Excluded #4: Happy?

Hero of Ice

"Haeyoung, you came to visit." Dr. Song's smile was always heartwarming to the little boy. Although Jaejoong was back at his father's place, consistently studying and mastering just about everything, he would come to the hospital to cool off. It was like a treat for him. The hospital no longer angered him. He didn't tense up at its white walls and the face of the Song family.

No, now he walked in with a grin on his face. He was happy here. Here, Jaejoong was able to say anything he wanted without being judged. Well, almost everything. He didn't have any trouble telling everything to the head doctor but to Minji, it was a little hard to give her his real name. He knew the day would come some day but he wasn't able to muster up any courage of late yet. That's why her father was still calling him by his fake name. 

"So what have you been up to, Haeyoung?" Dr. Song asked. 

"Yesterday, I held a gun for the first time." Jaejoong exclaimed cheerfully. Mr. Song's eyes widened and Jaejoong laughed at his bewilderment. "I didn't kill anyone." He continued before the doctor could make any assumptions. 

"Oh, really?" The doctor asked sarcastically.

"One of father's workers came in yesterday and I asked him to teach me how to use it." Jaejoong narrated. "I took him to our soundproof room in the basement and he taught me how to shoot."

"How's your aim?" 

Jaejoong pouted. "I'm getting there."

The doctor ruffled his hair a little. "So what else have you achieved in the last month I haven't seen you?"

"I am now learning middle school material. I have improved in my cooking. I know how to make father's favourites foods. Oh, and I started to look after mum's rose bush." The excitement in Jaejoong's tone of voice exhilarated the doctor as well. "I've almost got my blackbelt. Ah and I..."

Before Jaejoong could finish, the doctor had crouched down and hugged him tightly. To be honest, he was getting a little teary. This boy before him, was trying so hard. Jaejoong had sacrificed everything for his father. He had lost his childhood. He didn't have any friends and no mother to care for him. Dr. Song felt a great pain in his chest. If only there was something that he could do for this child, just so he can live as a little boy even for just a day, he would do it. But nothing came to mind. Song Jaerim knew Jaejoong's father. He knew how hard-headed that man could be. So all that he could do was spare some time to listen to Jaejoong. 

"Mr. Song." Jaejoong fidgeted in the embrace.

"You're such a good boy." Mr. Song crooned. "Your father will come to love you some day." He let go of the boy.

Jaejoong wore a confused expression but then a large smile broke through. "I'd like to think so." Jaejoong chirped. "Right now, my father is quite reluctant to use his expenses on me. But he has done so, therefore I would like to think that slowly, he is starting to like me."

"That's good to hear." Mr. Song smiled back encouragingly.

"Mr. Song, you know how I told you that I have been sneaking into father's office when he's not home, just to read the cases he's working on." Jaejoong was ranting on again. "I read something very interesting, do you want me to tell you?"

Before the doctor could even nod, there was a knock at the door and a man walked in with a small parcel. "This is for you Mr. Song Jaerim."

"Yes, that's me." Mr. Song responded and signed a device. The postman left soundlessly while the two scrutinised the package. "Ah, I know what it is." Mr. Song realised. "Want to see it, Haeyoung?" Jaejoong earnestly nodded. The doctor opened the box, and there was a velvet box within it. He flipped it open revealing a shiny pendant in the shape of a snowflake. 

"It's very..." Jaejoong had trouble finding the right word to describe it. "Girly." He went with that. "Are you going to wear it, Mr. Song?"

Mr. Song broke out into a hearty laughter. "No, Haeyoung." He chuckled. "This is for my wife. It's our anniversary in two days."

"Ohhhh...." 

"One day, you'll want to do it too Haeyoung."

"Do what?" Jaejoong asked curiously. 

Mr. Song chuckled again. "Give something girly to the person you love."

"Love?" Jaejoong soured at the word. "I'm never going to fall in love." But he didn't know yet. He didn't know that in that heart of his, he had already fallen in love. 

 

 

Despite the summer, the night still felt chilly. It has been a month since I started my medical course and I had just settled in my new apartment. Right now, I was standing outside at the balcony, looking out to the lighted buildings. Towards the left was Song hospital. On my right was Seoul University. The location was perfect. I smiled but shivered at the same time. 

I heard the sliding door open but didn't pay much attention to it. There was only one person here with me in this cosy apartment. Jaejoong s his arms around my chest and nestled his chin on my shoulder. I was comforted my his warmth. 

"What are you doing out here?" His voice was huskier than usual. 

"Just looking." I said. "The view is very different at night."

"I agree." He commented. "Aren't you cold?"

I nodded then felt his embrace tighten. Slowly, my hand found his forearms and held onto them. Being hugged by him was pleasant, but being able to have him within my grasps made everything feel real. The fact that I was able to be with Jaejoong here was still a dream to me. However many people adored him, he still chose me. I was glad. Gradually I turned to look at him. I found it quite a shock to see that he was already watching me with a penetrating stare. "Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, my voice shaking a little.

He cleared his throat and looked at the night sky. "Your eyes. They reminded me of stars." He explained. "And I remembered when you first kissed me. It was under a starry night, remember?"

I blushed. I looked up to see that there were no stars tonight. Trying to calm my embarrassed self, I was aware of Jaejoong's arms sliding down to loop around my waist. His right hand found my left hand and started to interlace our fingers. "Can I get another one?" He questioned me mischieviously.

I turned back to give him a defiant glare but in a split second, he pecked my lips. Stunned for a second, I immediately furrowed my brows feigning irritation. 

Jaejoong chuckled a little and then let go of me. The cold air crept between the space between us. The only warmth from Jaejoong was his right hand in mine. He turned me away from the balcony rail to face him instead. "Too bad, there's no stars tonight. I can't see your pouty expression."

"I am not pouting." I lied defiantly. 

Jaejoong only laughed again. "Oh wait, I think I found a star." He continued. I was puzzled and turned to search the sky for it. "It's over here." Jaejoong interrupted my investigation. I looked back at him, only to see him holding out his left hand before me in a tight fist. His hand started to bloom like a flower and then I saw something glistening with the smallest lights of the night. In his hand was, a diamond ring. 

Before I knew it, Jaejoong was on his knees, still clenching my left hand tightly. "Minji." I felt butterflies when he crooned my name. "This ring here was given to me by my father just recently. Although it isn't as elegant as others, it was my mother's, so this ring here is one that I value with all my heart. I am entrusting you with this ring, just like I am, with my heart. Will you accept this ring and this heart of mine? Will you marry me, Minji?"

I felt like I had been hit with lightning. My whole body was sizzling. I was not ready for this proposal. How could he pull this out on me so suddenly? I jerked back a little but his grasp held me in place. "Jaejoong... I" I was at a lost for words. 

"I wasn't going to take no for an answer." He stated sternly, tightening the grip on my hand. He played a side smirk as well. 

My legs felt like jelly but I had somehow managed to gradually crouch down to his level. We kept our eyes locked on each other. I broke into a delighted smile. "I wasn't going to say no." I admitted. "But to be married so soon... at least let me finish medicine first."

Jaejoong's smile didn't falter. "As long as it's a yes, I'm happy with that."

I didn't know why I was suddenly crying. "Yes." I was overjoyed. "It's a definite yes!" Satisfied, Jaejoong slid the ring into place then he hoisted me by the waist into the air. 

"Ahhhh, Jaejoong put me down!" I bellowed. He lost his hold of me but then caught me in his arms again, this time supporting me in a bridal carry. I punched him but it had no affect on him. "Are you crazy? Stop scaring the daylights out of me."

He faltered again making me earnestly sling my arms around his neck. My eyes which were closed tight could only hear Jaejoong laugh into the night. I opened my eyes, only to see him smiling enchantingly at me. "Want to rehearse for our wedding night?" He suggested. 

I blushed and shook my head frantically. Jaejoong ignored it and headed towards my bedroom. "Jaejoong." I began nervously. "Hey, what are you doing?" He dropped me on my bed and crept over me. I was going to scramble off but he put his knee between my legs and his hands over my shoulders, securing me into place. I tried to push him away but he was too strong. 

He smiled at my futile actions. "I won't do anything tonight. I'm just rehearsing." I didn't trust his words. "I promise." He assurred me. Promise was such a heavy word to use. I was surprised that he had said that. Jaejoong pulled back to examine my lying figure. He smiled at me and I curiously tried to search through his thoughts. His words sounded contradictory. "Let's see." He interlocked our hands and hovered his lips over my wrist. "I'll kiss you here." I watched him but his lips didn't touch my skin. "And here." He had advanced to my chest. I was wearing a plain T shirt but I could feel his hot breath seep through the fabric between my s. He hovered to my neck and inched in closer to area near my ear below my jawline. "I'll kiss you here as well." He breathed. My body tingled. He was so close but he didn't bridge the gap. I gulped. He had planned it all along. He was teasing me. 

"And here." He was back to his earlier position, hands over my shoulders but edging close enough to put a millimeter between our lips. "It'll be fun." He added and then pulled back.

But I grabbed him by the neck of his shirt and hoisted him back in to lock our lips. I could feel his grimace emerging from his triumpant teasing and disconnected. "Happy now?"

His hearty laughter erupted in the dark room. "Very." He chuckled.

My lips thinned. "Good." I said but I didn't stop at that. My hand pinched his nose, hard. I was a little happy to hear him wail in pain. He couldn't have his way all the time. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AN:

I am going to leave this story at this. It has been enjoyable writing up Hero Of Ice. I'm sure Minji and Jaejoong will always be a part of me now. But I need to dedicate more of my time to studies and find time to work on Rekindled Flame. Again thank you for reading this story of mine. Feel free to comment, subscribe and upvote.

whitedreamm