Chapter 18

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There could never be another day that was as horrid and terrifying as that day. The rain poured down heavily from the ominous, grey clouds, as if sympathising over her predicament.

Nothing was going right.

The police was no help. 

Taeyeon wasn't there.

She was all alone, waiting, crying, mourning, hoping that the police officers investigating in her house would finally find something to give them any insight on what was happening. 

She glanced at the clock - 12pm. It's been more than half an hour since the police came and over an hour already since she had called Taeyeon. She tried to call him multiple times already but he never picked up the phone. Same as Tiffany; she didn't care if she was already swallowing down her pride and being indignant and shameless - she just wanted a companion. She just wanted someone to hold her as she felt she could deplete into tiny pieces any moment. The thought of losing Jaeyoon never crossed her mind and now that it seemed to be happening, she couldn't accept it. All the air had been out of her body - her brain couldn't funtion properly - she was trembling - mortified as the thought refused to leave her alone.

If there weren't any officers keeping her in place, she would've gone already to find her son herself. She was that desperate. She was that afraid to lose her only son.

Pacing back and forth, she nibbled on her nails. Her heart wouldn't stop from beating in a very fast pace she thought she could suffer from heart attack. She was so nervous. So, so nervous.

Suddenly, the front door slammed open. Jessica's eyes widened as a sigh of relief went out of her shaking lips. Taeyeon came in, running and soaking from the rain. A deep frown of worry and trepidation was flagrant on his face as the both of them locked their eyes together.

The police officers stopped Taeyeon from barging in completely and gave Jessica a questioning look - in which she had responded quickly with a nod. She ran towards him and immediately wrapped her arms around him, not caring if he was drenched. No one could ever comfort her as how Taeyeon could. Just seeing him being there gave Jessica a tiny bit more of hope.

"Sica, what's happening? Where's Jaeyoon?" Taeyeon asked, teeth gritting.

Jessica had no option but to shake her head. She pulled slightly away from him and stared at his eyes. Both of them reflected the same emotions as their gazes met. Jessica began crying. "Taeyeon, let's find Jaeyoon," she pleaded as she pulled his collars.

However,Taeyeon was still in the stage of incredulity. What was happening? He just talked to Jaeyoon last night! "Sica..." his lips trembled as he took hold of Jessica's hands. He still couldn't accept the situation. It was so absurd... and sudden. He gulped, swallowing down the words he wanted to say as he had completely forgotten to even form words on his tongue. He was in utter disbelief.

Jessica continued weeping away, and the officers were still not giving up to find any evidences that would lead them to whoever was responsible for her son's disappearance. 

Taeyeon however decided to be valiant and sensible. He knew nothing would go right if Jessica was in that situation and he at least needed to help. Taking a deep breath, he hugged her closer and tighter. "We'll find him, Sica..." he assured, as he tried to be positive for the both of them. But Jessica was in absolute turmoil.

Taeyeon let go of her as a police officer approached them, with a devastated look on his face. Taeyeon grimaced. "Miss Jung, I'm afraid we couldn't find anything that would lead us to the suspect or the location of your son. However, the first thing we noticed as soon as we came in was that there was no sign of intrusion, so there is a possibility that somebody that is close to you, or have an access in this house is the suspect. Do you have any speculations, Miss Jung?"

Jessica's cries eventually ceased, as a thought struck her. "Steph?"

Taeyeon stared at her, eyes widened while the police officer listened carefully. "Can you please elaborate more?" 

Jessica stood up straight as her trembling hand searched for Taeyeon's hand. When she found it, she gripped it tightly as she felt her energy just went down the drain. How could Tiffany possibly... do that? "Stephanie... my best friend. She has a spare key to my house." She stated while staring into space.

"So why do you think she did this Miss Jung? Did you have any conflict with her?"

Jessica gulped down as she reluctantly glanced at Taeyeon. "Y-yes. I've... I've told her a big lie... A big lie that... changed her life... that made her suffer... that made her do sacrifices for me... But she found out about it. I-I think she's so mad at me that she's doing this."

"Jessica are you sure? I've seen you with her and Jaeyoon and even though she was not that nice to me, I think she cared a lot for him." Taeyeon rebuked.

Jessica bit her lip. Taeyeon was right... but what if Tiffany wanted to have a revenge on her and used Jaeyoon for it? What if she was blinded with rage, as she was now in despair? "But that was before I told her the truth."

All of them went silent.

Jessica scratched her head. She couldn't take it anymore! Nothing was happening and as long as the clocks moved, Jaeyoon could be in danger, or already in danger. She needed to do something! She couldn't just stand there and wait for a miracle to happen! "Taeyeon, I'm gonna find Jaeyoon," she mumbled with certain determination. But Taeyeon kept her still.

"No, Jessica, stay. The police will be working on it. Let's just wait okay?"

"No! Taeyeon how could I stay here doing nothing? My son's in danger, I need to save him!"

Taeyeon's teeth clenched as he held her wrist tighter. "I know. I also couldn't take to do this anymore. But Jessica, we couldn't do anything at all. We could just wait and pray that they could finally find something. So stay, Jessica please. You could be in danger, too, and I - we don't want that."

"I'm not staying! If I need to sacrifice my life for Jaeyoon to live, I'd do it. So let go!" Jessica berated as she wagged her arm from Taeyeon's grip. But he was stronger than her.

"Would you listen to me? I said stay!" He tried not to shout but Jessica was being unbelievably stubborn.

"No goddamnit! Your freaking son is out in the danger, Kim Taeyeon! Your son!"

"Jes - what?" Taeyeon tilted his head. Jessica on the other hand quickly put her hand to cover . It slipped. Her secret had slipped out of her own mouth. She shook her head, and looked elsewhere but him. "Jessica what did you say?"

Jessica still refused to look at him.

Confused and quite annoyed, he held her by her shoulders and turned her to face him. "You said Jaeyoon is my son?" 

Unyielding and internally giving herself a beating, Jessica avoided his gaze again.

Taeyeon had his mouth ajar in sheer astonishment. Suddenly, everything made sense. From the physical similarities, t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter