Chapter 15

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon was woken up by the harsh throbbing of his head. It felt as if someone had just constantly hit on his skull. He groaned as he tried to sit up. His room – from what he believed he was in – was currently void of any source of light.

He stood up but immediately sat down once again when he felt like he would throw up all his organs. The nausea was killing him. He lay down on the bed and tried to reach for the switch of the lamp. As his fingers touched the switch, he turned the lamp on and finally, his room was lit.

He sat up again and now he felt as though his throat was burning. He ought to get up and get some water but internally thanked heavens when he saw a glass of water and some painkillers on a tray. Without a hitch, Taeyeon reached for the tablets and downed them with the glass of water. There was also a soup in there but he was sure it was already frozen cold.

Still feeling nauseous, Taeyeon lie down again and wait for the painkillers to kick in. However, a minute passed and his phone started ringing. He fished his phone out from his pocket and grumbled when he saw who it was. God let me rest!

“Mum,” he still answered anyway.

There was a sigh on the other line. “Taeng,” his mum started and he replied with an impatient hum. He already knew why she called. “Son, I’m really sorry to call you this late at night...” she paused for the second time. “Your dad... l-l-lost the money you sent for Hayeon’s school fee... I – “

“Mum,” Taeyeon scratched his head. “Look, you don’t need to lie alright? It’s not like I don’t know dad. What did he use it for this time? Drugs? Alcohol? We both know him mum.” He sighed and guilt quickly rushed in when he heard muffled sobs from the other line. Was he being harsh with his words? “I...I’m sorry. I will send money tomorrow.”

“T-Thank you, Taeyeon-ah... and I’m really sorry for the burden. Be safe there. Remember that I love you, okay? I’m hanging up.”

Taeyeon’s phone beeped and fortunately the painkiller already kicked in so he didn’t need to feel the pounding on his head. He stood up when he saw a yellow post-it note stuck on the tray. He looked at the note and a smile quickly went up to his lips.

Mr. Kim, you still have a lot of things to do in the office. Make sure you take the painkillers and take a rest because tomorrow I won’t let you go again until you completed your task.

P.S: Alcohol is never a way to forget problems. You can talk to me if you would like.

-Ms. Seo

Taeyeon put the note inside his pocket and glanced at the digital clock. It was already 11 in the evening. Just then his stomach started rumbling, and he decided to take a walk to the nearest convenience store.

 

***

Taeyeon was strolling back to his apartment when his eyes caught someone familiar from across the street. Squinting, Taeyeon recognised him as Mr. Kwon... Jessica’s husband. He was about to ignore him when a woman suddenly hugged Mr. Kwon from behind. Taeyeon’s grip on the plastic bag tightened when the Kwon guy turned around and instead of pushing the woman away, he started kissing her.

Taeyeon clenched his jaw.

 “ you,” he cursed under his breath. His normally beating heart was now thudding inside his chest. His eyes turned into slits as he stared at the two of them making out, and the thought of Jessica suddenly popped in his mind. His poor, innocent Jessica – who probably didn’t know anything about what his ed up husband had been doing all this time.

Taeyeon felt like a raging bull, he just wanted to punch him but with his anger reaching its limit, he would not hesitate to grab his head and decapitate him.

Was this the guy he entrusted Jessica to? If that Kwon guy was the one who was the victor for Jessica’s heart, Taeyeon wouldn’t have any second thought to fight and give Jessica what she deserved, because clearly, neither Jessica or any woman deserved to be treated like that.

The plastic bag from his hand fell down on the floor and he found himself running across the street. He angrily pulled the woman away and gave Kwon Yul a punch he greatly asked for.

“What the ?! Who are you – Kim Taeyeon?! You !” Yul tried to punch him back but Taeyeon was quick and grabbed his fist. He twisted his arm and pushed him on the trunk of his black BMW. “Let go of me you ing douchebag!”

“What?” Did he really dare to call him that? “You ed up is cheating on Jessica!”

Yul laughed mockingly and tried to break free from his grasp, but Taeyeon’s hold of him was really tight. “On what way am I cheating on her? You don’t know anything, jerk.”

The anger that was consuming Taeyeon’s being was now replaced with confusion. He was entirely sure this Kwon guy was Jessica’s husband. “What are you talking about?” For some reason Taeyeon was beginning to feel nervous.

Yul responded with a sneer.

Taeyeon tightened his grip on him. “ you!” He swore; annoyed. Why did it feel like Yul wanted to say something? He was curious to know, damn it! He pushed Yul’s face on the trunk, almost wanting to crash the irritating smile away from his face.

“ you too! You’re the start of everything! If it wasn’t for you I’d be fine. Tiffany would be fine and most of all Jessica would be fine! Why do you need to meet her and everything up, huh?! We were alright before you messed up with my best friend!”

Taeyeon’s grip on him loosened. His face paled. Best friend? As much as Taeyeon wanted everything to make sense, nothing was occurring in his mind. What did he mean best friend? Who was he talking about? What did he do wrong? How did he mess up? Taeyeon remained speechless.

Yul chortled as he wiped the blood from his li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter