Chapter 19

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Mo-mmpf-" 

"Shh, Jaeyoon. I told you to stay quiet."

Jaeyoon furrowed his brows as he looked incredulously at his dad. He was starting to worry and suspect that something wrong was going on. It was the first time he saw his dad  like this - so angry, so caustic and bristling. He had tried to ask many times but he was always met with silence. A doubtful silence.

"Daddy," he whispered, and the hand covering his mouth gradually went down. "Mommy's outside. Won't we meet her?"

Yul patted his head and soothed his shoulders. Jaeyoon discreetly looked around in hope of finding anything suspicious to feed his bothered head, but everything was obscure - he could see nothing but a huge place of bleak darkness. "I'll meet her. But Jaeyoon, stay quiet do you understand me?"

With reluctance, he nodded his head. "Daddy, why are we really here?"

"Shh, no more questions. Stay here until I tell you to get out."

Jaeyoon's skin crawled up as finally, fear and certainty settled down on his stomach. Something was wrong. He could sense it; he could feel it right under his nose. He held Yul's hand and looked at him with crystal eyes, silently begging. "Daddy, you said... bad guys go to hell right?"

Yul nodded with a small beam of an ambiguous smile. "Yes."

His grip on his hand tightened even more as he shook his head vehemently. "Then please don't be a bad guy, daddy."

Again, he was responded with silence. Yul crouched down and carressed his head like he used to before. He looked at his eyes and gently pulled him into an embrace. 

"Liars go to hell too, baby." He whispered - his voice bleeding of sheer resentment, as if wanting that sentence to be engraved deeply in Jaeyoon's head.

 

--

Jaeyoon was sitting quietly at the corner of the small room of the warehouse. He was exhausted, confused and bothered by the happenings of this day. It didn't help that he could also constantly hear his mother's faint whimpers from wherever they came from. He wanted to go out and see for himself but he didn't know how to. He didn't even know where he was; he didn't know what to do; and scared - he was scared of the consequences he would face if he disobeyed his father's order, especially when he did not even look like himself at all.

Jaeyoon remained seated, when a phone beside him started vibrating. Immediately, his face lit up as he read Stephanie's name flashing on the screen. With a new hope, he picked up the phone and slid the green button.

"Kwon Yul, where are you?"

"Auntie Steph, this is Jaeyoon."

"Jaeyoon? Oh my God, where are you? Are you okay?" Tiffany's voice was frantic albeit laced with a tad bit of happiness and relief.

"I really don't know, Auntie. I could only see black. But I'm okay."

There was a quick pause on the other line before Jaeyoon heard Taeyeon's voice. "Jaeyoon, this is Uncle Taengoo. Can you remember anything that you passed by before going there?"

Jaeyoon tried to remember anything but he was too sleepy last night that he wasn't really paying attention to anything. "No, Uncle Taengoo." 

There was another pause before he heard a loud sigh. "Nothing at all?"

In panic, Jaeyoon tried to rake his brain for something. He started from their neighbourhood but after that nothing was occuring to him anymore. "I'm sorry, Uncle Taengoo," he admitted guiltily.

"That's okay." Jaeyoon his lips, frustrated that he couldn't help. "Now, can you tell me what your d-dad told you when he took you away?"

Jaeyoon stared pensively at the blank space next to him. "He said he would buy me a gift..." he trailed off as a light bulb just flashed above his head. "Uncle Taengoo! I saw a toy shop. I don't know the name but it's colour yellow."

"Good, good, Jaeyoon. Can you tell uncle Taengoo... uhm... what other shops were near that toy shop?"

Jaeyoon slumped down as devastation invaded every contour of his face. Why couldn't he remember anything? "I'm sorry uncle Taengoo but I can't remember."

"That's fine. Look, Jaeyoon. I'll hang up for a moment but promise me you'll stay wherever you are, okay? Don't go out. We'll find you and your mum."

Jaeyoon gulped down nervously. "Uncle Taengoo, what's wrong with daddy?"

"Uh... Jaeyoon, just stay there and be safe okay? I'm hanging up."

Jaeyoon wasn't even able to say anything as the 'beep' sound blared out from the speaker of the device.

--

Taeyeon gave the phone to the officer as he and Tiffany watched frantically as the ofiicer attempted to track where the mobile phone was located. He was very thankful of Tiffany to turn up because as soon as Jessica left with no one around her, he wasn't able to think properly anymore. All he could think of that time was the danger Jessica and Jaeyoon could be in, in Yul's hand. Though he had never really met the man officially he already came to the conclusion that he was already blinded in extreme anger, therefore wouldn't think of anything but to act out his revenge.

"We found it." 

His ears perked up. He looked expectantly at the officer. 

"It's only a kilometre away from this place. The phone was located at a nearby warehouse but we recieved no exact address. However, if we start moving now and follow where the navigation is telling us to go, it's possible that we would find the place in no time."

Taeyeon and Tiffany looked at each other with overwhelming relief in their eyes. He was finally able to breathe in a more proper pace as a big thorn seemed to be pulled out of his chest. "Let's go." H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter