eyes staring at him with reluctance. “You promised,” he insisted. Jaeyoon climbed up on him and hugged his neck again.

“Promise...” he muttered, burying his face again on his shoulder.

A smile found its way on Taeyeon’s face. He couldn’t believe how much Jaeyoon was being clingy with him right now. “Are you feeling sleepy yet, Jaeyoon?”

Jaeyoon finally released the yawn he was holding back and gave him another firm nod.

“Go to sleep and I’ll try to find your mum, a’ight?” Taeyeon got up on his feet.

“Aye aye captain,” Jaeyoon mumbled sleepily.

“You watch Spongebob too much,” Taeyeon smirked as he started walking to his room. He opened the door and put Jaeyoon down on his bed. “Night, Jaeyoon.”

Jaeyoon forced his eyes open and tugged on Taeyeon’s arm. He looked at him expectantly with droopy eyes. “Tell mommy don’t scold me, ‘kay?”

Taeyeon smiled before patting Jaeyoon’s thigh. “I’ve promised, didn’t I?”

 

***

Pulling his winter jacket tightly around his body, Taeyeon’s eyes searched around for the nearest police station. Spotting one just across the street, Taeyeon pulled down the hood of his jacket and quickly made his way through the rain.

“I’m sorry Mrs. Kwon but it’s not been 24 hours since your son is missing. We couldn’t – “

“Bull! My FIVE year old son IS alone, wandering around the streets of Seoul at night time! Do you not think of what possible things might happen to my son?! Do you?! You all are ed up selfish officers that couldn’t do your job properly!” The lady with brown hair pointed her index finger on the officer, nose flaring in anger. 24 hours? 24 freaking hours? Were those officers out of their minds? A five year old was missing, how could they say they couldn’t find him? What they were spouting was just complete and utter bull!

The door of the station rang as Taeyeon opened the door. He pulled up the hood of his jacket and ruffled his slightly wet hair.

“Taeyeon?” He looked up and saw Jessica staring at him; face beet red with dried tears on the side of her cheeks.

Taeyeon suddenly forgot his reason why he went there as he saw Jessica’s condition. His heart sank down in his chest and without second thought, he walked slowly towards her and engulfed her in his embrace. Her body started shaking against his as her hands fumbled about on the zipper of his jacket.

Taeyeon smoothed her hair and repetitively whispered “calm down” gently in her ears.

After a while, Jessica tilted her head up to him, meeting his gaze promptly before pushing herself away from him. “S-Sorry... about that,” sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter