Chapter 17

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was nearly midnight. Jaeyoon, in his room was tossing and turning, impatiently waiting for the short hand of the clock to point at the number twelve. It's the twenty-fourth of December. Their neighbours were still wide awake, happily waiting to celebrate Christmas Eve - yet there he was, alone in his room, waiting by himself. It was never like this. Although their family was not the perfect one - and even though his dad was mostly not present - his mum and his auntie Steph would share a delightful dinner and a short time of giving presents. However, things were unfortunately not the same this night. The house was so quiet and dull that the silence was even deafening to his ears.

He took another glance at the ticking clock and a smile formed immediately when it finally struck twelve o'clock. The church's bell soon rang, signalling the start of Christmas Day. Their neighbours' loud cheers resonated through the streets, and Jaeyoon wIthout a hitch ran quickly towards his mum's room. 

He knocked on the wooden door; adrenaline suddenly rushing through his veins. What gift would he probably get from his mum? A smile of exhilaration appeared on his face.He never could have been more excited. "Mommy!" He knocked even more furiously.

A few seconds later, the door eventually creaked open, revealing his mum with swollen, restless eyes. Jaeyoon's shoulder drooped. Was she crying? But Jaeyoon shrugged it off. It was supposed to be a happy day. Nobody should be sad at Christmast Eve. Instead Jaeyoon was determined to cheer her up. "Merry Christmas, mommy Jessi!!" He greeted with the most exciting and cheerful voice he could manage.

Jessica smiled. "Merry Christmas Jaeyoon." 

Jaeyoon cluck his tongue silently. Why was nothing happening? It's Christmas - why did it feel like it was just a normal night? Where were the foods, the presents? Where was his auntie Stephanie? "Mommy...it's Christmas right?" He asked though it sounded absolutely ridiculous.

His mum nodded and crouched down, meeting his eyes. "It is... But there were a lot of things happening these past few days... so I haven't prepared anything. I'm sorry."

Though disappointed, Jaeyoon just beamed an understanding smile. "It's okay mommy. But... can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Of course," she ruffled his hair and ushered him to the king size bed.

The both of them laid down on the soft mattress, both with smiles of bliss. Jaeyoon was very happy because he was inside his mum's warm embrace, tapping him slightly while humming to a Christmas song. It was the first time his mum acted like this towards him, and it somehow made him feel so loved - that his mother actually loved him. With a huge smile he turned to face his mum. She was already asleep. "I love you mommy," he whispered before kissing her forehead.

Jaeyoon was about to sleep when he felt something vibrated under his pillow. Curious, he reached for the thing and saw "My Taengoo~" calling from his mum's phone. Thinking it was his Uncle Taengoo, he immediately answered the phone. "Uncle Taengoo!!" he whispered excitedly.

"Jaeyoon?"

"Yes Uncle Taengoo?" 

"Oh... Uh nothing. Merry Christmas, Jaeyoon."

Jaeyoon smiled and greeted him back. He then looked at his mum. "Uncle Taengoo, mommy is sleeping so I answered her phone." 

"It's alright. Tell her I said merry christmas okay?"

"Sure Uncle Taengoo. Uncle Taengoo can you not hang up yet?" Jaeyoon subtly begged.

"Why is something wrong?"

"No... Are you having a party uncle Taengoo? Are you celebrating Christmas?"

"Yeah, I'm with my co-workers. How about you? What presents did you recieve? I'm sure there's loads, yeah?"

Jaeyoon scowled, and nothing came out from his mouth but a sigh of concealed sadness. 

"Jaeyoon?"

"Did you get me a ball Uncle Taengoo? You told me you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter