A FATHER'S LOVE

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

Jiyong couldn’t sit still. Dara’s voice kept ringing in his ear.  Her coldness surprised him.  YG was right.  She’s one tough cookie to handle. 

He had to think of another way to approach her.  Knowing he has a child with her was making him change his plans.  All he had planned has to be put aside.  A future with his little girl is what matters the most. 

The next day, clad in his most decent suit, he approached the reception desk of Park Enterprises.  He ignored the curious look of the employees passing him by.  Most of the female employees were shrieking demurely when they recognized G-Dragon talking to the receptionist.  She was red all over her face.  Trying very hard not to scream and jump over the marble counter separating her from the unexpected guest.

“Good morning.  Can I speak with Mr. Park?” G-Dragon smiled his most charismatic smile.  He swore the girl already peed on her .

“Er- Do you have an appointment with Mr. Park?” The receptionist asked.  She was already hyperventilating.

“I’m afraid I don’t have an appointment.  But can you at least tell him Kwon Jiyong wants to speak with him?  Please…” he blinked his eyes like a puppy.  The receptionist gasped.

“I-I’ll try to ask Mr. Park’s secretary if he can squeeze you in his schedule.”

“I would really appreciate it, Miss Lee.”  G-Dragon smiled once again.

Mr. Park’s secretary entered the office after knocking twice.  She just stood in front of his oak office table.  Mr. Park looked up from his documents.  His secretary is acting weird.

“Yes, Miss Jang?  Is there a problem?”  The CEO adjusted his reading glasses.

“S-sir.  Someone wants to speak with you.”  The secretary nervously spoke.  Mr. Park peeked at his digital planner.  His next appointment is not due until afternoon.

“You know the policy, Miss Jang.” 

“Yes, Sir.  But, he said it’s very urgent.”

“Who is it, Miss Jang?”

“It’s G-Dragon, Sir.”

Mr. Park’s forehead creased.  The name sounds ridiculous.

“G-Dragon?”

“His real name is Kwon Jiyong.  He’s the most famous artist in KPop.  He’s a singer, rapper, composer and producer.  He’s the leader of Big-“

“Miss Jang!”  Mr. Park cut off the secretary.  She was getting too excited.

“I don’t understand a word you’re saying.  Why would a dragon wants to speak with me?”

“I don’t know, Sir.”

“Miss Jang, you’re becoming incompetent.”

“I’m sorry, Sir.”  The secretary bowed her head in embarrassment.

“Send him up.”

Miss Jang almost run to the door after getting approval.  Mr. Park shook his head.  Who is that dragon that even his prim and proper secretary would swoon and get all excited?


 

JIYONG’S POV

I started sweating on my way up to Park Enterprises’ CEO office suite.  I laughed nervously at myself.  This is a first.  I didn’t expect meeting my child’s grandfather for the first time could be so nerve racking.  All the things I practiced many times before coming suddenly disappeared in my head.  I should have written it on a paper. AISSTTT!!!

The secretary lead me to a double door when I finally arrived at the CEO’s office suite.  She announced my presence and let me step inside.  Mr. Park was staring at Seoul’s skyline.  His back on me.

“Anyeong-haseyo.  I’m Kwon Jiyong.  I’m sorry for coming without prior appointment.”  I bowed ninety degrees.  My back was already complaining before I heard him speak. 

“What business do you have with me, Mr. Kwon?”  Mr. Park asked with a stern voice.  He speaks like his daughter.

“I want to talk about your grand daughter.  She’s my daughter.”

There was no reaction on the old man’s face.  Or he’s just a good at hiding his real emotions.  He wouldn’t be the CEO of Park Enterprises for nothing.

He took his seat and lighted a cigar.  Just like a scene in a mobster drama.

“What is your name again, young man?”

“Kwon Jiyong, Sir?”  I answered proudly.

“And you claim you’re the father of my granddaughter.”  He repeated.

“Yes, sir.”

“How do you proposed it happened?”

There was mockery in his voice.  My ears were starting to burn.

“It’s a long story, Sir.”

“How can you be so sure you’re the father of our Gon-ah?”

Gon-ah.  I repeated her name in my head.  Could it be she named her after my stage name?

“She told me when we met in the airport, Sir.”

The old man burst laughing.  I can see steam coming out from my nose.  I had to endure the humiliation I’m receiving from my daughter’s grandpa.

“I’m sorry.  I can’t help laughing.  I just remembered the last person my grand daughter claimed to be his father.”  Mr. Park wiped the tears that escaped from the corner of his eyes.

I just stared at him.

“You see.  My grand daughter is such a jokester.  And unfortunately, you happened to be his latest victim.”  Mr. Park continued.  I started to get confused.

“She has this habit of claiming a random person his own father.  And she always does it in public.  You don’t know how her mother is always embarrassed when she does her little prank.  There was even a couple who almost divorced because of that little girl.”

“I don’t think she’s joking when she said I’m her father.”  I told him in a serious tone.

“She’s a very good actress.  Anybody would believe her.  She’s so adorable not to believe her.”

“I want to meet her.”  I was not dazed by him.  I strongly believe that she is my child.

Mr. Park’s expression changed.  He walked back to his chair. 

“I think I’ve said enough, Mr. Kwon.  You’re taking more of my time than necessary.  If you’ll excuse me, I have more important things to do.  My secretary will show you the way out.”

The old man pressed a button.  The secretary immediately appeared.

“Mr. Kwon is leaving now.  Please show him the way out.”  He instructed.

“This way, Mr. Kwon.”  She sounded business-like avoiding eye contact.

“I’m going to see my daughter no matter what.  I don’t believe she’s just making a prank on me.”

“Goodbye, Mr. Kwon.”  He dismissed me with a wave of his hand.  I have never been humiliated in my entire life.  Dara Park and his father are making me feel inferior and worthless.  My status doesn’t matter in their world.  But, I will make sure they will acknowledge me as the father of Gon-ah.  I bet my life on it.


“Send me Kwon Jiyong’s profile!”  I shouted at the intercom.

Kwon Jiyong.  G-Dragon!  What a ridiculous name.  How on earth did he become Gon-ah’s father?  Dara never mentioned anything about him.  She was doing great raising her child alone in San Francisco.  When she announced she was pregnant and wanted to keep the baby, I didn’t say anything.  I saw determination in her eyes I’ve never seen before.  I thought having a child would straighten her wild ways.  And I was right.  She became a successful mother and businesswoman in her own ways. 

I raised my head when Miss Jang entered the office.  Her hands were shaking when she handed me the report.

“Advise the reception not to let that man enter the building.”

“S-sir?”  Miss Jang’s voice quivered.

“You heard me, Miss Jang.  Or you’ll face the consequences.  Do you understand?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“You also understand that everything happening in my office is strictly confidential.”  I reminded the secretary.

“Of course, Sir.”

“That’s all, Miss Jang.”  I dismissed the secretary.  I didn’t know that behind Miss Jang’s professionalism is also a woman swooning over some good-looking good for nothing celebrity.

The folder in my table is thicker than I expected.  It’s like Miss Jang has been compiling things about Kwon Jiyong.  I started browsing through the pages.  The more I know him, the more I dislike him.  No wonder Dara chose to raise her child without the father’s knowledge.  He’s a public figure and a scandal magnet rolled into one.  Getting my grand child associated with the likes of him will be trouble. 

I have reached a decision without even looking at his full profile.

He can’t mess up my family’s life.