Chapter 5

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaeyoon was lying on his bed. Even though it has been already three months that he was sleeping without his daddy by his side, he still couldn’t get used to it. When his mother tucked him in, he would pretend to sleep because he was waiting for his dad to arrive. However, although sometimes it would take him five hours of waiting, his dad would not arrive.

Jaeyoon has been unhealthy these days but as he would expect, his mommy Jessi would not notice the change. She was always indifferent when it comes to his health. He didn’t even know why he was not able to eat sweets – he didn’t have any illness that prohibited that – so he was really happy when Taengoo ahjussi persuaded his mum to eat ice cream.

Taengoo ahjussi was a very humorous guy. He was like his daddy Yul at some point but Taengoo ahjussi was more frivolous and kid-like than his dad. Daddy Yul was playful but was still a bit serious and strict. Nonetheless, he still enjoyed spending time with his daddy; at least he’s better than his mum - who forbade him into everything a child would like to do. Lucky him Taengoo ahjussi was there when they went to that Pizza shop – at least he got to play – even though not with the kids, he still enjoyed it because he was with Taengoo ahjussi. He enjoyed being with him as he enjoyed his father’s presence.

Jaeyoon lied on his stomach as he thought of something again. From the start, even when they were still in America, it was quite noticeable that his mum would always avoid his dad. For example, when they were having a picnic in the park near the Han River, his mum walked away and left him with his dad. He tried to find her but got lost instead.

However, it was just what he saw, who knows what’s happening behind closed doors.

Jaeyoon was starting to get a bit sleepy. He rubbed his eyes which were already teary from yawning. But then, he heard the front door opened. Jaeyoon immediately jumped out of his bed and ran out of his room. When he got out, he saw his daddy Yul really drunk and his mum was there, supporting him.

Not wanting to disturb them, Jaeyoon hid himself and only peeked at them.

Yul was reeking of alcohol as he unlocked the front door. He saw Jessica on the couch, curled up and with puffy eyes. Although Yul was drunk, he could see that Jessica was still suffering. However, not wanting to add more to her burden that night, he just pretended to be really drunk – it would give him an excuse to comfort Jessica.

“Yul?”

Yul pretended to grunt as he waddled in the living room. Soon, Jessica helped him to their room and laid him on the bed. Yul was expert in this – pretending. He has been pretending for already five years.

When Jessica finished tucking him in the covers, he knew she would go to the living room again and cry. He didn’t like that. He was tired seeing her suffering silently. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her in the bed with him. He hugged her from the back and kissed her cheek.

“I’m here,” he whispered and feigned sleepiness. He heard her muttering a ‘thank you’ in between her sobs. By then, Yul felt the vulnerability and grief in Jessica’s voice; encouraging him to hold her even tighter.

Yul didn’t sleep that night. He just watched Jessica sleeping peacefully – it was a rare sight for him to see Jessica in a peaceful state.

As Jaeyoon watched his parents going up to their room – with much thinking and encouraging to himself – he followed them. He rapped his knuckles on the wooden door and soon tiptoed to twist the doorknob with his two hands. Jaeyoon managed to open the door and the sight on the bed brought a smile on his face.

He could see his dad hugging his mum protectively as she slept. Suddenly, he felt the urge to sleep with them.

“Daddy, can I sleep with you?” He asked carefully.

Daddy Yul smiled sincerely as he made space for him. “Come here, I miss my boy.”

Jaeyoon grinned and quickly climbed on the bed. He hugged his dad and gave his mum a gentle peck on the cheeks.

“Daddy, pat me to sleep please,” he asked and his dad soon patted him slowly.

“Good night, Jaeyoon.”

“Good night daddy,” Jaeyoon whispered before wrapping his limbs around his dad. Jaeyoon had a smile on his face as he slept that night.

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon woke up by the sound of the annoying alarm clock on the stool next to his bed. He kicked the quilt aside but as soon as his eyes opened fully, he felt something throbbing inside his head.

Must be a hangover...

Taeyeon drank himself to sleep last night. Although, he showed a very cheerful and positive side of him when he was in front of Jessica and Jaeyoon, inside he felt like crap. All those time he was keeping his tears and pain to himself but as soon as he entered his house, the tears just couldn’t stop from falling out of his eyes. He swore to himself that he would accept his fate but as he expected, it was difficult. It was extremely strenuous for a human to bear. It would take a lot of tears and pieces of his heart.

He took a deep breath and walked out of his room. He grabbed a glass from the cupboard and got water from the tap. He gulped down the water in one-shot and took a bath.

After taking a bath, Taeyeon wore a white polo and tucked it inside his black pants. He then brushed his hair neatly and donned his black blazer. After wearing his shoes, he immediately walked out of the house, giving no care if he still hasn’t eaten breakfast yet.

Taeyeon hailed a cab and went to the Pizza Hut branch in Jamsil. He looked at his wristwatch and it said that it was already quarter past seven.

Taeyeon bit his lip and politely asked the cab driver that he was in a rush. He couldn’t afford to be late again. He reminded himself that he was already in a higher position, not just a mere pizza delivery boy.

As soon as Taeyeon stepped out of the cab, he immediately saw Mr. Shin in front of the parlour. He smiled and waved at him before making his way toward.

“Taeyeon-ah, you’ve grown so much huh,” Mr. Shin gave his shoulder a few pats while chuckling.

Taeyeon gave a sheepish grin. “Yeah, so how are you?”

“Me? I’m just doing fine. Anyway, were you always taking a cab?”

Taeyeon nodded his head.

“Here,” Mr. Shin put a key inside his hand. “I’m pretty sure you have a bike license so I bought you a motorbike. You can use it for the mean time while we’re still waiting for you to pass your driving test. If you need a car though, ring Mr. Lee and he’d be your chauffeur.”

Taeyeon gulped as he let Mr. Shin’s words digest into his brain first. This wasn’t the first time Mr. Shin surprised him but this was just too much. However, before he could take down the offer, Mr. Shin beat him to it.

“Mr. Lee, show him his motorbike.” He then immediately walked out.

Mr. Lee nodded and gestured Taeyeon to follow him. As Mr. Lee stopped walking, Taeyeon found himself in front of a black MV-Augusta F4CC.

Taeyeon had his jaw dropping and had his eyes almost popping out of their sockets. “This...” he pointed at the motorbike, “is mine?” he asked incredulously.

Mr. Lee gave him a small smile – which Taeyeon found fake once again.

“Mr. Shin gave you day off today so go try your new bike.”

Taeyeon gave a bow and politely shook his hand with him. “Tell Mr. Shin I’m so grateful.”

“Got it.”

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon was wandering around the streets with his new motorbike when he passed by a very familiar figure looking distress. As he recognised the long brown curls of the lady, a smile crawled its way to his lips quickly. And not wasting any more time, he swerved his motorbike on the sidewalk.

When he came nearer, the face of the lady became clearer, and of course the smile behind his helmet got wider.

He took off his helmet and approached her.

“Hey, got a problem?” He asked coolly.

The girl looked at him but as soon as her eyes landed on him, he saw that her face became cold and emotionless again. “Leave me alone.”

Taeyeon bit his lip and walked closer to the girl. “What’s wrong with your car? Maybe I could fix it.” He offered but got turned down almost immediately.

“You don’t even know how to drive a car,” the lady muttered. Somehow, it brought another smile on Taeyeon’s face.

“Oh well... maybe I could give you a lift then?” Taeyeon pointed at his motorbike and as he looked at the girl, it was evident in her eyes that she was shocked.

“I see you have luxurious motorbike but no.”

Taeyeon his lips and shoved his hands inside his pocket. Jessica was always this hard to persuade. “Where are you going then?”

He then heard a frustrated grunt. “It’s none of your business okay?!” She wailed her arms and shoved him away. The sudden outburst frightened Taeyeon but he stood his ground. He could see Jessica’s face contorting and he didn’t know if it was because she’s angry or... something ... It looked more like she’s in pain. Taeyeon didn’t like to see her in pain.

“Sica – “

“Go away.”

Taeyeon touched Jessica’s shoulder but she swatted him away. “Just go the away, will you?!" 

Taeyeon felt himself step back a little bit.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter