First Chill

Hero of Ice

                        The clock was ticking, it was already ten minutes past the start of the school day. The whiteboard marker in the teacher's hand was squeaking as he scrawled a mathematical problem on the board. As he gave a practical answer to the problem, I noticed that he had made a mistake halfway through, but I kept quiet.

            When I finished note taking, I glimpsed around the classroom so that I wouldn't get drowsy. I sat in the front row to the left by the window. To my right was Jung Yunho, the class leader. He looked neat and refreshing and very smart in his glasses. His hazel hair was gelled up, keeping his fringe out of his face. He turned my way and gave me a smile. I smiled meekly in return then looked behind me at my friend, Han Kimmi. Her long black hair covered her features as she faced down and concentrated on her work. I personally found it adorable how she tries so hard. From Kimmi, I looked out the window. Outside there was no snow. I grinned sadly and turned back to the teacher as he began to write a new equation.

            "Excuse me." Yunho began but he was suddenly interrupted by a slamming sound at the classroom door. Kim Jaejoong stood at the door that he had opened aggressively. Everyone jerked awake and turned to look at him. As usual, he had a loose tie and messy jet black hair. His backpack was slung over one shoulder and he had a lollipop in his mouth.

            "Sorry I'm late." He mumbled before closing the door and going to a vacant desk at the back of the room. I must say, I have never met anyone as rude as him but loved by a majority of the girls at school. I knew he had the looks and the guts but his attitude was inappropriate. I had no right to say that aloud though whatsoever.

            Unfortunately, when Jaejoong enters the room, the class is never at peace. When all heads were turned to the teacher, a deafening sound was heard from the back. Jaejoong had put on a pair of headphones and was listening to rock music on full blast. I tried to ignore him and turned to look at the teacher but he was no longer at the whiteboard. The teacher had stormed to the back of the class and slammed his book on Jaejoong's desk.

            Jaejoong removed his headphones and smiled maliciously at the teacher. "Why, what a privilege to have Mr. Hwang come to my desk." The cynical tone made a few girls smile along or maybe it was just because they adored his smile. Park Yoochun snickered at his cold humour. I turned to my textbook and decided to start on my homework.

            "Kim Jaejoong!" Mr Hwang spoke sternly. "Can you please turn down your music. You are disturbing the class."

            Jaejoong gave a sarcastic chuckle. "And why should I care about the class?"

            "Because they care about you."

            "And you think I should believe a lousy teacher like you?"

            I turned to look at Jaejoong at his last remark. He had just insulted a teacher, again. The teacher clenched his text tightly, but Jaejoong continued.

            "You see what you wrote on the board there, the fourth line is wrong." Jaejoong pointed out. "Furthermore, you fail to fulfill your duties responsibly," he snatched the textbook out of Mr. Hwang's hand, "by hiding in your school materials." Jaejoong opened the book and revealed a smaller book in it, that was as he said, .

            The class gasped; the girls were disgusted and the guys wanted to grab a chance to see the book for themselves. Yunho laughed loudly beside me, diverting my attention to him.

            "Jaejoong brings a different touch to the class, doesn't he?" He asked me since I was the one closest to him looking at him.

            I just nodded. At least Jaejoong was a good distraction from the memories that I never want to relive again.

            "Detention!" Mr Hwang yelled angrily. Everyone in the class was laughing hysterically now. Even I was smiling.

 

                        The teacher handed out our test results from last week. I smiled at my paper. In red was a whopping score of 98. Yunho peered over at my test and held out his palm. 

            "High five. We got the same score."

            I did so reluctantly and looked up at the teacher.

            "As usual, Minni and Yunho have shown outstanding results in their biology assignment. Unfortunately they are responsible for cleaning duties today but because they scored the highest, they are allowed to choose one classmate each to help out."

            The class groaned but Kimmi shot her hand up. "I volunteer!" She cried and I felt my lips pull into a smile. The teacher looked delighted and Yunho gave Kimmi a thumbs up. Kimmi flushed and bowed her head down. 

            "That can be Minni's victim." Yunho said. "I already have someone I wanted to pick on."

            The students began to whisper among themselves. Yoochun nervously tapped Yunho on the shoulder. "Who is it?" He curiously asked hoping it wasn't himself.

            "Kim Jaejoong!" Yunho boomed, his voice loud and clear even Jaejoong heard it with his headphones on.

            Everyone turned to Yunho's victim. Jaejoong seemed appalled but he kept his cool. "What?"

            Yunho turned to the teacher and completely ignored Jaejoong. "Ms. Oh, Jaejoong has detention after school today but I was wondering if this could be a substitute." Yunho explained. "I've already spoken to Mr. Hwang and he believes that cleaning is better than lazing around if you could only give your permission."

            "It seems reasonable." Ms Oh considered. "Permission granted! As usual you have demonstrated great characteristics as a leader and a model student. Jaejoong has been failing so far and so it is only fair that he receives some punishment."

            Yunho smiled proudly while Jaejoong swore under his breath and the bell rang to end the day. Everyone scrambled out except for the four of us. I watched as the last of them left. Yoochun winked. "Aren't you a smart little cookie, Minni?" He praised then walked out the door.

            "Hey! Where are my compliments?" Yunho yelled but he didn't come back. "I'm your best friend."

            "Let's get started!" Kimmi was at my desk now shouting with enthusiasm. Then a column of desks toppled one after the other like dominoes. Jaejoong looked out the window ignoring the tables that had fallen, including his own.

            "Yes Jaejoong, we know you have the ability to cause chaos wherever you go." Yunho spoke monotonously. "But can you please just do the right thing for once?" Jaejoong ignored him and Yunho put his hands on his hips. "Looks like we need some fresh air." Yunho continued. He wrapped his arms around Jaejoong's waist and tried to carry him. "Just give us a moment ladies." He struggled to smile at us while Jaejong tried to break free. Kimmi laughed at the absurd scene. I was intrigued too, the way the guys carried each other looked like they were gay lovers. Eventually, Jaejoong grabbed Yunho's arm and twisted it behind his back.

            Kimmi gasped and I watched, feeling a little fearful.

            "I know what you're capable of, Jaejoong." Yunho spoke sternly, he was very serious now. "But we need to talk and the only way to shut me up is to kill me."

            The boys glared at each other for a while, then Jaejoong released Yunho and strutted outside. Yunho dusted his clothes and gave us a reassuring smile. "I won't run away." He said then left.

            "We trust you." I heard Kimmi murmur.

            I looked around. "Let's get started then."

            There were three things that must be done, four now that we had to put the desks upright: clean the board; dust the windows, desks and shelves; and sweep the room. Kimmi gladly began to clean the board while I put the tables in their proper places.

            "May I help you?" Jaejoong appeared out of nowhere and grabbed two corners of the desk I was holding. My eyes widened a little as I stared at him. He was smiling sweetly and it made him look almost as if he was a completely different person, however his eyes were hollow and empty. It made me feel that I should keep a distance away from him.

            "Thank you." I mumbled hastily and rushed to the next desk only to trip on a chair leg. As I fell, I felt an arm wrap around my waist. My body twisted around and I faced the person who was supporting my back by the arm, Jaejoong. I looked deep into his eyes as he stared back at mine. This time, his glance displayed concern, with a hint of fear. 

            "There's no need to act like a gentleman if you don't want to." Yunho walked back in the classroom casually. I quickly stood up and straightened myself. Kimmi tried to read my face which was slightly flushed. Yunho grabbed a whiteboard eraser. "Just do what you have to do and feel disgusted as usual."

            Jaejoong smirked coldly at Yunho, his hollowness in his eyes returned. "I was simply trying to keep myself entertained." He responded. I started putting the desks upright again and Jaejoong offered to help again.

            "I know it's crazy," Kimmi whispered to Yunho, "but I think they look good together." I heard it and I think Jaejoong heard it too because he chuckled with satire.

            "I think that you are crazy, Kimmi," Jaejoong said, "to think that a good girl would like a bad boy like me." I looked from Kimmi who now stared at her own two feet nervously, to Yunho who was merrily cleaning and not taking anyone's words to heart, then at Jaejoong who just looked coolly back. At least there was something that we both agreed on.

            "I think that we should start sweeping the place." Kimmi awkwardly broke the silence. "Minni, let's go to the storeroom to get the brooms."

            I slowly nodded.

            "Aren't you supposed to be helping me out here?" Jaejoong scolded at me.

            "You can do those yourself for now." Yunho shouted from the front of the classroom. "They're just bringing the brooms here, it won't take long. I'll help you out if it takes too long."

            I let go of the table and exited the classroom. The storeroom was just down the corridor but before we reached it, two familiar faces were standing by the classroom door waiting for me. 

            "Hey sis." Kim Junsu greeted politely. He was my foster little brother who had short black hair and a cheesy smile. Beside him was Kim Hana, Junsu's little sister, beautiful like a rose with long wavy dark brown hair and grey contacts. She however hurts you like a thorn. She would be even prettier if she smiled more but she always felt like she wasn't getting everything she wanted. 

            "Why are you taking so long?" She whined. "I even finished talking to Jaemi and you're still not ready."

            "Sorry." I muttered.

            "Don't say sorry, hurry up!" Hana grew impatient.

            "Sure, you can wait inside if you like. Jaejoong and Yunho are in there." Kimmi interrupted. The siblings brightened up when they heard Kimmi's words. Junsu had always admired Yunho because he was a classic role model throughout the school. Hana liked Jaejoong for as long as I can remember; she said he looked hot. Both rushed inside, I looked to Kimmi and she just shrugged her shoulders. "I knew that would work. Hana always makes you suffer."

           

                        "Let go!" 

            Kimmi and I quickly rushed in when Jaejoong started raging at the top of his lungs. Hana was clinging tightly to his arm and Yunho and Junsu were dashing to the couple. 

            "I just want to help out." Hana frowned.

            Junsu laughed. "You don't even do anything at home. What makes you think you can do anything here?"

            "Junsu!" Hana exclaimed, pointing at her brother with one hand and holding Jaejoong with the other. "At least I'm smarter than you. And I'm younger than you too!"

            "Leader," Junsu turned to Yunho, "I think my sister needs some helpful advise."

            Yunho nodded and looked at Hana. "Hana, you are a beautiful, smart young lady but you have to understand that Jaejoong is a very aggressive child. He likes to hurt people." He held out his arm that still looked painful from Jaejoong's attack. "See the redness of my arm, this is what Jaejoong is capable of."

            Hana shook her head in disagreement. "But he won't do that to a girl." Hana retorted, grabbing Jaejoong’s arm with both hands now.

            "Yes I will." Jaejoong suddenly said icily. "I can hurt you. I can do it to you right now."

            Hana hesitated for a while but then she stepped towards him. "Do it then, prove it!" She challenged.

            Jaejoong glared at her with sad eyes; however sad they were, they were also merciless. I couldn't stand there and do nothing, so I ran. I ran to stand between him and Hana as he lifted the palm of his hand. And then that hand slapped me across the face.