Second Chill

Hero of Ice

                        I stared at Jaejoong dumbfounded. Did he just slap me? If he hadn't, then why was my left cheek searing with pain? Hana looked shocked and released Jaejoong. Yunho and Junsu were saying words that I wasn't really listening to. I was just looking at Jaejoong, probably searching for a sign of guilt on his facial expression, or even on his body. He showed none and that made me pity him. How could someone be so cold, cold as ice?

            Kimmi ran up to me and pulled me away from Jaejoong's gaze. The sound around me was now audible when I saw the terrified look on her face. "Are you okay Minni?" She cried with concern.

            I nodded slowly. "I'm fine." My voice was dry.

            Yunho confronted Jaejoong, one fist raised. "Why did you do that to her?" He stammered. "She's only a girl."

            Jaejoong smirked. "Do you really want to punch me? You know I will defend myself."

            I swiftly went between Jaejoong and Yunho. There was no way I wanted any conflict to start just because of one slap. I looked to Yunho and shook my head, his fist slowly dropped to his side. I turned to Jaejoong and gave him a straight face. "We don't want to be like you." I said simply then grabbed the broom that I had dropped on the floor earlier. I began to sweep the room. Kimmi helped me and Junsu helped Yunho finish the other duties. Hana isolated herself and grabbed a seat, turning on her mp3 player. And Jaejoong just stormed out of the classroom. I felt my chest heave out a large amount of air. My heart relaxed.

 

                        "Mum?" I searched the house for her when I first arrived home. "Mum, where are you?"

            I could smell the aroma of noodle soup in the kitchen so I rushed there. Mum wasn't there though but the stove was still on and the soup was boiling. I decided to put my bag away upstairs.

            Suddenly when I reached the top of the staircase, a hand covered my mouth and another held my two hands, keeping them behind my back. Naturally I tried to break free but another person appeared and duct taped my mouth, so the person behind me could hold me down firmly.

            "Want to see your parents?" The man in front of me showed his toothless grin. He had scrawly hair on his chin that was growing into a beard. Furthermore there was a scar above his left eye, which made him look scary. The person behind me urged me forward towards the main bedroom. They opened the door and let me in. I first turned to the king size bed. On its sheets lay two bodies, both recognisable despite the multiple wounds and bruises on the faces and bodies. My cries were like loud mumbles through the duct tape. I tried to break free from the murderers but they kicked me down and made me kneel on the ground. Tears began to well up in my eyes as I took in reality. My parents were both dead before me.

            "We'll help you reach them." The toothless man sneered and they put an opaque grey plastic bag over my head.

            I screamed, terrified and jerked awake from my nightmare. It was more of a memory than just a bad dream. I had once again, relived the death of my beloved parents and I felt just like I did back when I was ten, frightened and helpless. Up and alert, I was aware that I couldn't make any noise. The mistress was frantic when I first arrived and constantly had this same nightmare. I placed a palm on my forehead and felt cold sweat against my fingertips. Then I kicked the blanket off me despite the cold night. It had been a while since I had relived that day. And I knew that every time I did, I would become an insomniac. 

            I went to grab a glass of warm water because I knew it eased me when I was anxious. While in the kitchen, I heard footsteps coming downstairs. The heavy step-by-step sound could only be Junsu's; he was the only man in the house.

            "Hey sis," he greeted me delightfully. His short hair was sticking in all directions. "Bad dream again?"

            I nodded and took a sip from my cup.

            "Wow it's 3 am!" Junsu announced as he looked at the time, then he gulped down his glass of milk. "You'd better get some sleep. We still have school tomorrow."

            "You too." I suggested and looked at him. His face was stern and serious but it had a milk moustache on it. I chuckled lightly and grabbed a tissue. "Clean up before you go though." I passed the wipe to him.

            He immediately cleaned his mouth then looked at me, a sad smile appeared on his face. "Is your cheek okay?"

            "Of course." I reassured him. "He probably went easy on me." I patted him on the head. Junsu was like a little brother to me and I didn't want to frighten him. I wanted him to know that I was okay, even though I actually wasn't. 

            He fell for it. I could tell by the way he tangled up my dark brown wavy hair with his free hand and also by the way his smirk widened, showing all his teeth. "Goodnight," he said adorably and he headed upstairs again with his heavy footsteps. I was sure it was going to be a good night if I didn't sleep for the rest of it.

            "You're up early." The mistress greeted me in the kitchen. It was 6 am. The stove was sparkling and the bench tops smelt of lemons. The truth was that I had stayed up the rest of the night cleaning. "Don't forget to prepare some healthy meals for breakfast," she ordered.

            "Yes," I had learnt that I had to be frank but succinct with the mistress. She was a woman with a sweet tone, slim and beautiful, but she had no concern for anyone else but herself and her children, Junsu and Hana. I was only a foster child of hers.

            I looked grimly at the clean kitchen. I had just cleaned it and now I had to mess it up again. What a shame. Hana entered the kitchen in her school uniform after an hour or so later. We locked eyes for a moment and then she turned away. We haven't spoken since the slapping incident. She opened the fridge and brought out the jug of orange juice I had freshly squeezed. I handed a glass to her and she took it reluctantly.

            "Thank you," she muttered. I nodded once and turned away. "Thank you for yesterday too, and sorry."

            I looked back at her and gave her a genuine smile. "It's okay, no worries," I could feel her chest lighten as she sighed slowly. I, myself felt relieved. "What are you doing?" Hana returned to her normal self, the type who always gives orders. "Go set up the table for four, and don't ever think of skipping breakfast like you usually do."

 

                        I decided to go to school early although Junsu said that the three of us should walk together. I had finished all my chores and had eaten a bite of toast with a sip of orange juice. I had nothing else to do at home and so I got ready and left the house early. When I reached the school, it was still deserted. Only a few teachers were present at the time. I walked around the school grounds once then I headed to my classroom. Still no one was there yet.

            I sunk into my chair and started on some homework that was due next week. I tried to keep my eyes open but I was tired. My writing became blurry and there seemed to be more than one copy of the one sheet. And then it went dark.

 

                        I started to hyperventilate as they were suffocating me. The same grey bag was over my head, decreasing my oxygen intake, and the rough hands grabbed at my throat tightly, blocking my airways. I could hear the soft fast crinkling of the bag as I fought for air. My head twisted in all directions as if it could escape the hands that held my neck in place.

            My eyes flung open as I gasped for air. I started to cough and my hand tried to tear the imaginary grip on my neck away. Instead, I felt sweat all over my neck and face. The bright light seemed to dim as I took in my surroundings. I knew I was back in the classroom. What I didn't know was that a familiar face was staring at me from across my desk.

            Jaejoong had one hand on my desk and had leaned in from across the table to examine me. His cold look wasn't too close for comfort but it was close enough to startle me. I in a breath and fell backwards off my chair.

            "Are you okay?" Jaejoong went around the desk and crouched beside me and handed a pen. My pen. "You dropped this."

            One hand grabbed my pen and another held the desk so that I could lift myself up while I ignored the pain all over my body. I hissed when my wrist joint felt out of place but then I remembered Jaejoong was still there and tried to hide the pain. "Thank you," I added politely and tried to focus on my paperwork again but Jaejoong started to laugh hysterically. Curiously, I looked at him.

            "You looked so funny when you fell," he spoke between laughs, "Did you see yourself?"

            I ignored him and turned back to my work.

            "Hey!" he added in dissatisfaction, grabbing me by the wrist to face him. My face scrunched up and the pen in my hand dropped to the floor as I felt the same pain as earlier. He quickly let go and looked away. "Why do you stay away from me?" he asked all of a sudden, but focused on a desk at the back of the room.

            "Because I don't think we can have a pleasant conversation with each other." I responded honestly.

            Jaejoong snickered after a moment of silence and turned my way. "Wish more people were like you, then it wouldn't be so annoying." A smile was plastered on his face but his blue black eyes didn't show signs of happiness. I just couldn't pin point what they represented. 

            "Well isn't this lovely?" Yunho entered the room. He looked neat with his hair gelled up and a tidy set of school clothes. "It's like it's fate."

            "What do you mean by fate?" Jaejoong asked.

            Yunho smiled. "This is a perfect opportunity for you to apologise to Lee Minni, which I doubt you have done."

            Jaejoong turned to me again. He had a straight face and I really couldn't tell what he was thinking. His eyes were again enchanting, but I looked at his pale pink lips because that was what was going to utter the next words. Somehow, I really wanted to know what he was going to say next.