Epilogue: Enlightenment

Hero of Ice

"Jaejoong!"

Jaejoong could hear Minji crying out to him. Jaejoong was at the wall of the cliff hanging on for his life but it wasn't only his that he was concerned about. Wrapped tightly around his legs was Song Jaehee.

The older man failed to fall to his death without a fight. "I am dragging you down with me, boy!"

Jaejoong was breaking a sweat. His two hands clung at a rock ledge as tight as possible and calculated the amount of time he had left before he would lose his grip. And yet, he managed to break into a smirk. "One question. Where would my final destination be, Song Jaehee?"

Minji's uncle lip thinned as he contemplated about Jaejoong's question. "That's is quite a tricky question." He admitted. "You were vengeful as a child towards my brother but then you grew to be an exceptional young man. I'd say that you'll end up in heaven."

Jaejoong saw a glint of frustration in his eyes. And then he laughed. It was a laugh that reverberated in the winter night. "Wrong." He told the elder man. "In the end, I will go to Song Minji. Even if you kill me and take away my last breath, I will still return to Minji. You can't take me away from her."

The uncle glared at the boy. "Just watch me." He snarled and began tugging at Jaejoong's legs, ing harder and harder. 

"I still think I answered you correctly nine years ago." Jaejoong said finally releasing a hand off the cliff. He rummaged through his tuxedo to grab a sharp pocket knife. He rammed it deep into the wall. It was much more stable than clinging onto the damp rocks. "Angels don't exist in this world. Yes, Minji is as kind-hearted as one but she is still human. She feels pain and grief just like everyone else. You probably think that this place is a hellhole but that is your own contribution that you have made for this world. Minji on the other hand, tries to make this world a better place for everyone." Jaejoong looked down at Jaehee. "Even for someone who has been planning her murder for over ten years."

Jaehee wasn't looking directly at the boy. But his harsh rocking had stopped. Instead he clung tightly to the boy's legs, as if seeking comfort from the boy. "What is wrong with you people?" His voice was a distinct wail. "I'm trying to kill you here! Shouldn't you be afraid? Shouldn't you beg me for mercy? Shouldn't you be boiling with hatred towards me!? WHY ARE YOU BEING SO GOOD TO ME?!"

There was silence. Jaehee then decided to look up to the boy whose words were wiser than his. His eyes glistened with tears. Jaejoong stared back grimly. "How can I hate you when you remind me so much of me? The bottled anger. The dissatisfaction with your life." Jaejoong turned back to top of the cliff. "Hang on. I'm going to hoist us up." Jaejoong grinned. Right now, it felt like Minji's uncle had been enlightened.

He let go of the rock and hung by the knife. His free hand retrieved a mini bow and arrow set from inside his belt buckle. With two hands hanging onto the handle of the knife and positioning the arrow for its target, Jaejoong successfully struck an area near the top of the cliff. At the end of the arrow was a strong string which had been securely wounded within his belt buckle. Before the climb, Jaejoong gave the man a genuine smile. "The perks of being a chief commissioner's son, right?"

Jaehee's expression only softened at the sight. "Please tell Minji that I'm sorry." He muttered nervously. "And tell Yunho that too."

"Mr. Song, you can't possibly back out now. Minji would be devastated if you didn't make it." Jaejoong turned to the man anxiously and tried to reason with the man. "You don't even fear death. Why can't you be brave enough to apologise to your niece yourself?"

"I apologise to you too, Jaejoong." Minji's uncle managed to smile. "Minji is so lucky to have you."

"No." Jaejoong shook his head. "I'm the one whose lucky to have Minji. So Mr. Song, please hang on for a little longer." Jaejoong gave him an encouraging nod and began to climb upwards.

"You're right, Jaejoong. I don't fear death." Jaehee mumbled through the climb. "I fear with living with guilt for the rest of my life. What I have done is unforgivable but they would forgive me anyway. I can't live with that." 

Jaejoong felt the man's arms loosen and kept climbing. "No. Mr. Song. You can't let go now. You have to hold on so you can be with Minji."

Jaehee chuckled a little. "Minji is my beloved niece. I will always be with her, even in death. But for now, it's goodbye, Jaejoong." And he let go.

"MR. SONG, NO!"

 

"Hey." Jaejoong looked at Yunho tearing up on the other side of the hospital bed. He then turned to Minji on the hospital bed, crying silently as well. The two of them became more and more sullen as Jaejoong recounted Jaehee's last words.

But Jaejoong wasn't really concerned about their sulky composure. He was more infuriated in what the two are doing. Realising that Minji and Yunho were unaware of it themselves, he rose from his chair and separated the two hands that were seeking each other for comfort.

He gave Yunho a fierce demeanour. "Just because your father's death saddened you doesn't give you right to hold my girlfriend's hand."

Yunho brushed away his tears and tilted his head low. "I'm sorry. It was an accident. My father..." Yunho broke off there. If he spoke any more he would be drowning in tears again.

"At least uncle is at peace." Minji couldn't help but say. Her smile illuminated her face as well as the cheek-stained tears. "I'm happy with that." The two gave a look at each other. 

Jaejoong stared at them in slight envy. Somehow he managed to leap over the bed and plant himself between the patient and his best friend. Yunho and Minji looked at him in shock. He had just jumped over a hospital bed after all. Awkwardly, Jaejoong began to break the silence. "If you guys need a hand, I can offer it to you." He held out both of his hands. 

Yunho and Minji stared at the hands at that moment. Then Minji clung to Jaejoong's left hand and Yunho clung onto Jaejoong's right hand simultaneously. The room was filled with sounds of indistinguishable wails and laughter. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AN:

short epilogue for my lovely readers. 

thanks to you, I have reached 100 subscribers. I'm so happy!!!

so as a gift for you all, I have written an epilogue for you.

it's also a valentine's gift. Happy VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

just going to let you know that even though Hero of Ice is officially completed, I still plan to update this story with small snippets of scenes I was unable to include in the story just because it would lengthen the story's deadline. So hang on in there. There's more to the story, Hero of Ice.

sweet dreams, 

whitedreamm