Chapter 13

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was standing on the foyer, tapping his foot gently as he waited for Jaeyoon to come out of the toilet. They were playing basketball in their yard as Jaeyoon continued winging and whining to him about it. He got a new ball and he said he wanted to try it out.

“Uncle Taengoo got me this ball, daddy.”  Jaeyoon had a genuine smile when he told him that. Yul did not know if it was just because Taeyeon and Jaeyoon were genetically related but the both of them immediately emitted chemistry... an affinity, as soon as he watched Jaeyoon sprinting, excited for him to meet his Uncle Taengoo. Sometimes, Yul would ask himself if it was the right decision when he conceded to marry his best friend. To be honest, all the things the fake marriage with Jessica had brought him in were only stress, frustration and unending pressure – he felt like he was imprisoned... he felt like he couldn’t do anything he wanted. He tried to confide in with Tiffany and instead of asking him not to do it, she persuaded him more. She told him that it was for their best friend. She told him it was just for a while. She told him everything would be fine as long as the both of them would not fall out of love with each other.

He believed her.

But everything she had said was not the truth. Everything was not doing fine at all. He was so messed up in his life. He was so pressured, stressed that he actually gave into the temptation of drugs and alcohol that he abhorred before. But what could he possibly do in this predicament? He couldn’t tell anybody about it because he didn’t want to damage the Jung’s reputation as well as his own. Tiffany, his girlfriend, the one he loved before couldn’t help him – Jessica, his best friend, the reason why he agreed to be in this plight in the first place, couldn’t even talk to him as she was apparently still in misery. Alcohol, drugs, – he found refuge and assurance in them that he couldn’t see in any humans around him.

“Daddy I’m done.” Jaeyoon appeared out of the doorway, smiling at him in pure excitement as he grabbed his right hand. “Daddy let’s play more!”

It did not help that every time he sees Jaeyoon the guilt always gnawed on his insides. Would Jaeyoon still smile at me like this if he knows that I lied to him? That I was one of those people who forbid him to be in the arms of his real father? Yul crouched down; the pained expression in his face flagrant. But I don’t have the heart to give you to someone as irresponsible as your father, Jaeyoon. “Daddy’s tired munchkin.”

“No! Daddy please?” Jaeyoon tugged at his hand as he jumped up and down.

Yul sighed and scooped Jaeyoon up to his arms. “Know what? Tell mommy and Auntie Steph to dress up,” Jaeyoon grimaced as Yul leaned on his ear, “we’ll go to a theme park!”

A wide smile broke out of Jaeyoon’s pouty lips. He hugged his dad immediately and kissed his cheek senseless. “I love you daddy!” He exclaimed, jumping out of his daddy’s arm and skipping eagerly towards the living room to call his mum and auntie.

 

***

(At the same time when Yul and Jaeyoon were in the toilet)

Jessica bit her lip as she sat uncomfortably on the sofa. She had her face down as she could not dare to look up and see Tiffany’s inquisitive stare. She had been asking her the reason why she had let Jaeyoon to be with Taeyeon, but in all truth Jessica did not want to give Tiffany the answer.

“Jessica,” Tiffany called; her voice authoritative as if she wanted to the answer straight from her brain.

Jessica was nearly in tears. Her chest felt heavy. Guilt laid like a heavy rock on her heart... and it seemed that the much effort she gave to get it out, the more the weight increased, the more guilty she felt.

She lied. Not only to Tiffany and Yul, but with her family, Jaeyoon and most importantly Taeyeon. Her loved one. The one she loved truly and the one who showed her nothing but kindness and respect.

She couldn’t answer Tiffany – she didn’t want to because she did not want guilt to eat her whole soul soon.

Her eyes glanced quickly at Tiffany as she heard her scoff. “And here I thought I was the one who needed a talk to you but what a twist – it’s my best friend not telling me anything at all!” she slumped down on the couch, crossing her legs as she spared Jessica another glare, “So what now? I’m sure you’re not dumb enough to be with that Taeyeon guy ag – “

“I’m not with him alright?” She cut her off as she finally found the courage to look straight at her best friend. “I just – I do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter