Final Chapter

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Final Chapter

 

“Dad!” Jaeyoon screamed. He ran eagerly on the hallway; the soles of his shoes thumping loudly against the wooden floor as the yellow A4 in his left hand dangled in the air as excitedly as he was. He quickly took hold of the doorknob, opening the door without bothering to knock first. “Dad!” He barged in, perspiring with a big grin on his lips.

The man turned his swivel chair around, facing Jaeyoon with a curious lift of an eyebrow. “My boy looks happy, what's this about, huh?”

Jaeyoon proudly lifted up the yellow A4 with bold letters spelling: Grand Winner of Young Artist Award is given to Kim Jaeyoon. “Dad, I win! I win!” He victoriously laughed, launching himself towards the man.

Taeyeon welcomed him in his embrace tightly, feeling the grown up physique of his son. “Congrats! But I'm not at the very least surprised, Jaeyoon. I was certain you could do it!”

“Heh!” Jaeyoon scoffed, pulling out from the hug. “Who else could I probably get it from, huh?”

Taeyeon chuckled and ruffled his hair. “That's my baby boy!”

However, his habit was cut off short by Jaeyoon himself. “Don't mess my hair up! And I'm not a baby anymore, dad!”

Taeyeon shook his head disapprovingly, letting out a sigh of disbelief. “But you let your mum call you baby!”

“'Cause I'm her baby! We're best buddies, remember?”

He just smiled in defeat. “Okay, fine, fine.” He then turned back again to his desk.

Jaeyoon chortled, before he sat himself on top of his dad's lap. “What are you doing?”

Taeyeon put his head on Jaeyoon's shoulder and opened the photobook he was looking at. “Nothing... I'm just looking at our photos.”

“When was this?”

“Hm?” Taeyeon traced Jaeyoon's line of view and saw their first picture as a family. Jaeyoon was in between Taeyeon and Jessica; their faces adorned with blissful smiles. “It was four years ago. You were just six at that time.” He explained as his eyes inevitably found their way towards Jessica's face. “Remember when you first knew I'm your dad?”

Jaeyoon nodded slightly, looking down with embarrassment.

“You were thrashing at that time, calling Yul's name. You said I was just your Uncle. And you kept crying and ignoring me and your mum for a week.” A small smile reached his lips. Though it was a long time ago, he couldn't help but feel the sheer pain of that moment. “I was hurt you know?”

Jaeyoon leaned back on his dad, his apology unsaid. “I was hurt too, you know?” He mockingly replied.

Taeyeon only smiled and gave his temple a quick peck. “But it doesn't matter anymore right? You're a big boy now so you understand us better.”

“Yeah.”

Taeyeon turned to the next page.

“When will Aunt Juhyun come back?”

Taeyeon stared at his sister's face. He reminisced the time when he completely understood what Jaeyoon was feeling when they broke out the news to him – the news that he was actually a Shin, not a Kim; and that Shin Dongwan, his pregnant boss was actually his biological father, and that his reliable secretary, Juhyun was his sister. How crazy could life be? Full of twists and unexpected happenings. At first he didn't know how to cope with all the sudden truth flowing out – how his life was almost a lie. But thanks to Jessica, Jaeyoon and all the people who helped him overcome them all, he made it. “I don't know. Probably not soon. She and your Uncle Yonghwa are planning to build their own company in New York.”

Jaeyoon nodded. “What about Grandpa Dongwan?”

Taeyeon snickered, looking at the old man carrying a crying Jaeyoon in his arm. “He's with Juhyun, remember? So probably not soon, too.”

Jaeyoon sighed. “I miss them, dad. When they call, remind Grandpa of his promise to me.”

“And what is that?”

“That's a secret! Okay, next page!”

The photobook was filled with their pictures together. All of them were bright, joyful, and happy. Not a single picture in the book contained sadness, except baby Jaeyoon's crying faces sometimes. There was Tiffany and Yul, too – their photos when they finally got married – Jessica was the bridesmaid and he was the best man. Not long after when Yul finally recovered, he and Taeyeon quickly became friends. Jessica and Yul were not actually married, it was just a contract marriage they signed to act out the pretence.

At the last pages, his marriage with Jessica adorned the six pages of the photobook. It was the happiest moment of his life. When the both of them vowed to love each other for the rest of their lives, unconditionally against all odds. When they let their love bloom even more in front of their families and friends. It was blissful, almost a fantasy.

“Dad, how did you meet mum?”

Taeyeon's face immediately flushed. “That...” He stuttered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter