UNSPOKEN TRUTH

BEHIND THE SPOTLIGHT

Bom was dumbfounded after she heard what happened. She just stared at me. Disbelief in her widened eyes.

I stayed beside Jiyong through the rest of the flight.

It was the longest flight I ever had. I wished we could have just made an emergency landing at any nearby airport.

But the doctor said it’s not really necessary. Jiyong’s vital signs were almost normal although he remained unconscious.

When the plane landed at Incheon Airport, an ambulance was already waiting at the tarmac. The pilot had alerted the ground control of the situation beforehand. The medical team was ready to transfer Jiyong to the hospital.

Mr. Yang was there at the airport together with the medical team. His jaw tightened when he saw me emerged from the crowd assisting Jiyong lying on a gurney. I slightly nodded at him but, he ignored me.

Bom and I followed the ambulance to the hospital. I noticed Mr. Yang talking to one of the head doctors. They seemed to know each other.

After the conversation, the head doctor started giving hushed instructions to the staff on-duty. I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Jiyong was immediately sent for CT Scan.

“Miss Park.”

I heard Mr. Yang calling my name. I raised my head to find him looking sternly at me.

“I think you should leave now. People will be coming to see Jiyong. I don’t want any unnecessary things  to happen. You’ve caused enough damaged to Jiyong already. I think it’s better if you leave before he wakes up.”

“Excuse me?”

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Was he really asking me to leave without telling me what’s going on with Jiyong?

“I don’t understand-“

“Where’s my son?” A panicked voice interrupted me. The old woman rushed to Mr. Yang’s side. Her husband was right behind her.

“Mrs. Kwon.”

“ Mr. Kwon.”

Mr. Yang bowed to the elders.

“What happened to my Jiyongie?” The old woman asked worriedly. Her husband was trying to calm her.

“He’s still unconscious but, the doctor said he’s fine. They’re doing some tests on him right now.”

“My poor Jiyongie. Why did this happen to him again?  Did something happen?” The old woman asked in agony.  She reached for the bench helplessly. Her hand clutching her chest. She started sobbing on her hands.

“Aren’t you Sandara?” Mr. Kwon suddenly asked. His wife looked at me with teary eyes. I glanced at Mr. Yang but, he just looked away.

I suddenly felt awkward. I didn’t know how to introduce myself to Jiyong’s parents. I felt more guilty of what happened at the airplane.

“Sandara-“ Mrs. Kwon uttered my name painfully. She started crying again. Bom nudged me to speak.

I bowed 90 degrees to the elderly couple. They are my daughter’s grandparents afterall.

“Anyeong haseyo. My name is Sandara Park-“

“We’ve been trying to reach you. We kept asking your father for your whereabouts but, he kept chasing us away.”

The words coming from Jiyong’s father struck me like lightning. His words were like bomb to my ears.

“I don’t understand.” Was all I could mutter. I was totally lost for words.

“So much had happened since you disappeared, Miss Park.” Mr. Yang continued. He paused once again to regain his composure.

Disappeared? What were they talking about? What they’re saying to me doesn’t make sense. I felt like my head is going to explode with the tension around me.

“I really don’t understand.”

“Where is our son’s daughter?” Mr. Kwon asked.

“Gon-ah? She’s in Paris-”

“We just wanted her to see her father. Maybe it would help Jiyong if he saw his child once more.”

“Can you please tell me what’s going on here? What’s wrong with Jiyong?” My voice rose a pitch higher.

“He is suffering from Selective Amnesia. He forgot everything about you and your daughter.” 

“What? How? Why?”

So many questions popped in my mind simultaneously. I glanced at the closed door where Jiyong was being tested.

“He was traumatized after the accident. It was not the same for him anymore. He can’t even stand the spotlight. It was frustrating to see him struggle by just watching the others from the side lines. I know he’s been wanting to get back onstage but, he just can’t do it.”

“What exactly happened? Why did he disappear?”

Shock was visible on everyone’s eyes. Something’s not right.

“He did not disappear. After that girl tried to slash Jiyong’s throat, he got paranoid after waking up from his comatose state.”

“Why didn’t I read or heard about this? I tried calling him several times after returning to San Francisco.”

“I think you should ask your father.” Mr. Yang suggested.

“My father? What does he has to do with this?”

“He made sure no news of Jiyong reached you. He kept you and your daughter hidden from us.”

“What?!”