Twentythird Chill

Hero of Ice

                        As soon as he found out that his mother looked after the rose bushes in the backyard, Jaejoong tended to them. He changed the soil and watered them until they bloomed again.

            At 9 years of age, Jaejoong saw the first red rose sprout after his mother’s death. Jaejoong picked it and put it in a vase and laid it on his father’s study desk. His father returned home later that night, only to be traumatised to see the red rose.

            “What did you do?” He hissed at Jaejoong.

            “It’s a rose. Mum loved looking after the roses so I thought I should look after them too.” Jaejoong tried to smile but it was ridiculously hard to when his father was giving him an unreadable expression.

            Someone had told him that being good would make his father love him. Shouldn’t his father love this? Keep trying. He told himself. He had to be patient.

            “Get out.” His father instructed. It wasn’t threatening but it was still cold and emotionless. Jaejoong made his way to the door and stood at the doorway. Narin stood before him; it was obvious that she had witnessed the whole scene. She stepped in and shut the door silently.

            Jaejoong didn’t budge. He stood at the door and leaned his ear on the door. This was how he found out how his mother had died. This was how he found out that Narin was his mother’s best friend. This was how he found out why his father hated him so much.

            “It’s beautiful what he can do.” Narin’s gentle voice resonated in the room.

            “Useless.” His father said.

            “He’s only 9 years old.”

            “He’s useless.”

            “What do you expect him to do then?” Narin bursted. “What more do you want from him? You’ve already hurt him so much.”

            There was a moment of silence. “I want Yoorin back.” His father said at last.

            “How can you be so blind?” Narin hinted. “Jaejoong is becoming more like his mother every passing day.”

            “But it’s not the same, Narin.”

            “Maybe you should let go of the pain and take in the antidote.” Narin’s voice was nearing the door.

            “The antidote you’re talking about, was what killed her in the first place.” His father was close to the door as well. Narin swiftly opened the door and walked out, only to stop in her tracks when she saw Jaejoong.

            On the other hand, his father’s face was furious. The man swiped his son across the face. “Who taught you to listen to our conversation?” He bellowed. “You’re acting like a sneaky spy.”

            Jaejoong bowed low though his cheek still stung. “I’m sorry father, I won’t do it again.”

            “No more roses too.”

            “Yes.” Jaejoong said strongly. “And I’ll live in this house quietly too. If I make you angry, I’ll keep myself out of your sight.”

            “Jaejoong, what are you saying?” Narin asked.

            Jaejoong looked up with determination. “It’s the least I can do. I’ll take my leave now.”

            “Let’s see how well this scoundrel can keep his words.” That was the last words he heard from his father that day.

 

 

 

 

                        “When are you going to kiss me?” Jaejoong asked his girlfriend as they strolled home together.

            “Not yet.” Minni said rashly.

            Jaejoong seized the opportunity to pucker his lips a little and move in close to her. Minni playfully shoved his face away by twisting his head away from her. She laughed at Jaejoong’s childishness. At the same time, she knew that he wasn’t being serious. Jaejoong’s erted ways were one of his ways of hiding his true self.

            “And you’re home.” Jaejoong announced when they reached her front porch. “I feel like I’m a regular visitor here.”

            “Well at the very least, you’re not barging in this time.”

            “I was not ‘barging’ in.” Jaejoong corrected her. “I was inviting myself in.”

            Minni pointed a finger at him. “You have no right.”

            Jaejoong sighed. “Stop making me want to kiss you.”

            Minni’s finger edged in closer to Jaejoong’s face. “You have no right to do that either.”

            Jaejoong heaved in another sigh. Then out of nowhere, he hoisted her up and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. Her feet were a foot off the ground. Minni found that she had to look down at him and as usual, a sly grin was on his face. “Kiss me and I’ll let you go.”

            “Does it count?” She asked. She didn’t want to be cheated. Jaejoong’s lips twisted before he reluctantly nodded. Minni put her hands on his shoulders to stabilise herself so she didn’t cause any accidents. Maybe if she did it slowly, she wouldn’t make any mistakes. Minni lowered her head slowly, this time rotating her head a little so that their noses didn’t knock into each other. It was very nerve-racking for Minni, since his kisses were always so sudden. Minni wanted to quickly get it over and done with but she had to do it slowly and what more, her eyes were watching her sloppy attempt. It was okay, Minni told myself, just a little bit more. She could already feel the warmth of his lips radiating in the small gap between them.

            A sudden vibration interrupted her concentration and Minni pulled away immediately. It was Jaejoong’s phone. Jaejoong ignored it and waited patiently for Minni to continue. “Answer it.” She said, well, more like ordered.

            Jaejoong let out a heave of air and let her go. “You’re always ruining the fun.” He grabbed the phone from his pocket and looked at the caller ID. Seeing a familiar name, he looked back at Minni, hoping not to raise any suspicion.

            “Who is it?” Minni asked.

            “My ex-girlfriend.” Jaejoong answered cheerily.

            Minni’s eyes widened. “You mean Hana?”

            “Don’t worry, I will always love you more.” Jaejoong ruffled her hair and then pulled in to kiss her sweetly on the cheek. “Goodbye Minni. I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

            Minni was shocked by his abrupt departure again. It didn’t look like he cared about her more than Hana. When she had entered the house and Jaejoong had heard a distinct click from the door, he picked up his phone.

            “What’s up?”

            There was a light chuckle on the other end. “I thought you would have been observant enough to notice me by now.”

            Jaejoong scanned the area and saw a sleek black car parked across the road. It’s windows were so darkly tinted that it was hard to see whether there were people within the vehicle. Immediately, the window rolled down and Yunho poked his head out of it and gave a side smirk. “Need a ride?” Yunho said through the phone.

            “Sure.” Jaejoong accepted the offer and headed towards the car. He took the vacant passenger seat and Yunho started the car.

            “Has that guy caught up yet?” Yunho asked.

            “He was at her house on the same day she arrived home.” Jaejoong reported.

            “What?!” Yunho cussed out of shock.

            “Don’t worry.” Jaejoong explained. “I’ve kept it under control.” Yunho didn’t say anything so Jaejoong continued. “The culprit is tied to the basement in my house. Your Minni is safe… for now.” Yunho still say anything but his hands seemed to clench the steering wheel with a lot of pressure. “Is something wrong Yunho?” Jaejoong asked. The car screeched as Yunho pulled over. Jaejoong, not wearing a seatbelt fell forward, his head almost colliding with the dashboard. “What is wrong with you?”

            Yunho turned to look at his friend. “Are you sure you don’t like Minni?” He questioned Jaejoong seriously.

            Jaejoong was taken back by Yunho’s question. It was true that he and Minni were close friends who were faking a relationship on the sidelines. There was no way that he could like her when all he wanted to do was to protect from the bullying at school and perhaps now, his father. But the question still struck a chord. Could it be that he likes Minni?

            “No.” Jaejoong responded although he was still uncertain. “Minni and I are only friends. I’m just trying to protect her.”

            Yunho heaved at his answer. Relief washed over him. To Yunho, Jaejoong was always an honest friend and he believed him, even now. Even though Jaejoong liked to and make him angry, he was a loyal old friend.  “Can I ask for a favour from you?” Yunho asked yet another question.

            “What is it?” Jaejoong muttered half-heartedly, now wondering what it really felt like to love someone.

            “I know that Minni is pretending to be your girlfriend and all but can you limit your contacts?” Yunho seemed to be pleading. “The hugs and the handholding is fine but the kisses…” Yunho began to falter and his voice lowered. “The kisses just piss me off.” He admitted shamefully.

            “I…” Jaejoong wavered although he knew he was making the right choice. “I won’t kiss her anymore.”

            “Really?” Yunho’s voice was brighter. He sounded happier. And that was enough for Jaejoong. A slight smile spread across his face and he nodded.

 

 

 

                        “Come in.” Jungwoo urged me in. “Quietly.”

            I tip-toed into the room as silent as a mouse. As Haeyoung’s bed grew nearer, I felt my stomach churn. I stopped in my tracks and looked to Jungwoo. “I can’t do it. What if he wakes up?”

            Jungwoo winked at me, just to ease my conscience. “Don’t worry. Haeyoung is a very heavy sleeper.”

            I gulped and took careful steps towards Haeyoung. When I saw how soundly he slept, I relaxed. He looked so soft, so little, so cute. “He looks like a princess.” I couldn’t help but try and suppress my giggles. Haeyoung didn’t even stir in his sleep.

            Jungwoo beside me seemed to agree. “Now all we have to do is to get him a long blonde curly wig and a ruffly pink dress.”

            I guffawed at that remark. But suddenly, Jungwoo placed a hand to my mouth and tried to hold me still in place. That was when I noticed that Haeyoung was tossing and turning in bed. I froze in position because that was the only way to keep silent. Jungwoo behind me, seemed to be moulding me like clay. When the patient’s eyes started to open, Jungwoo pushed me to the ground to hide beside the bed.

            “Jungwoo, what are you doing back here?” Haeyoung’s drowsy voice spoke. “I thought I told you I was going to sleep now?”

            “I was just looking for my cap.” Jungwoo lied. “Why aren’t you sleeping?”

            “I thought I heard that girl’s voice.” Haeyoung cussed.

            Jungwoo raised an eyebrow and looked anywhere but at me, feeling nervous. “Minji?” I flinched a little at the mention of my name.

            “Yes!” Haeyoung exclaimed hotly. “Why can’t she just leave me alone?”

            “But she is leaving you alone.” Jungwoo added ironically. “I mean, you haven’t seen her face yet, have you? It’s been nearly two weeks.”

            Haeyoung scoffed. “She’s so stupid. I tell her that I want her to die and she tells me not to die.” I took in the conversation. “If only I told her who I really was and why I hate her so much, then she’d really wish I died that day.”

            “Why would she wish you died?” Jungwoo asked.

            “She’ll know how badly I want her dead.”

            “Then why don’t you tell her the truth?” Jungwoo asked. “So at the very least she’ll understand.”

            “Why would I tell her when I don’t even want to see her face?” Haeyoung sneered. “You can’t tell her either. You promised me you won’t tell anyone.”

            I don’t know why but I was clenching my fist. What did this guy have against me? Did I kill someone or something? I certainly remember not. I looked up at Jungwoo’s calm expression and relaxed a little. I had to stay hidden because I was not to be seen.

            “Well she doesn’t want you dead, Haeyoung.” Jungwoo said. “And if you still want her dead, I can’t stop you from thinking that. But I’ll stop you from killing her.”

            I felt butterflies in my stomach and I beamed at Jungwoo. I was going to marry this guy no matter what.

            “Keep being her prince charming then.” Haeyoung stated.

            Jungwoo’s expression hardened. “I will. So why don’t you try and kill her then?”

            I was astonished when out of nowhere, Jungwoo grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me up. I saw the familiar frail boy for a split second and then covered my face with my hair. “I can’t see you so you can’t see me.” I squeaked.

            “I can hear you.” Haeyoung muttered frustratedly.

            “I’m sorry that I let you see me again. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” I spoke quickly. “Sorry.” I dashed towards the door. My head hit it hard. How could I forget that the door was still closed?

            “Minji!” Two people yelped with concern.

            I felt a strong set of arms pull me up and place the hair out of my face. “What are you doing?” The voice sounded like a grown up. It was my uncle. I looked around to see that my uncle must’ve entered the room while I was exiting and hence the bad impact on my head.

            “It hurts.” I whined, referring to my forehead.

            My uncle rubbed it lightly. “I’m sorry.”

            “Minji are you alright?” Jungwoo approached me.

            “Yeah, I’m fine.” I tried not to cry.

            “CAN ALL OF YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!?” Haeyoung roared, giving everyone, but predominantly me, a very malicious glare.

            I tensed up and grabbed my uncle’s hand. “Come on let’s go.” I ushered my uncle to leave with me. Jungwoo understood the situation well and followed after.

            “Who was that little boy?” My uncle asked when we were out of Haeyoung’s sight.

            I started to pout. “A boy who hates me.” And then I cried. Haeyoung really really hated me and I felt awful.

            My uncle hugged me and kissed me on my injured forehead, patting my back to comfort me. He then realised Jungwoo’s presence. “Who are you?” He asked.

            Jungwoo bowed low. “I am Gu Jungwoo, the boy Minji plans to marry when she grows up; that is, if I accept her proposal.”

            I flushed and hit Jungwoo. My uncle looked from me to Jungwoo. “When I grow up uncle, Jungwoo’s going to propose to me and I’m going to reject him.” I stated strongly.

            Jungwoo clenched his chest and feigned pain. “My heart hurts already Minji. Don’t do this to me.” I giggled hysterically. Jungwoo always knew how to brighten things up.

           

 

                        “I’m sorry I can’t walk you home today.” Jaejoong apologised. “I know you’ll miss me sweet pea.”

            “It’s okay.” I said. “Quickly get home, rest, eat well and start studying.”

            Jaejoong grinned. “So I can get more kisses?”

            I smiled back only this time, I didn’t mean it. “No silly. To get better.” I made another condition. “For every grade that is not 100 percent, you get one kiss deducted. And for every full score I get, one kiss gets deducted as well.” Jaejoong gave a disappointed expression but he didn’t object. “So watch out.” I warned him.

            Jaejoong nodded. “Yes, my sweet little angel.” I blushed and he flicked my forehead. Before I could say anything, he ran to the corner, gave a hurried wave of a goodbye and dashed off out of sight. My chest felt light lately. It was because during the past three days, Jaejoong had not pushed me to kiss him. He was giving me space and time to prepare myself. I liked that.

            I turned around to head home only to crash into a middle-aged man. I bowed low to the man on the floor. “I’m sorry.” I said and helped him up.

            “My leg is feeling funny today.” The man stated simply tipping his hat up a little but he unfolded his collar against his neck to keep it warm. “If you don’t mind, can you help me cross the road please?”

            I nodded gladly. I slung an arm around my shoulder and took small slow steps with him when the road was clear. Halfway across the road, a sleek black car appeared in front of us. The man, who suddenly seemed full of strength held me tightly and opened the door, pushing me in.

            In a state of panic, I tried to improvise and decide to escape from the other door of the car. The man quickly closed the door and the chauffeur locked the doors. The man got a knife from his hand and pinned it against my throat. “Don’t scream.” He said before I could and all I did was in a breath.

            “Who are you?” I asked fearfully. “What do you want?”

            “Never mind who I am!” The man bellowed threateningly.

            I shook in fear. But all of a sudden, the feel of cold metal left my skin. I opened my eyes to a man who seemed to be stern but at the very least, not crazy mad. A side of his lips pulled up slightly. Was he smiling? “You have to be more careful, girl.” His voice sounded very calm. “Don’t trust others too easily. What if I was a serial killer?”

            “So you’re not a serial killer?” I questioned, heaving a sigh of relief.

            He shook his head. “Having sympathy for others is good but don’t let it make you lose a sense of caution.”

            I nodded my head slowly wondering why a stranger was giving me such advice.

            “So was that you’re boyfriend before?” The stranger asked all of a sudden. He put his knife away, awaiting a response.

            “No.” I replied. I didn’t want to lie to him for some reason. “He’s a friend.”

            “Are you sure?” The man asked, eyeing me. This time he wanted a completely honest response.

            “Yes.” I said strongly.

            The man believed me. “Okay. You’re dismissed.” He gestured to the car door that the driver unlocked. “Take care of yourself.”

            I let myself out and the car zoomed off. What was all that?

 

 

 

                        Jaejoong was pacing in the sitting room. His father would be back soon. The feeling of anxiety was too much. He pulled his hair with his hands. What should he say? What should he do?

            “Jaejoong.” The smooth voice was heard.

            Jaejoong turned around to look at his father for a split second, and then he bowed in respect. “Father.”

            “What did you have to say?” His father asked with superiority.

            “I’m back now.” Jaejoong began. “So I would like to humbly ask of you. Please don’t harm anyone anymore.”

            “Who do you think I am harming?”

            “Lee Minni.” Jaejoong answered.

            “Is she your girlfriend?” His father asked.

            Jaejoong shook his head. “We are in a fake relationship father. I don’t want you to misunderstand. You didn’t have to hire a man to kill her, like you have done in the past.”

            “Hired a man?”

            Jaejoong looked up at the man he had respected the most. He still respected him but it was only because he was his father, nothing else. “That man is in the basement.”

            His father looked down the hall, slightly confused but his face seemed only to have one expression; a blank unreadable face. “I didn’t hire a man.” His father said gruffly.       

            Jaejoong looked at his father stunned. “You didn’t?”

            “But I am willing to compromise.”

            “How so?”

            His father was very serious now. “You go back to your tertiary studies and I’ll protect this Lee Minni for you.”

            “And what if I don’t?” Jaejoong challenged his father.

            His father lifted a hand, ready to attack his son for defying his orders. Jaejoong flinched but didn’t retreat. The older man calmed a little and slowly dropped his hand. “If not, go back and watch over her yourself.” His father stalked to the door and paused. “Although, the smart choice would be to have the police force on your side.” He then exited the room.

            Jaejoong’s tensed heart, eased but he grew worried. Now he had to choose whether to leave Minni or not. And he didn’t want to leave her.

           

 

 

 

 

AN: 

sorry guys but this is not properly edited...

i do hope you enjoy it though, although it is quite sad

*cries* Jaejoong TT

and so sorry about the wait

will update asap, whitedreamm